Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:01 AM

355 posts, read 2,371,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Monroe County Farmers Markets
Now that we are on the topic of food: does anyone know of any ethnic stores /international stores /market stand in the Rochester area that would sell food from South America? I'm thinking of Uruguayan, Peruvian, Argentinean, Chilean, etc., food (e.g., empanada discs, dulce de leche, alfajores, yerba mate, etc.). Any place you may think of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 06:07 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,727,340 times
Try the public market. They usually have a variety of ethnic foods and products. They have an empanada stand there so I'm assuming that they would sell the materials for empanadas.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 PM

355 posts, read 2,371,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Try the public market. They usually have a variety of ethnic foods and products. They have an empanada stand there so I'm assuming that they would sell the materials for empanadas.
Thanks for the information. Someone mentioned a "Wegmans", which I'm assuming is like "Publix" in the southeast, or like Wal-Mart. Do you know if Wegmans has an ethnic food section? (I'm not sure how large the Hispanic population is in Rochester, or what its make-up is in terms of countries of origin)

Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,605,648 times
The Hispanic populaiton in Rochester is primarily Puerto Ricans...as in the rest of the Northeast. Wegmans is what Rochester is most proud of, it's considered one of the best grocery stores in the country, and has been rated one of the best companies in America to work for for several years now. I'm not as familiar with publix (only ever seen them in Florida) but compared to Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Winn Dixie, etc...Wagmans is much better.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:19 PM

51 posts, read 171,825 times
I'll second California Rollin', it's ruined me for sushi anywhere else.

The Amerks (well, maybe not this year), hockey, hockey, hockey!

90.5 fm WBER (hey, look at my username), the best in alternative music.

Highland Park, although I prefer it when the Lilac Fest isn't going on.

Are we really "most proud" of Wegman's though? I know this is supposed to be a positive thread, but I certainly hope we have something more to be "most proud" of besides a commercial entity...

Old 03-31-2008, 05:51 PM

haha....that was basically a joke. I will say though, that whenever you meet people in other areas who have moved from Rochester, they always mention Wegmans and how superior it is to everything else. What I'm most proud of being from Rochester is the amazing sense of community and identity we have.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 AM

525 posts, read 1,829,757 times
I vote for locking this thread. Best kept secrets are no longer secrets when you start blabbing them all over the internet. I like my quick commute and cheap real estate OK, let me get my dream house and become self employed first, then you can start blabbing.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 AM

I don't think you're going to have to worry about "the secret getting out" and everyone moving here and ruining our quality of life. Rochester is in the NORTH.....that makes it EVIL. We get SNOW and WINTERNESS! BAD BAD BAD. If it doesn't get into the 60's at least once a week durring winter in a place it is totaly not worth living in to most people in the US who see the "sunbelt" as the only habital place. Not this old frozen tundra we live in.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:13 PM

525 posts, read 1,829,757 times
I can see where they are coming from after I flew in last Friday from 60 degree DC and had to brush snow off my car on the last weekend of March

Old 04-01-2008, 03:40 PM

75 posts, read 340,890 times
It looks like we may be starting to turn the corner though--65 degrees today, and the rest of the week is supposed to be pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area