Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 33,253 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to rochester ( if hired by the transportation authority) and I'm very nervous. I will be a single mom with three children and I need help finding a safe community to live in. Actually, I need all the information possible to help me in my move. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you to all who can help and may God bless you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Lax

58 posts, read 452,033 times
If you are a single mother, I'd reccomend any suburb. Webster, Penfield, Fairport, Greece. If you are working for the TSA, would you be working at the airport? In that case, Greece would be the closest.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:54 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lax View Post
If you are a single mother, I'd reccomend any suburb. Webster, Penfield, Fairport, Greece. If you are working for the TSA, would you be working at the airport? In that case, Greece would be the closest.
Good advice. Webster, Penfield, Fairport and Greece are all good working class neighborhoods.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:58 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Yup, Greece is closest (of those named so far) to the airport; and is also one of the safest municipalities in the country (I believe it was ranked 3rd in 2003, just behind the #1 Amherst, which is a suburb of Buffalo). Greece is sort of looked down at being a "West side" suburb; but I grew up there and it is an EXCELLENT place to raise kids. Just ask J-mac!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 55,773 times
Fairport/Perinton was ranked #62 on Money Magazine's list of Top 100 Places to Live in the U.S.: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money.../top100_3.html

Old 12-04-2006, 01:10 AM

19 posts, read 119,421 times
another town directy adjacent to the airport is Chili. Pronounced by the locals as Ch-eye-lie. The southern and western parts of the town area are probably the nicer ones.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 38,401 times
I agree those are the best places to live in, however they are very expensvie! My husband and I are looking for houses right now. Fairport and Pennfield would have you paying well over 140,000 for houses. We only have one income right now so our price range is in the 70-89 thousand range. (I'm just guessing you might be in a similar situation?)

Well, the house market is actually great right now, there are many to choose from. Chili is a good area, that's where we are looking. We want to be in good neighborhood when we have children but also close enough to the expressways.
I would definatly encourage you to check out Chili, Gates, and much of Greece, considereing they are nice neighborhoods and good school districts. (There are also Brockport, and Parma) I would discourage you to from the inner city of Rochester, parts of Greece near the city limits, and Irondequoit.

I hope that helps.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:44 PM

75 posts, read 340,667 times
You should consider looking into homes east of Mt. Read Blvd. and north of Ridge Road in Greece. The homes there are older, so they are quite inexpensive (most less than $100k) and the neighborhoods are quite safe.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRose777 View Post
I would discourage you to from the inner city of Rochester, parts of Greece near the city limits, and Irondequoit.

I would say Irondequoit is a great place to live if you stay north of Titus Ave. Riding your bike to the beach on the new trails, close proximity to Sea Breeze Park for the kids and perfectly safe neighborhoods. The Irondequoit PD is top notch and keeps the undesirables from the worst parts of the city nearby out of town.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Default Move to Greece

You will be very happy with Greece. Move as "west" as you can afford.

You'll find something. Just keep looking. It's a buyer's market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area