Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:56 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,348 times

Advertisements

Yeah, gotta love this place. Can't even take a safe trip down to the f*cking beach anymore with my family thanks to the hundreds of thugs from the inner city, I can't go to a carnival in my home town, and now it's getting hard to even enjoy a day at Seabreeze!!! While our city government is worried about some BS performing arts center among other unwise projects, $hit like this keeps happening. Makes me completely sick to my stomach. What's really sad is the carnival was a charitable event, not just another for-profit attraction. Thank you city dwellers and Greece teens who want to be as cool and thuggish as city scum, you are really helping to ruin every community around you.

Link to the carnival at Greece Ridge being shut down because of violence
www.WHEC.com - Parents, kids upset as popular festival shuts down (http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1585920.shtml?cat=566 - broken link)

And finally, Seabreeze being shut down because of possible gang violence
www.WHEC.com - Seabreeze refuses to comment on Memorial Day closure (http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1584928.shtml?cat=566 - broken link)

Unfortunately I could not find a link for Charlotte, but Monday night there were apparently 2 gangs that were about to go at it, but I believe were scared off by the police. I was down there last Sunday, and I felt like I was in the middle of Conkey Ave. Just the loudest and least respectful people you could imagine. Charlotte Beach has become a dump, and you can tell the city has all but given up on it. It's so sad, back in the day it was such a beautiful place. It hurts to look at the pictures and wonder what kind of time my own family could have had if it wasn't ruined

Old 06-02-2010, 08:07 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,182 times
Seabreeze has always had this problem (although they haven't actually closed) every year on a specific day. In the past, they've resorted to beefing up security and using metal-detector wands on people before they enter the park.

See... this is why I'm an advocate for every legal adult owning at least one gun. Put a gun in all the inner city crowd's hands and sooner or later Darwin would work everything out for us.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:26 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,273 times
Although the crime rate is down. Teens can be idiots.

We had a kid, maybe 4 or 5 houses down, decided it would be fun to light up his tires whenever he left his house, at 1:30 am included. I had to go down there and have a discussion with them. The stupid thing is, they are not thugs, just dumb kids.

I had always wondered why my next door neighbor had such a nice looking porch. Well she was telling me that a number of years ago a couple of kids decided it would be fun to race down our city street. Well there was a car parked on the street, and one kid had no place to go. The kid went through a neighbors lawn two houses down, and then up her porch, knocked down the pillars and pulled the front part of the house out. And you wonder why insurance companies charge what they do?

I did a few stupid things myself, but wow. Don't get me started on the stereos.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:37 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
A couple of isolated incidents doesn't mean that all hell is breaking loose. The D&C just had an article yesterday or Monday showing that crime has dropped in the past decade. You can still go to these places without incident. The majority of the time these places are fine. Charlotte beach is fine and looks better cosmetically than it has in previous years.
To help with these isolated incidents, the RPD should take a more paramilitaristic approach to things. It did wonders for NYC.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:58 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,322,242 times
Those "gangs" your referring to are usually 14 year old skatboarding punks from the suburbs.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:30 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,348 times
^^^ LOL yeah ok! So basically you have never once opened your eyes while living here?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:09 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,446,336 times
Wow, the festival in Greece was shut down? I used to support the Kiwanis out there, and this is shocking, to say the least.

Different agencies and the organizers need to coordinate to prevent this from happening, although according to YNN is appears the Kiwanis won't be holding such an event ever again.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:17 PM

528 posts, read 1,184,619 times
those gangs are not just kids from the burbs, i know what the OP's talkin about. Charlotte beach isnt safe @ night anymore, nor is it safe with less than 4 ppl.

I didnt live in Roc long (went upstate to RIT for school, then left last year when i graduated), but I could see how the beach used to be much nicer. Now its crime ridden, run down, and the water is often too polluted to swim in!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 AM

233 posts, read 685,531 times
OverTaxed, I'm sorry that I even have to agree with you about crime. And since you're now a father, I am even more sympathetic especially since Rochester is supposed to be such a great place to raise a family.

I stopped watching the news because it's too depressing. If I hadn't read this article, I wouldn't have known Seabreeze was shut down. One of my friends got mugged walking on Monroe a few days ago. I'm not gonna jump to conclusions and say it was a gay bashing, but I will say to him, "I told you so". I always tell people to go straight to the car when in the city, but they don't listen. The recent shutdowns don't really surprise me at this point.

Crime may be down, but that's not indicative of a trend. It's nicer outside now. There have been robberies here on the east side lately. We have quite a way to go. I agree with garmin in that the cops here should be more ball-busting, because right now they do next to nothing.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:57 AM

2 posts, read 11,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Yeah, gotta love this place. Can't even take a safe trip down to the f*cking beach anymore with my family thanks to the hundreds of thugs from the inner city, I can't go to a carnival in my home town, and now it's getting hard to even enjoy a day at Seabreeze!!! While our city government is worried about some BS performing arts center among other unwise projects, $hit like this keeps happening. Makes me completely sick to my stomach. What's really sad is the carnival was a charitable event, not just another for-profit attraction. Thank you city dwellers and Greece teens who want to be as cool and thuggish as city scum, you are really helping to ruin every community around you.

Link to the carnival at Greece Ridge being shut down because of violence
www.WHEC.com - Parents, kids upset as popular festival shuts down (http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1585920.shtml?cat=566 - broken link)

And finally, Seabreeze being shut down because of possible gang violence
www.WHEC.com - Seabreeze refuses to comment on Memorial Day closure (http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1584928.shtml?cat=566 - broken link)

Unfortunately I could not find a link for Charlotte, but Monday night there were apparently 2 gangs that were about to go at it, but I believe were scared off by the police. I was down there last Sunday, and I felt like I was in the middle of Conkey Ave. Just the loudest and least respectful people you could imagine. Charlotte Beach has become a dump, and you can tell the city has all but given up on it. It's so sad, back in the day it was such a beautiful place. It hurts to look at the pictures and wonder what kind of time my own family could have had if it wasn't ruined
I have the perfect plan. People who live in NOT inner city Rochester, buy 3 houses. Look on Ave D and find three houses. This will cost you approximately 40k for three houses. Buy all three. Then rent out the other two and then YOU can decided who rents there. Or resell the house! TAKE BACK THE CITY!! WOOO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area