Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 05:28 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,448,843 times

Advertisements

Dimbulb Duffy makes it sound like the economy in Rochester is all sunshine and roses:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...al/3089794002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 06:43 AM

384 posts, read 356,003 times
Your title is also extremely misleading, it's worst out of the biggest metros, which is much different than worst in the entire country.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:47 AM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times
We have never gotten good press no mater how our economy is doing. For example just look at the past few decades. All you ever heard was that "upstate" was a wasteland, when metro Rochester continued to slowly grow. It was mostly Buffalo that was struggling. Now that Buffalo has a flicker, because of the billions of taxpayer money, the press is all about "Buffalo is booming" yet they are on the same list with us. I blame the leadership who are content to manage, but not promote this area.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:13 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times
I think this article as well as other "rankings" are pretty misleading when it comes to jobs. Sure compared to Austin our job market may not be the greatest. But even then, how big of a gap is there really between say the 25th ranked city and the 53rd? Also, how does Rochester compared to cities in the 500k range? I'd like to see those numbers as I think it would be a much better comparison. Plus I think it would be best to list other factors like cost of living, etc. so paint and accurate picture of a cities job market as a whole.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:50 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Ha, I saw this article yesterday and predicted to myself which poster who doesn't live in Rochester and knows nothing about its economy would be the first to post it with glee.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:39 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Ha, I saw this article yesterday and predicted to myself which poster who doesn't live in Rochester and knows nothing about its economy would be the first to post it with glee.
Yup. Posted in the generic N.Y. thread as well. Weak.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:10 PM

214 posts, read 261,046 times
My guess is that the OP has a reasonable amount of knowledge about Rochester . He has posted on the Rochester 558 times . JMO .

Old 03-11-2019, 09:16 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
The OP named this thread "Rochester has the worst job market in the U.S. (again)". Not only has Rochester never had the worst job market in the US, but it currently isn't even close to being "the worst". And the article he linked too also was ranking the top 53 sized metros using a subjective measure of multiple statistics, of which Rochester is also the smallest metro on that list.

He just found a negative article, and used it to reinforce his own bias against Rochester. His false and misleading headline shows that the actual facts are not important to him.

These are the facts using the unemployment rate as an objective statistic that doesn't give an "opinion" about what is a hot or a bad economy. The unemployment rate is a standard statistic and is a universally used statistic by the labor dept.

As of Dec. 2018 Rochester's unemployment rate is 3.8%. That is tied for 36th with Portland and Seattle in the top 51 sized metros. So tell me, do you think Seattle and Portland have "the worst" economies in the US since they are tied with Rochester for the unemployment rate?

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laulrgma.htm

And in the 388 metros in the United States, Rochester is 210 out of 388. AGAIN tied with Seattle and Portland at 210.

So the real truth is that Rochester is middle of the pack. And our unemployment rate is tied with 2 cities that I've never heard anybody ever say has a horrible economy or makes the statement of having "the worst economy in the United States".

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Old 03-18-2019, 04:36 PM

558 posts, read 299,502 times
The WSJ ranking is the outcome of a multivariate analysis. It's much more robust than a one month unemployment statistic. The weighting might be subjective but the measurements are not. In that analysis, Rochester ranks 53 among the 53 largest metros.

The WSJ is the standard for business reporting and has been for the past 100 years or more. I think they have a pretty good idea what they are talking about.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:32 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
The WSJ ranking is the outcome of a multivariate analysis. It's much more robust than a one month unemployment statistic. The weighting might be subjective but the measurements are not. In that analysis, Rochester ranks 53 among the 53 largest metros.

The WSJ is the standard for business reporting and has been for the past 100 years or more. I think they have a pretty good idea what they are talking about.
x2

People here love to argue semantics, but at the end of the day a lot of us who left the region for greener pastures did it for career and economic reasons.

far as my posts in the Rochester sub-forum are concerned, the vast majority have been about Rochester's sick economy, and how the job situation has been bleak for roughly 30 years. I felt sick after reading just recently that Rochester's manufacturing employment dropped over 40% in 10 years, from 2000 to 2010. I should've gotten the heck out of there sooner, it's no wonder why people I worked around and for were so miserable, back in the early-to-mid 2000's.

Bob Duffy is an idiot when it comes to economics and how a business is run, plus he's had a cushy state pension and other perks over some years, now. I guess the Chamber there in town couldn't find anyone else for the job. Then again, they had another idiot, Sandy parker, in charge of it for decades, she did virtually nothing for the area, after her gig as a secretary at a local school. She married one of the worst businessmen, ethics-wise, in the Rochester area, in recent years.

That town is all about connections and "who you know".

Last edited by HowardRoarke; 03-18-2019 at 10:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area