Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 06:51 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times

Advertisements

After 11 years in Raleigh NC my wife and I have decided to move back home with our kids... a rising senior in high school (he doesn't mind the relocation, because his best friend is moving away as well) a freshman in HS, and a 3 year old. We were both born and raised in Greece, and when we left Rochester in 1995, the city was viewed as the crime infested center of the otherise very safe rochester area. I know that crime is still an issue in many areas of the city and that the murder rate overall is pretty high; but I recently visitied family in the area, with the anouncing if my moving home, and when driving through the city I fell in love with the Park Avenue area. The houses are all from around the turn of the century and maintained very well. I especially liked Barrington street. While I have kids and I know the city schools are horrible, I would be able to use my brother's address and send them to Pittsford schools (which I believe have been rated some of the best in the country haven't they?). I know the taxes in the city are supposed to be signifiantly lower than in most of the suburbs, and I know that my wife and I both love the idea of an older house loaded with charecter. But am I missing something bad, should I look more into some of the nice eastern suburbs first before jumping on a house in the city? I know I am not alone because I recently read in the Rochester D&C website that house sales in the city are soaring. I also will be working from home so proximity to my job, of which I know most are now in the suburbs, is not an issue. I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2006, 09:28 PM

101 people looked at it but none of ya have any advice for me?

Old 05-08-2006, 10:19 PM

363 posts, read 2,020,129 times
Smile That's funny!

I just had to tell you. I know absolutely nothing about New York, but we are also checking it out for relocation purposes. Anyway, I read your post yesterday. (My first time on this forum.) I read it because it was captivating (smile) and interesting. I just have no answers for you. I wish you and yours much luck though!

Old 05-09-2006, 12:21 PM

28 posts, read 113,834 times
Default Rochester Relocate

I am familiar with Rochester as a visitor, I grew up in Buffalo and now live about 40 miles outside Rochester. My main concern for you would be sending your kids to a district outside your home neighborhood- I did it with my daughter (now graduated) and it was hard for her to fit in with the nighborhood kids especially all summer long. If I had to give you my best advice I would look at Honeoye falls- a nice small town about 15 minutes from the city and excellent schools. They have alot of nice older victorian homes with tree lined streets, a small quaint main street and very low crime if any. If you must be in the 'city'- east Rochester is pretty safe and the schools certainly rate better. Have you tried greatschools.com?

Hope this helps!

Old 05-09-2006, 01:18 PM

Thanks a lot for everyone who has responded. I see your point about the out of town schools and the kids not knowing neighborhood kids very well. I am somewhat familiar with Honeoye Falls and it is a very nice little town, but I think it's a little to far away from everyone else. I am thinking that Brighton might be my best choice right now. It has the older homes, and the excellent schools, and the tight-knit neighborhood feel. It would also make me closer to all of my family members. I think if we were ever to move to the city it would be as empty nesters years from now.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:26 AM

10 posts, read 29,429 times
I dont know anything about the city of Rochester I am moving 20 miles south of it, all I know are the houses are way lower in price then here on Long Island. Good Luck

Old 05-12-2006, 01:25 PM

t=lol, well it doesn't take a Realtor extrodonair to figure that out. Who would have thought that in the same state that Manhattan is in, you could buy a 4 bedroom 2 bath house with a basement for under 200k.... and be in a crime free neighborhood with excellent schools? I did.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:25 PM

9 posts, read 30,461 times
I am from Rochester and visit quite frequently. I now live in Northern Virginia. I have been doing some research on real estate on Rochester homes. I have been looking at Brighton and Pittsford. I think the the homes are really nice and some have a lot of charm, plus the schools there are really good. I love the Allan Creek area. No matter where you decide to buy a home, the schools in the Rochester area are much better than other states. As for the drive to work, the traffic here is not really bad......even though fellow Rochesterians would not agree, but then again they have not had to drive in DC traffic.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:23 PM

Yeah, Brighton seems to be the area we are most strongly considering now. My sister just bought a really nice brand new house in Henreitta for a great price too. But I am more interested in older homes, of which Brighton has the most of out of any suburb. LOL, Traffic in Rochester is waiting 5 minutes at a stoplight on Ridge road. So movingsoon, are you also looking into moving back home to Rochester?

Old 05-12-2006, 10:00 PM

9 posts, read 30,461 times
I would love to my back to Rochester since my family is up here, and you get so much more "house & land" for your money. However, my husband does not like the cold weather up there. We are looking at Florida right now and trying to decide between Tampa or Jacksonville. Let me know if you need any websites to help you find a home. I have looked and there is a beautiful one that just went on the market - off of Allen's Creek. I drove by it & saw pictures online....hardwood floors, French windows, & lots of character!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area