Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 09:36 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnBen View Post
We are looking for a house in rural Virginia and found one that is on a small farm (4.5 acres). They have a few cows and maybe some goats, no crops that I could see. The problem is that neither me nor my wife knows the first thing about farming and at least I have little interest in learning. Yet we love the property and are trying to figure out what we could do with the land otherwise. A lot of it is now grass, so without something to graze we would have an awful lot of mowing to do. Any ideas? Is it possible (practical) to have people "board" their livestock on your land? My best idea so far is to build a baseball stadium and see if they come :-)
You want the pastoral look, without the pastoral labor. No can do. Zoning laws probably prohibit you from establishing and managing a small high-value hardwood plantation, which is also a lot of work, trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 10:28 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Fruit trees, berry bushes. A vegetable garden for yourself or a bit larger perhaps. Forget livestock other than maybe bees, rabbits, or chickens. Buying feed gets expensive, and there's no money at a small scale in cheap commodities like soybeans.
good advice !

Old 03-16-2017, 02:56 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
I'm astonished at the number of people who recommend a riding mower. All you will do with equipment that small is tear it up.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'm astonished at the number of people who recommend a riding mower. All you will do with equipment that small is tear it up.
As I stated, my neighbor bought 5 acres from me and built a house breezeway and double garage.
Everything else is mowed lawn.

It is rolling terrain and each time he mows he mows at a different angle.

It looks great ! All done with a riding lawn tractor mower.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:46 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
I don't know if anyone has addressed this in the comments above, but what is your water situation like? Do you have access to good-quality, cheap water? By good quality, I mean water that isn't saline or sodic. If you do, you can rent your land to vegetable farmers for a share of the crop and/or cash rent. If you don't, then your options are limited to grain crops, hay, or certain vegetable crops adapted to dryland farming, such as potatoes, onions, squash and corn. You're not going to make any money with grain crops or hay though.

An acre of land devoted to thirsty vegetables will consume 27,000 gallons of water per week during dry periods.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:57 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Just curious, if 4.5 acres is really big yard, what is the minimum acreage to be considered a farm? I understand it depends on what you are planting. What would be the min acreage for let's say corn to make reasonable money?

Old 03-17-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I don't know if anyone has addressed this in the comments above, but what is your water situation like? Do you have access to good-quality, cheap water? By good quality, I mean water that isn't saline or sodic. If you do, you can rent your land to vegetable farmers for a share of the crop and/or cash rent. If you don't, then your options are limited to grain crops, hay, or certain vegetable crops adapted to dryland farming, such as potatoes, onions, squash and corn. You're not going to make any money with grain crops or hay though.

An acre of land devoted to thirsty vegetables will consume 27,000 gallons of water per week during dry periods.

(last paragraph).........I really doubted that, but did an internet search and found out that 1 inch of rainfall over 1 acre = 27,000 + gallons.

I learn something new every day !

Old 03-17-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Just curious, if 4.5 acres is really big yard, what is the minimum acreage to be considered a farm? I understand it depends on what you are planting. What would be the min acreage for let's say corn to make reasonable money?
....."minimum acreage for a farm ".....

Where my farm was located ( central MN ) you had to have at least 10 acres to even get your place an agriculture classification for property tax purposes.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:55 PM

400 posts, read 573,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Define reasonable. I know many people this year that are going to be happy if they just break even. The last decade has been pretty crazy, but maybe over the long term you could assume making $30-50 an acre? Maybe.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:33 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,064 times
Think twice before you board horses...you will completely give up your privacy with owners coming and going. Also you will need extra insurance.

I agree with others, buy a riding mower...pay a kid $10/hr to be the mower jockey. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living