Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 01:00 PM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Here's a map of the school districts in Monroe County: http://www.monroecounty.gov/Image/Sc...cts%202008.pdf

I noticed that there were some other school districts mainly inother counties that have some boundaries within Monroe County. I was wondering what school districts they were? I was thinking that parts of the Holley, Caledonia-Mumford, Byron-Bergen, LeRoy, Avon, Victor, Gananda(Walworth) and maybe Wayne(Ontario) and Palmyra-Macedon school districts were in Monroe County as well. I know some of the districts within Monroe County go into Wayne, Orleans, Genesee, Livingston and Ontario Counties too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 01:42 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
If you go to Google Earth...one of the features you can use shows the boundaries of school districts. It looks like its Kendall Schools from Orleans county that go into western Monroe County, not Holley. Byron-Bergen schools go into SW monroe a tiny bit, Cal/Mum schools district boundary straddles Monroe and Livingston Counties..with the largest section in Livingston but more populated section in Monroe; dito for Honeyoe Falls-Lima school district, which is HUGE. Teeny tiny parts of Webster and Penfield are in Wayne Central schools; and ditto for extreme southern parts of Perinton being in parts of Victor schools.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:14 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
If you go to Google Earth...one of the features you can use shows the boundaries of school districts. It looks like its Kendall Schools from Orleans county that go into western Monroe County, not Holley. Byron-Bergen schools go into SW monroe a tiny bit, Cal/Mum schools district boundary straddles Monroe and Livingston Counties..with the largest section in Livingston but more populated section in Monroe; dito for Honeyoe Falls-Lima school district, which is HUGE. Teeny tiny parts of Webster and Penfield are in Wayne Central schools; and ditto for extreme southern parts of Perinton being in parts of Victor schools.
I think the small tan area in Clarkson is a part of the Holley SD. A map of that district: Holley Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Only responding to this due to it still getting viewed and someone posted to similar thread in another part of the C-D forums. Was also looking for a similar map as well.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:25 PM

61 posts, read 50,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here's a map of the school districts in Monroe County: http://www.monroecounty.gov/Image/Sc...cts%202008.pdf

I noticed that there were some other school districts mainly inother counties that have some boundaries within Monroe County. I was wondering what school districts they were? I was thinking that parts of the Holley, Caledonia-Mumford, Byron-Bergen, LeRoy, Avon, Victor, Gananda(Walworth) and maybe Wayne(Ontario) and Palmyra-Macedon school districts were in Monroe County as well. I know some of the districts within Monroe County go into Wayne, Orleans, Genesee, Livingston and Ontario Counties too.
Wilkinson Road in the southeast portion of Monroe County is in Victor School District my cousin used to live there. I don't believe any of Pal-Mac goes into Monroe County. Also, none of Gananda goes into Monroe County, because the west side of West Walworth Road (where it exists in Wayne County) is Penfield School District (a friend of mine lives there and says that she pays Penfield taxes but is in Macedon). There are however portions of Wayne (Walworth-Ontario Center) School District that cross into the town of Webster via Ridge Road in an area known as "Union Hill".

The west side of Monroe County I'm not sure about which is ironic since that's the side I live on. The south side Caledonia-Mumford a portion serves Monroe County because someone I know who lives near Scottsville almost bought a home in Caledonia-Mumford school district that was still Monroe County. Honeoye Falls-Lima also serves Monroe County since the village of Honeoye Falls is technically in Monroe County rather than Livingston.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:53 PM

186 posts, read 135,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A14626mom View Post
Wilkinson Road in the southeast portion of Monroe County is in Victor School District my cousin used to live there. I don't believe any of Pal-Mac goes into Monroe County. Also, none of Gananda goes into Monroe County, because the west side of West Walworth Road (where it exists in Wayne County) is Penfield School District (a friend of mine lives there and says that she pays Penfield taxes but is in Macedon). There are however portions of Wayne (Walworth-Ontario Center) School District that cross into the town of Webster via Ridge Road in an area known as "Union Hill".

The west side of Monroe County I'm not sure about which is ironic since that's the side I live on. The south side Caledonia-Mumford a portion serves Monroe County because someone I know who lives near Scottsville almost bought a home in Caledonia-Mumford school district that was still Monroe County. Honeoye Falls-Lima also serves Monroe County since the village of Honeoye Falls is technically in Monroe County rather than Livingston.
I'm in Fairport School District and I know for a fact that Pal-Mac cuts off at the County-Line for Monroe but serves a lot of Farmington and parts northeast of there to make up for what Victor and Red Jacket do not. But we're not talking about Ontario County or Wayne County here.

Good points about HFL. Honeoye Falls-Lima includes part of the town of Mendon, meaning not everyone in Mendon would go to what I've known as Pittsford-Mendon (now known as "Pittsford School District" since there is another high school to serve the growing population of Pittsford-Mendon area).

You're right on the money with Wayne School District; there is an actual area in both Wayne and Monroe Counties (with a post office on Ridge Road) called "Union Hill" that is considered the northeastern part of the 585 area code. There's quite a few businesses which can be accessed by Ridge Road and 104 Eastbound on the Wayne County side, on the Monroe County side you have to go around the block but there's a nice Electric place on the corner of Monroe County Line Road and 104.

