Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:14 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Even within the city of Rochester there are some good neighborhoods like pretty much the whole Southeastern quarter of the city, Charlotte, much of the 19th Ward, Lyceum-Northland and much of the Eastside.

I also think that when you can find a decent to nice home for 150k, if not less pretty much in any school district/town you want, I think that is a good thing and even with taxes, you still can come out better in terms of affordability. This is including some of the best public school districts in the country. So, sometimes it's a matter of perspective too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 02:01 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Yes, god forbid you actually try to debate when somebody challenges you. Just scoff and repeat your rhetoric.
I've tried, but everything I see is a generalization or opinion (despite witnessing things first hand). So, it's not worth debating. You see things one way, I see them the other. Plain and simple.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I've tried, but everything I see is a generalization or opinion (despite witnessing things first hand). So, it's not worth debating. You see things one way, I see them the other. Plain and simple.
You don't try. You back up a generalization with another generalization. You occasionally have an anecdote, but that does not prove much since I can provide another anecdote that proves the exact opposite. Not to mention that isolated incidents and limited experiences do not represent the norm.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM

233 posts, read 685,728 times
Isolated incidents and limited experiences don't represent the norm? Did you see the crime statistics for 2010? Our first murder was not even five hours into the new year. Crime is UP from 2009, even with our slow and steady "growth".

And hey, if that's not enough for you, why do you so vehemently defend this city? Does someone's negative claims of Rochester offend you so much that you must find anything at all to make this city seem appealing? Are you trying to convince others of its good so they'll move here and increase your property values? If this city was so great, people would have been coming here in droves by now - with or without a cheerleader to sell them on the idea.

So for every anecdote you share to prove the opposite of OTNY's claims, I'll raise you two more.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
Isolated incidents and limited experiences don't represent the norm? Did you see the crime statistics for 2010? Our first murder was not even five hours into the new year. Crime is UP from 2009, even with our slow and steady "growth".

And hey, if that's not enough for you, why do you so vehemently defend this city? Does someone's negative claims of Rochester offend you so much that you must find anything at all to make this city seem appealing? Are you trying to convince others of its good so they'll move here and increase your property values? If this city was so great, people would have been coming here in droves by now - with or without a cheerleader to sell them on the idea.

So for every anecdote you share to prove the opposite of OTNY's claims, I'll raise you two more.
I said last year that crime would be up in 10. 09 was a freak year. Crime was abnormally low. If you look at the long term trend, crime is down. Despite a one year increase, violent crime is the second lowest it's been in five years.
A negative claim does not offend me. A false claim does. Outright racism does. Sweeping generalizations offend me and insult my intelligence. Something that OTNY constantly does.
If somebody says "I don't like winters so I moved away"... "I couldn't find a job in my field"... no big deal. When somebody says "The ENTIRE city is crime ridden, a hellhole, you are in danger living there, etc", then I have a problem. Because that is simply not true.
I have stated this line of thinking several times over. Some of you should pay attention.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 AM

If false claims, racism, and generalizations offend you, you're in for a life of disappointment. There's plenty of that going on outside of the Rochester forum (and the internet). You're not changing anyone's minds here. There's what? a dozen posters in this forum? Your efforts are wasted here, but go on and pretend you're making a difference.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:16 AM

I don't remember saying I was trying to make a difference in the world.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 AM

Neither do I. I said go on and pretend you're making a difference. And does one have to say something for it to be so? Did Shawcross have to call himself a killer to make it so? No. Our actions give us away.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 AM

205 posts, read 456,531 times
Hi guys.... Seems like some heated debate here. I read all 14 pages of this thread and saw some really good input. It's clear that "some people like Rochester" and "some people don't like Rochester". But as I think about it, that's been the case with pretty much every place I've ever lived. Also, I've found in life that the unhappy people seem to be slightly noisier than the happy people. Being content doesn't really motivate you to jump on a forum and vent now does it ;-)

So anyway - I think I do have something constructive to bring to the conversation. Like the originator of this thread, I was that dude in 2009 trying to decide if I would move to Rochester or not. I posted pretty much the same questions (I'm sure you can find them if you look). Again, I'm sure people will take issue and/or disagree with my opinions, and that's just fine with me... But I offer my experiences in the hopes that they help you in your decision making process.

Here are the highlights of what I've seen since moving here in 2009, both good and bad:

Good:

* We've made TONS of friends. I have been amazed at how strong our social ties have grown in such a short time. Others have pointed out that people are unfriendly in Rochester, and perhaps that has been true for them. Perhaps it is a demographic or neighborhood by neighborhood thing. But living in Park Ave, my wife and I were invited to BBQs, over to tea and to dinner all in an effort to "get to know you." All very positive.
* The houses on Park Ave / East Ave are simply amazing. The historical nature and cost is outstanding.
* Our kids love the museums and find plenty to do.
* There is good dining here.
* The music scene is awesome. There are free concerts every week in the summer.

Bad:

* Downtown is a mess and very unpleasant.
* The taxes are high. Although they are off-set (no not equalized) by the lower housing prices. Seriously, I read the analysis done earlier. But we did our own Excel spreadsheets and with the money we saved on buying the house in safe investments, the income from those investments is paying for most of the taxes... I'm sure this varies wildly based on the cost and what other places you considered living.
* The public transportation is not great. Hoping they fix it.
* Crime is a concern. But we've had no issues. I can't decide if this is a media-generated 'scare tactic' or really an everyday-person's issue. So I put it in the BAD column because I don't like thinking about it - but nothing bad has happened to me or my family.

So there you have it. I like to think that is a balanced view - though it never really is. You see the world through you eyes whether you like it or not. So I at least hope it helps you out. Bottom line: We love it here. Rochester is great for us!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
I have never, ever seen anyone on this forum say only positive things about Rochester, claim that everything about it is great, that there are no problems, or that they can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to live here.

I have seen more times than I can count on this forum people say only negative things about Rochester, claim that everything about it is terrible, that there are more problems here than most other places, and that they can't understand why anyone would want to live here.

You tell me, which one sounds more like an "agenda". There is far more of a troll problem than a cheerleader problem on this forum. None of the posters happy living here say ONLY positive things, but many of the posters unhappy about living here or who have left yet still feel the need to drop a line about how much better they have it now in their now location do say ONLY negative things.

So yeah, it's the "cheerleaders" who are soooo off base
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area