Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2024, 05:45 AM

6,665 posts, read 3,300,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It does say 76 units, but it doesn’t have a breakdown of the number of rooms.
If I did my math correctly, as it gets a little tricky, counting the zeros, when punching them into a calculator, that comes out to about $450,000 per unit. HUH???? For that kind of money, you could build 76, 2000 sq/ft, single family homes, on 1/2 acre lots, in the suburbs. Why does it cost THAT much to build what the proposal depicts as a big apartment complex???

Secondly, why does it continually become a necessity to PROVIDE "market rate housing" for people??? Why not spend the money to support industry, which will create jobs, so the people can EARN the money to provide housing for themselves, by themselves?

No government agency subsidized neither my grandparents' home, nor my parents' home. And the government certainly didn't subsidize my home purchase.....yet I'm expected, through taxes on my hard earned dollars, to provide housing for others!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 07:41 AM

94,560 posts, read 125,629,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
If I did my math correctly, as it gets a little tricky, counting the zeros, when punching them into a calculator, that comes out to about $450,000 per unit. HUH???? For that kind of money, you could build 76, 2000 sq/ft, single family homes, on 1/2 acre lots, in the suburbs. Why does it cost THAT much to build what the proposal depicts as a big apartment complex???

Secondly, why does it continually become a necessity to PROVIDE "market rate housing" for people??? Why not spend the money to support industry, which will create jobs, so the people can EARN the money to provide housing for themselves, by themselves?

No government agency subsidized neither my grandparents' home, nor my parents' home. And the government certainly didn't subsidize my home purchase.....yet I'm expected, through taxes on my hard earned dollars, to provide housing for others!
Some of the space is also for event space and much of the tax money is allocated Federal and State money for this purpose, which gets back to what I've said about the private sector not getting into this housing market. In turn, that is why this housing is set up the way it is.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some of the space is also for event space and much of the tax money is allocated Federal and State money for this purpose, which gets back to what I've said about the private sector not getting into this housing market. In turn, that is why this housing is set up the way it is.
Correct....it's set up "the way it is", because the private sector doesn't see it as a viable way to generate a profit, so they don't want to get involved. Therefore, taxpayers get stuck with the bill. As I previously stated, NOBODY helped me pay for my house, so why should I pay for someone else's??

Old 04-05-2024, 08:58 AM

5,800 posts, read 4,211,254 times
^ To answer the question, of why it costs so much money to build this, and all the other stuff---

"The project, with a total price tag between $34 and $36 million, is using $16.5 million in federal and state Low Incoming Housing Tax Credits, an $11.1 million subsidy from New York State Homes and Community Renewal, $2.6 million from the state’s Office of Temporary Disability and Assistance, $1.2 million from the Downtown Revitalization Initiative and another $200,000 in DRI funding.

Community Preservation Corp. is providing $1.3 million in permanent financing and the city of Rochester awarded $1 million through the HOME program. Aetna/CVS Health is the CREA tax credit investor."

Remove all of the taxPAYER funded subsidies, and TA DA! The cost to build comes into line.

That's right folks. TaxPAYER funded subsidies DON'T help lower the cost. They just ALLOW the costs to exculate.

The same thing happens in education, and pretty much every thing else that the government sticks their nose into.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Remove all of the taxPAYER funded subsidies, and TA DA! The cost to build comes into line.

That's right folks. TaxPAYER funded subsidies DON'T help lower the cost. They just ALLOW the costs to exculate.
Yup....

The "10%", if you catch my drift, has to get covered......................

Old 04-18-2024, 02:11 PM

fairlife breaks ground on $650M project in Webster: https://rbj.net/2024/04/18/fairlife-...ct-in-webster/

"fairlife officials held a groundbreaking in Webster Thursday for its $650 million facility, which is expected to create up to 250 jobs.

The Chicago-based dairy company’s expansion into the Northeast will allow for greater distribution of its products across the area and provide access to the state’s dairy co-operatives, company leaders said.

The 745,000-square-foot milk processing and manufacturing facility – located off Basket Road – is projected to take in 5 to 6 million pounds of raw whole milk daily from local dairy farmers and will produce roughly 5.5-million pounds of raw milk per day.

Tim Doelman, fairlife’s CEO, said sustainability is a focal point for the new facility, and it will feature improved efficiencies and better monitoring processes that will lessen its overall environmental footprint.

Founded in 2012, fairlife filters milk to remove lactose and much of the sugar while leaving behind more of the protein and calcium. The filtered product is used to produce ultra-filtered milk, protein shakes and meal replacement shakes. Coca-Cola bought fairlife in 2020.

In exchange for job creation and driving economic development as a result of the local project, fairlife received $63.4 million in tax incentives from the County of Monroe Industrial Development Agency (COMIDA) along with up to $21 million from Empire State Development through the Excelsior Jobs Tax Credit Program.

Additionally, the COMIDA board approved a sales tax exemption of $43.8 million and a custom PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) agreement worth nearly $19.6 million over 20 years."

Old 04-18-2024, 03:14 PM

Good to see more employment coming to the area, but it's too bad they didn't re-appropriate some of the unused portions of Xerox's campus, instead of tearing up "virgin" land.

Old 04-18-2024, 03:57 PM

5,800 posts, read 4,211,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Good to see more employment coming to the area, but it's too bad they didn't re-appropriate some of the unused portions of Xerox's campus, instead of tearing up "virgin" land.
The same with the STAMP thing in Gennesee county. It was established by the Finger Lakes Economic whatever. It should have been in that area. A brand new water plant, sewer plan nearby, and the Ginna nuclear plant nearby.

The STAMP thing was a purely political thing where Cuomo wanted to help Buffalo, to help Cuomo in his political aspirations.

Now, the STAMP place is stuck with nowhere to run it's sewage lines. State government continues to throw millions of dollars at it.

Old 04-18-2024, 07:22 PM

^This likely plays a part in STAMP's location: https://www.gcedc.com/stamp

Old 04-19-2024, 05:44 AM

The latest announcement regarding Rochester's road network is that there will be a lot more speed enforcement on Route 104, through the northern part of Irondequoit, as "reconstruction season" begins. Don't get me wrong, the construction workers need a safe environment to work in, no question. But the ballyhoo from Hochul, that there were 3 cars clocked at over 100MPH, in this zone, recently???

First of all, there's NO WAY anybody could be travelling that fast, between 7AM and 8-9PM on that road. There's just too much traffic going 60MPH. Secondly, if these cars were truly clocked at that speed, later in the night, were there construction workers actually on the job, at that hour??

I'm not saying that I condone 100MPH on the Route 104 expressway, but let's be realistic. Unless the workers are on the job, 24 hours a day, I don't see any reason why traffic has to be restricted to 35-40MPH, when no work is ongoing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area