Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:01 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,004,395 times

Advertisements

Renaissance Square gets fed OK | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle

Its got the go ahead so far. What do you guys think about it, what would you like to see? Some pics are always nice too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 01:22 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,728,916 times
I like Bauman's idea of scrapping it and putting his plan into place.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:46 PM

I like his idea of more living space downtown. That would build the need for more shopping, and create more foot traffic. The theater is a destination, I'm not sure how I think it will do.

On a side note, the apartments next to Kodak look pretty nice. More upscale and taller apartments downtown could help with the foot traffic.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:39 PM

51 posts, read 171,839 times
The Fast Ferry is a huge waste of money.

Wait, what was the question?

Seriously, much like the FF, I don't think there's demand for what it offers. Certainly not enough to justify the price tag. MCC already has a DT campus, it was barely used when I went there (and there's lots of room to expand into all the empty office buildings if they do need the space). Do we really want another bus terminal right in the middle of DT? And who knows if the performing arts center will even make it into the final plans?

But it IS a politician's pet project...

Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 PM

I hear they are trying to get the fast ferry going privately.

The performing arts center will make downtown a destination, however Buffalo and Syracuse already have one. Now if the fast ferry, performing arts and a bunch of apartments got built at the same time......pipe dream...

You know how it works, no one wants to renovate when it can either be torn down, or moved into another free space. Everyone gets a kickback from construction too.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,606,922 times
I'm afraid rensquare will be like a Fast Ferry that we won't be able to eventually sell and have float away forever! 9

Old 02-20-2009, 07:41 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,409,966 times

Old 02-20-2009, 07:51 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,879,969 times
We do not need Ren Square.... what will happen to Geva? Aud Theater? Downstair Cabaret? And who wants that bus stations there? I think it will flop. It is a total waste of money. It is another brilliant Fast Ferry.... It will be a bust.... and put us in the hole even further... I don't think it is a good idea... I am very worried we will be doing more damage here....

Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 AM

21 posts, read 66,201 times
I think the block needs redoing, the idea of open space instead of a theatre is much better.
If your going to encourage more residence in down town there must be more open space, can you picture nyc without central park. Forget the theatre use that money to revitalize the east side with the aqueduct.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,879,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain dusty View Post
I think the block needs redoing, the idea of open space instead of a theatre is much better.
If your going to encourage more residence in down town there must be more open space, can you picture nyc without central park. Forget the theatre use that money to revitalize the east side with the aqueduct.
open space is a great idea.... but I would be a bit worried about crime. Not to be negative... but I am a realist. There would most def need to be extra security in that park....esp at night. I think we had a discussion on here not long ago about turning the Inner Loop into a park of greenspace... and this was also an issue....Safety is Rochester is a HUGE problem... unless you are standing on the right street....I wouldn't be drawn to a PARK in the middle of The Roc... sorry.... I am not taking my kids downtown to a park... Not like Central Park... We need to reinvent DOWNTOWN for sure... but not sure these are exactly the routes we should go.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area