Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 AM

33 posts, read 124,787 times

Advertisements

I'm sure if I took half a day I could find everything already out there but I don't have half a day to look so just ask the question.

Anyone have a experience with being a landlord in Brockport? I was thinking about purchasing a multi-unit dwelling in Rochester but then by accident stumbled about some Brockport listings that really looked awesome and by my standards (Baltimore, MD) were very well priced - even better in some cases than Rochester - Ellwanger, Swillburg, Corn Hill, and even Southwedge.

The intent would be to rent out half, and keep the other possibly for my own lodging when visiting the area.

I'm an east sider (Webster) orginally and admit that I don't know Brockport all that well. Other than the basic "things to know about being a landlord" and also realizing that it is a college town - drinking, parties, fights, etc.. Are there any other things to think about? Does Brockport have any special ordinaces about renting that are unusal compared to other areas because of the number of students in the area? Is there a more "residential" side to the village and a college side? Is the demand for rentals as large as any college town (basically demand outweighing supply)?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 AM

118 posts, read 626,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfULivedHere View Post
I'm sure if I took half a day I could find everything already out there but I don't have half a day to look so just ask the question.

Anyone have a experience with being a landlord in Brockport? I was thinking about purchasing a multi-unit dwelling in Rochester but then by accident stumbled about some Brockport listings that really looked awesome and by my standards (Baltimore, MD) were very well priced - even better in some cases than Rochester - Ellwanger, Swillburg, Corn Hill, and even Southwedge.

The intent would be to rent out half, and keep the other possibly for my own lodging when visiting the area.

I'm an east sider (Webster) orginally and admit that I don't know Brockport all that well. Other than the basic "things to know about being a landlord" and also realizing that it is a college town - drinking, parties, fights, etc.. Are there any other things to think about? Does Brockport have any special ordinaces about renting that are unusal compared to other areas because of the number of students in the area? Is there a more "residential" side to the village and a college side? Is the demand for rentals as large as any college town (basically demand outweighing supply)?

Brockport is a wonderful Village. As far as being a landlord, I have no experience in that field. However, I do know that in the village of Brockport, there is an ordinance regarding rentals. You cannot have more than 3 unrelated persons living in a rental property. This caused a HUGE uproar a couple of years ago....and ticked a lot of landlords off. Especially the fact that it is a college town.

If you are serious about buying a rental here, I would contact the Town/Village Offices if I were you...to avoid future headaches and hassles.

Town Of Sweden - Monroe County NY

Village of Brockport NY - Home Page

Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,578 times
I have lived in the Brockport area most of my life and it is good for renting to students. Lately what I have been reading the last few years the students and landlord relationships are in a bit of disagreement .
Brockport Rental Laws Called Unfair (http://www.rnews.com/print.cfm?id=26863 - broken link)
Democrat & Chronicle: 4 battle for board seats in Brockport
I am currently living in the heart of South Wedge and currently there is a local attempt to revitalize the area. My landlords performance has been poor but does not mean that the rest are bad. In the past 4 years that I have lived in South Wedge it has gone up and down. Currently The past few years safety in the wedge is questionable. I would say especially closer to the city. The area experience about 3 to 4 murders a year for a population of 24,200 people, which has also since 2000 seen about a population decline of 15%. Home prices vary by street of course but the average is $82,419.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:10 PM

226 posts, read 312,066 times
I've lived in Brockport and I liked it. It's a college town. It's grown a lot. Hadn't been there in 5 years and when I visited last summer, I couldn't believe how much it changed.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:26 AM

12 posts, read 25,770 times
there is sorda mix between clledge houses and locals . i know a couple peple that are into the realitor buiseness put it like this no matter where you buy a house or apts. your gonna sell instantly my advice would be to rentavate as much property as you can this town is a great neghborhood nothin close to bien ghetto id say its a gold mine. if you could find places to rent-out in this populated small town and getting bigger every day. this small town has become quite popular.better get some property b4 someone else does you cant lose

Old 05-06-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblae View Post
there is sorda mix between clledge houses and locals . i know a couple peple that are into the realitor buiseness put it like this no matter where you buy a house or apts. your gonna sell instantly my advice would be to rentavate as much property as you can this town is a great neghborhood nothin close to bien ghetto id say its a gold mine. if you could find places to rent-out in this populated small town and getting bigger every day. this small town has become quite popular.better get some property b4 someone else does you cant lose
so dont think twice about gettin on the gravy train. small place alotta peple alotta cash

Old 05-06-2010, 01:33 AM

not true i live wit 5 people all on the lease. not all places the same

Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfULivedHere View Post

As long as you take care of the property, you'll be fine. They keep a watchful eye on rental properties and don't hesitate to write them up. Being out of town, I'd recommend contracting with a property management company familiar with Brockport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area