Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2022, 12:43 PM

93,451 posts, read 124,120,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Thanks for once more making MY point.
You said they were dependent. My point is that many/most aren't and the income, as well as rental numbers illustrate that. So, it doesn't prove that point you made. I don't see how that would the case, given that these are working people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 03:31 PM

5,719 posts, read 4,106,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You said they were dependent. My point is that many/most aren't and the income, as well as rental numbers illustrate that. So, it doesn't prove that point you made. I don't see how that would the case, given that these are working people.
I KNOW THESE PEOPLE HAVE JOBS Did you hear that? I guess their jobs don't pay enough to pay the full rent. Someone else pays that!!!!!!!

My wish is for people to be able to live a life where they aren't depended on qualifying for certain programs, or anything like that. I want people to be able to live their lives free without having to ask permission. That will never happen until they start earning enough money to buy or rent what they want on their own.

Old 07-29-2022, 04:00 PM

6,466 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
........As for the success, I don't know about the concept being commonly used in Rochester, but the point of them is actually to get away from the concentrated poverty that occurs in parts of cities
This is a part of post #199, and it brings up something that I've wondered, for quite some time. Given all of the posting that you do, in these Rochester, NY discussions, do you actually live in Rochester, or one of the suburban towns that surround it?

Old 07-29-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I KNOW THESE PEOPLE HAVE JOBS Did you hear that? I guess their jobs don't pay enough to pay the full rent. Someone else pays that!!!!!!!

My wish is for people to be able to live a life where they aren't depended on qualifying for certain programs, or anything like that. I want people to be able to live their lives free without having to ask permission. That will never happen until they start earning enough money to buy or rent what they want on their own.
It is full rent though, but just based on a criteria with a reasonable budget, not in regards to “asking for permission”. Veterans are getting services, but even you conceded that many are underserved given their service and the elderly have generally already put their time in the workforce. This is why I broke down the 50-80% aspect.

This also doesn’t mean that they can not necessarily pay for market rate housing as I already gave the rental range for the residents, in which many would be above average. This means that many may make the choice to live there.

Also, would you rather those at the working class stage of their lives live in older housing with issues where they pay 40-50% of their income to rent or a place like this with some amenities and is newer? If anything, a place like this offers a better option for those just starting out or in that income level. Think of it more in terms of also being a better starting point versus thinking that they don’t have a choice or are forced to live there. You also have to meet people where they are at the current moment, as things may take time in terms of income growth/career advancement.

Perhaps, this also gets into private developers and if they think building residential units that are for people of various ranges are viable enough for them to build. That way, you can have strictly private developments that offer that option.

As for the other post, I’ve answered/mentioned this before in many posts in terms of having a sibling that has lived in the area for 30 years or so. Let alone that the city is only an hour and 15-20 minutes away. With that said, it doesn’t mean that a person can’t have a say or give information pertaining to a subject as long as it is respectful and reasonable/articulate. A lot of these Upstate areas are pretty similar in many regards as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-29-2022 at 04:42 PM..

Old 07-30-2022, 10:03 AM

6,466 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
..........As for the other post, I’ve answered/mentioned this before in many posts in terms of having a sibling that has lived in the area for 30 years or so. Let alone that the city is only an hour and 15-20 minutes away. With that said, it doesn’t mean that a person can’t have a say or give information pertaining to a subject as long as it is respectful and reasonable/articulate. A lot of these Upstate areas are pretty similar in many regards as well.
I hadn't seen any of the "many posts" that you refer to. However, thanks for confirming what I've assumed, for quite some time, that being that you don't actually live in the Rochester area. Yes, you're free to comment on Rochester, or any other area, for that matter. However, when you don't actually live in that area, and have to deal with it's quirks, it can easily slant your opinions

Old 07-30-2022, 11:15 AM

^The difference with this is that the rebuttal was based on factual information that doesn’t matter where one lives. As mentioned, the Upstate areas are quite similar in many ways. So, that topic is one that would apply to the other bigger Upstate areas as well and likely touches on something that needs to be addressed on a larger scale, not just Rochester. In fact, if you go back to the press conference, the mayor mentions that a group from Syracuse came to view the development and that likely has to do with Syracuse looking to do mixed income development.

Anyway, I actually came to post this, MCC’s downtown campus welcomes students to new Forward Center: https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/...orward-center/

Old 07-30-2022, 11:26 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,106,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I hadn't seen any of the "many posts" that you refer to. However, thanks for confirming what I've assumed, for quite some time, that being that you don't actually live in the Rochester area. Yes, you're free to comment on Rochester, or any other area, for that matter. However, when you don't actually live in that area, and have to deal with it's quirks, it can easily slant your opinions
chk has never hidden that he's from Syracuse. I would say yes, the cities are all similar in that they all have the same supermarkets, retail, and many other things, and many other surface identities, but to know all neighborhoods, you have to live there. Second hand info from someone else can be far off the mark, given many who weigh their opinions in certain ways, it's far to easy to get "fake news".

Old 07-30-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
chk has never hidden that he's from Syracuse. I would say yes, the cities are all similar in that they all have the same supermarkets, retail, and many other things, and many other surface identities, but to know all neighborhoods, you have to live there. Second hand info from someone else can be far off the mark, given many who weigh their opinions in certain ways, it's far to easy to get "fake news".
Some is from time spent there as well and keep in mind that their spouse is a Rochester native too(19th Ward and Gates). They currently live in Chili not too far from the airport in a pretty integrated, very middle/upper middle class area and dabble in real estate too. The sibling lived in the Park Ave neighborhood when they first got to the city(worked at the old Cellular One office I believe in Henrietta at the time). So, while not perfect, some of that comes into play and trust me, I know when to “back off”(notice a couple of Heart NY’s threads).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-30-2022 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-30-2022, 12:24 PM

224 posts, read 136,893 times
Quote:
I know when to “back off”(notice a couple of Heart NY’s threads).
Don't back off from my threads ckh. I need all the answers I can get, and I get all excited when I see someone has replied to my questions.

JW and ckh need some kind of show together. I'd tune in for sure. Radio, tv, public debates, whatever format you guys prefer. The back-and-forth between you two is seriously entertaining and thought provoking.

Old 07-30-2022, 06:46 PM

224 posts, read 136,893 times
Quote:
Anyway, I actually came to post this, MCC’s downtown campus welcomes students to new Forward Center: https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/...orward-center/
I want to go to MCC for the Optical Systems Technology certificate program. It really looks like an awesome community college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area