Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 06:53 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,275,985 times

Advertisements

Worst job market should translate to a glut of real estate (rentals and for sale), and declining prices. The fact is, there is a ridiculous shortage of listings.

Don't believe the headline. A review of the realtor.com map indicates that there are just six (yes, SIX) houses for sale in the City of Rochester over $200,000. That is beyond ridiculous.

Here is the recent Zillow study.

https://www.redfin.com/city/16162/NY...housing-market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 07:04 AM

93,976 posts, read 124,814,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I work with manufacturers in the Rochester/Buffalo/WNY area on a daily basis and since early 2018 many have been operating at capacity and have actually had to turn away jobs. 2018 and 2019 were record years for us and 2020 is off to a fantastic start as well. To say we have a "terrible manufacturing sector" is ridiculous. The biggest complaint I've heard is not being able to find qualified applicants. And these are well paying jobs that don't require a masters and 10+ years of experience either.
Same situation in the Syracuse area as well. What is crazy is that multiple posters have been saying this on this forum for a while now, but as leadfoot4 mentioned, I think some people are stuck on the days of when there were big manufacturing operations that employed several to 10's of thousands of people. Now, it is about the hundreds of smaller manufacturers and if anything, that is more sustainable, as you don't have an economy vested in a few big companies.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:33 AM

5,774 posts, read 4,155,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Worst job market should translate to a glut of real estate (rentals and for sale), and declining prices. The fact is, there is a ridiculous shortage of listings.

Don't believe the headline. A review of the realtor.com map indicates that there are just six (yes, SIX) houses for sale in the City of Rochester over $200,000. That is beyond ridiculous.

Here is the recent Zillow study.

https://www.redfin.com/city/16162/NY...housing-market

Plenty of jobs, great quality of life. Big city amenities, without the traffic. No reason to sell your house. There's also lots of new housing being built downtown

Old 02-25-2020, 04:03 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,466,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Does China pay you for your Chinese homerism? You should start learning Chinese so you can write articles for the Chinese media telling them how great BMW and Volvo are since the Greenville economy is owned by them. BMW is a crappy company that only exports to China anymore. BMW is getting stomped on by Tesla and other electric car makers. Volvo is another major provider of jobs in SC. Volvo is another dieing automotive company owned by China.

Record year for BMW?

Especially when you lie about your sales numbers lol. BMW is in trouble and now is faking their sales numbers.

like I said. Start practicing your Chinese.

https://carbuzz.com/news/the-feds-ar...ged-fake-sales

BMW is doing just fine. Volvo's diesel engine sales are off-the-charts worldwide, they've virtually buried their competition in a lot of markets.

Judging by your insults you have zero concept of what the term "global economy" really means.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
While an engineer or two may do the design work, lenses don't grind themselves into shape, ultrasonically clean themselves, coat themselves with various formulations of chemical materials, then assemble themselves into optical systems. So yeah, there are indeed highly skilled, "direct labor, optical jobs"......
Where?

Old 02-25-2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Indeed has 585 manufacturing jobs in Rochester right now.
Greenville, 529 jobs.

You really are channeling the Chinese media. Fake news
Sounds like you gotta real fetish for bashing people who grate on your hyper-inflated ego.

Greenville manufacturing has been light years ahead of Rochester's for many years, now, just in the jobs numbers alone. Rochester manufacturing collapsed just as I was getting into it, and quite frankly it never recovered.

Who cares what Indeed says about that category? Obviously you don't work within manufacturing, and won't educate yourself about the various sectors contained within it. How many of those jobs pay over $50K/year? $75K/year? $100K/year?

We start machinists at our place at between $90K and $110K/year.

I thought photonics was going to take off like a rocket, there? What happened to that, huh?

Last edited by HowardRoarke; 02-25-2020 at 04:25 AM..

Old 02-25-2020, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I work with manufacturers in the Rochester/Buffalo/WNY area on a daily basis and since early 2018 many have been operating at capacity and have actually had to turn away jobs. 2018 and 2019 were record years for us and 2020 is off to a fantastic start as well. To say we have a "terrible manufacturing sector" is ridiculous. The biggest complaint I've heard is not being able to find qualified applicants. And these are well paying jobs that don't require a masters and 10+ years of experience either.
Name 10.

Thanks to Trump and his economic policies manufacturing is steady in this country, it was terrible for many years in places like Rochester while we here in Greenville were swimming in cash.

I work for a high-end aerospace biz, there simply is not one company like ours anywhere in NY State. It's hard to get into our place, most of our employees are from OH, NY, PA, TN, and other states. We reach out to other places and offer a generous relocation benefit, companies in Rochester are stingy, don't pay enough, and never offer relocation to that isolated area.

Companies that struggle to find good help and advertise all the time are run by idiots, won't/refuse to to train, and at the end of the day simply are not good ones to work for. If I were looking to work for a manufacturing biz in that area, I'd try to get into one that doesn't advertise for help.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree, and I'll add that it's just a change in perception. People in my age group, and those older, lived and worked in the Rochester area when GM, Kodak, and Xerox were the prime employers, along with a number of other "medium sized" companies. Therefore, when we look at today's job landscape, we can't help but look back at when we were working, and employed by outfits that had 10,20,50,000 employees, and think that an 80-100 employee shop is rather puny.....even though there are now 100-150 of them, compared to 6-8 big employers, in our day.
80, max, in the 6 county Rochester metro.

20 years ago there were 350.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:14 AM

6,542 posts, read 3,217,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Where?
In the "old days", Eastman Kodak was a world class producer of optical components, both for their own products, and as a "contracted supplier" to other companies, as well as a supplier to the Federal Government. Although that manufacturing capacity has been drastically reduced, the former EK optics shop still exists, under different, private ownership (RPO, also known as Rochester Precision Optics). Along with that, there are several smaller, optics shops in the area, such as Optimax, JML Optics, Stefan-Sydor, and Accu-Coat, to name a few. (and these are NOT "eyeglass makers")

Old 02-25-2020, 01:48 PM

5,774 posts, read 4,155,173 times
Here's a bunch of manufacturing jobs

https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/...=MP&lang=en_US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area