Penfield is a bit tricky and confusing for me and for others I'm sure.
People living in the Wayne County portion of Penfield School District are considered "Macedon" and although they have 585 phone numbers (unlike their eastern neighbors) most of them live in Walworth.
Why can't they just be Penfield, NY since they are in Penfield schools? Is it easy for the USPS to refer to people in Penfield school district in Wayne County as "Macedon" to confuse people with the actual Macedon adjacent to it? It sure confuses me.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:29 PM

61 posts, read 50,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4evR View Post
I'm in Fairport School District and I know for a fact that Pal-Mac cuts off at the County-Line for Monroe but serves a lot of Farmington and parts northeast of there to make up for what Victor and Red Jacket do not. But we're not talking about Ontario County or Wayne County here.

Good points about HFL. Honeoye Falls-Lima includes part of the town of Mendon, meaning not everyone in Mendon would go to what I've known as Pittsford-Mendon (now known as "Pittsford School District" since there is another high school to serve the growing population of Pittsford-Mendon area).

You're right on the money with Wayne School District; there is an actual area in both Wayne and Monroe Counties (with a post office on Ridge Road) called "Union Hill" that is considered the northeastern part of the 585 area code. There's quite a few businesses which can be accessed by Ridge Road and 104 Eastbound on the Wayne County side, on the Monroe County side you have to go around the block but there's a nice Electric place on the corner of Monroe County Line Road and 104.

Penfield is a bit tricky and confusing for me and for others I'm sure.
People living in the Wayne County portion of Penfield School District are considered "Macedon" and although they have 585 phone numbers (unlike their eastern neighbors) most of them live in Walworth.
Why can't they just be Penfield, NY since they are in Penfield schools? Is it easy for the USPS to refer to people in Penfield school district in Wayne County as "Macedon" to confuse people with the actual Macedon adjacent to it? It sure confuses me.
Well back in the day there was no such thing as 585 area code. We actually had to share phone numbers with our neighbors.

Where I live is in Greece. But it says ROCHESTER, NY 14626 back in the day the FCC had a system that determined how people communicated to each other's neighborhoods and it wasn't by an Area code, it was by a phone code (but some area codes have been assigned from a common first 3 numbers).

See decades ago you had a common community (ex. Rochester) you had a post office number (mine is 14626) and you actually had to look up what their first 6 numbers was. I forget what mine was but the first 3 was 716 so I'm going to say 14626 stood for 716-555 . If people knew my phone number, it was basically giving away what neighborhood I lived in because I would've had to share that number with multiple households (not everyone had their own phone number). If you knew someone lived near Rochester on such-and-such street you would dial 0 (which stood for Operator) and you would actually ask them what the final 4 digits were for person you were trying to find. Later on, the USPS started including this 4 digit code on your mail.

Obviously, this system was challenging because no one liked sharing a phone number with a dozen other people, or waiting impatiently so One thing led to another and people started getting their own numbers and soon communities got a phone book to keep track of everybody's numbers. But eventually you had to assign an Area Code to a specific area and in the 90s Governor Pataki signed Legislation that established the boundaries of the area codes in our state.

Fact is: dialing 0 for operator and having a neighborhood shared phone number was way before Gov. Pataki, so not something you would know if you didn't grow up with it like I did.

I'm in Greece but when I file taxes I have to remind myself I have a Rochester address, and it gets so confusing that my physical is Greece or mailing is Greece and the other is Rochester?

To answer your question, I assume people in the Penfield School District had both 716 and 315 numbers based on their address but the Pataki Administration placed them in the 585 area code to simplify things for the Penfield School District.
Addresses these days only keep an assignment of what post office delivers the mail based on what phone number you may've had in common, had a very outdated system been kept in place.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:03 AM

186 posts, read 135,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A14626mom View Post
Well back in the day there was no such thing as 585 area code. We actually had to share phone numbers with our neighbors.

Where I live is in Greece. But it says ROCHESTER, NY 14626 back in the day the FCC had a system that determined how people communicated to each other's neighborhoods and it wasn't by an Area code, it was by a phone code (but some area codes have been assigned from a common first 3 numbers).

See decades ago you had a common community (ex. Rochester) you had a post office number (mine is 14626) and you actually had to look up what their first 6 numbers was. I forget what mine was but the first 3 was 716 so I'm going to say 14626 stood for 716-555 . If people knew my phone number, it was basically giving away what neighborhood I lived in because I would've had to share that number with multiple households (not everyone had their own phone number). If you knew someone lived near Rochester on such-and-such street you would dial 0 (which stood for Operator) and you would actually ask them what the final 4 digits were for person you were trying to find. Later on, the USPS started including this 4 digit code on your mail.

Obviously, this system was challenging because no one liked sharing a phone number with a dozen other people, or waiting impatiently so One thing led to another and people started getting their own numbers and soon communities got a phone book to keep track of everybody's numbers. But eventually you had to assign an Area Code to a specific area and in the 90s Governor Pataki signed Legislation that established the boundaries of the area codes in our state.

Fact is: dialing 0 for operator and having a neighborhood shared phone number was way before Gov. Pataki, so not something you would know if you didn't grow up with it like I did.

I'm in Greece but when I file taxes I have to remind myself I have a Rochester address, and it gets so confusing that my physical is Greece or mailing is Greece and the other is Rochester?

To answer your question, I assume people in the Penfield School District had both 716 and 315 numbers based on their address but the Pataki Administration placed them in the 585 area code to simplify things for the Penfield School District.
Addresses these days only keep an assignment of what post office delivers the mail based on what phone number you may've had in common, had a very outdated system been kept in place.
Interestingly, I was watching an episode of Seinfeld recently when people were talking about having about redistricted into a different area code and it was a hassle to dial into the other area code. And this show takes place in New York City! No mention of the old system though but I do remember my mother telling me when I was younger I was lucky to have a cell phone because she had what she called "neighborhood phone booths" that she had to go to in order to make a call, whatever that means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area