Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 8,130 times

Advertisements

We're looking at downsizing in a few years. Moving from a four bedroom colonial to a two bedroom patio home.
The plan is to stay here, but close things up for 2-3 months in the winter. Get out after Christmas and come back before Easter. Due to the economy and health issues, our dream of owning in both places will stay just that. We will be renting down South.

We are interested in places South of NC. We love Hilton head, it's our first choice. We've vacationed there for many years every Spring, but not sure if it will be affordable when the time comes.

Looking for other, more affordable places to rent.
Being within thirty minutes of the beach would be nice, but not a deal breaker. I love theme parks, especially Disney. Husband wants the golf courses. We both want reasonable rent and a safe area.

So hoping there's some snowbirds or transplants on here who can tell me why they love where they live!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 12:26 PM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokay View Post
We're looking at downsizing in a few years. Moving from a four bedroom colonial to a two bedroom patio home.
The plan is to stay here, but close things up for 2-3 months in the winter. Get out after Christmas and come back before Easter. Due to the economy and health issues, our dream of owning in both places will stay just that. We will be renting down South.

We are interested in places South of NC. We love Hilton head, it's our first choice. We've vacationed there for many years every Spring, but not sure if it will be affordable when the time comes.

Looking for other, more affordable places to rent.
Being within thirty minutes of the beach would be nice, but not a deal breaker. I love theme parks, especially Disney. Husband wants the golf courses. We both want reasonable rent and a safe area.

So hoping there's some snowbirds or transplants on here who can tell me why they love where they live!
Thanks!
I would say that the Myrtle Beach area of SC would be perfect.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:40 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I would say that the Myrtle Beach area of SC would be perfect.
+1 Been there a couple of times. Very nice.

Disney might not be a bad place to start either. My grandparents used to stay in Treasure Island, FL. I was there once myself, I don't think it is as expensive as most of the other resorts, would be worth checking into.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:38 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
If you can afford to buy down south, condos in the Hilton Head area are VERY inexpensive now due to the recession.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:26 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Aiken, SC, or the Upstate SC area.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
North Carolina is a nice place, too. Lots and lots of really nice people.

It brings you closer to Disney than where you are now, and your husband can find places to golf around here as well.

Why not try posting to NC, SC, and FL boards and ask if there are any snowbirds who have already made the decision and if they were happy with it?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:09 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
If you are going to NC, look into the outer banks. It takes awhile to get out there, but it is a very nice area. Little bit of touristy stuff, on the continental side the water is bath warm too. I have been there a couple of times. It seems like it is becoming a big destination, but both times I was there, it was never crowded.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
If I had to guess, I'd say the OP is probably looking for someplace warmer than NC is during the winter (hence the "south of NC" part of her post). Winter in most of NC is probably colder and drearier than the OP is looking for. Not a whole lot of great golfing weather in Jan-March (the timeframe the OP would be spending down south) as the temps are usually only in the mid-upper 40's for highs and 20s for lows that time of the year in most of NC (obviously much colder in the mountains in the west of the state and a little warmer on the coast in the east). Sounds like you'd want the southern half of SC (around hilton head as mentioned) our further south. Maybe Jacksonville FL?? Florida in general is pretty expensive but I believe Jacksonville is relatively affordable for Florida. And the weather would definitely be more what you are looking for than what you'd find in most of the Carolinas

Old 09-30-2012, 06:44 AM

6 posts, read 8,130 times
Wow, three years later and no replies from Rochester Snowbirds. lol

Yes, I want more South than NC. I'd like the average winter temperature to be at least 60-65 if possible.
So, Southern SC, GA, FL, AL and MISS are all contenders. Maybe we'll go to a different place every year until we find one we love.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 PM

55 posts, read 132,497 times
Why not Southern California or Arizona? Because you want a shorter drive to get there? My snowbird goal is actually Rochester/New Zealand, endless summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area