Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:30 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
Well its my 10th year in a small rural town and one thing that strikes one the most about rural people is their utter naivety about the real world,
At least this small town person knows that the word is naiveté.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 11:28 AM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
And this small town resident knows not to feed trolls.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:34 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Aesop wrote about this many centuries ago: See "The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse".

Says it all...

Old 04-19-2018, 02:22 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
At least this small town person knows that the word is naiveté.

I love posters who rant from a self-determined position of wisdom then fall flat on their face as they step off their soapbox. Its been a while since I've read so many stereotypes in one place.

OP, use your superior brain and find a way to move back to the city. Take that large handbag of shoulder chips with you. I doubt the rubes will notice.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:13 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,821,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskansas View Post
Just had door kicked in on one small town property I bought. Had everything stolen when just 4-5 things were in it but didn't put up curtains yet. Wouldn't think the thieves would look in the laundry room window in back either but yes. Then realized both door frames were new and no trim on either door so town probably has some thieves...Population 1500.

Other small town community I purchased in had 3 contractors and all were crooks. He even mentions later he has been to court 4+ times as defendant and court lets him win...Some left town after he screwed them. Explains why I've seen job ads for contractor to travel to small town for 4 weeks to finish up renovating houses. Cannot get a sober or trustworthy local contractor. Can't even get a furnace guy to answer in some small towns even if you call an hour away, no one returns phone calls for days. GAWD, remember you have to be self reliant and have backup heat or sure friends with mentally stable, sober furnace guy who doesn't pick fights. Don't buy anything rural and fixer upper unless you can do the work yourself or you have family/friend you can trap into helping. Another population 1500..

REALLY cannot leave a bunch of stuff in small town houses unless you get to know the neighbors. Was told as city kid if you move to country, needed to remain in the house at least 6 months before you are gone for more than full day at work. Small town people will steal everything that is even hooked down unless neighbors like you enough to call sheriff on them.

Town of 10k is so nuts in some spots, can do kidnappings of unwelcome to harass them or hit someone over head during the night trespassing and these don't get in trouble with cops. Little *hits are running around like looney tooneys...Sheriff is so filthy in spots, lots gets covered up...

Gawd, don't even want to mention some of the employment scams I've seen in some small towns. So much BS at some employers, they just bring in new people to get look at new women and screw them out of job within a few months. Others are shuffled through the town's jobs against employee's will if you are broke and probably end up getting charity tank of gas back to your family out of state when you wind up homeless if you won't latch onto the local male (read POS) who offers to "help".

City is easier to people. Left in your employment too in city most of time. Don't get angry over weird stuff or threats...Be cool in city and is just easier than dealing with the new country sticks any more. Looked at multiple country houses someone just walked out in middle of remodel or painting, dropped paint brush. Told by neighbors they went back to where they came from after whatever...Also get to see LOTS of country or small town FOR SALE ads with kitchen door barred shut and braced.
I read this twice, which was way more time than I should have invested and still don't understand over half of what was typed.

As for the OP, lots of silly generalizations and made up theories on your part. I don't even think it's worth picking apart to be honest.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:54 PM

371 posts, read 288,202 times
The OP sounds very uneducated

Old 04-19-2018, 07:21 PM

3,062 posts, read 2,040,914 times
In a small town they know who the crooks are because they've grown up with them and their parents grew up with their crook parents haha. My parents moved from their small town to another state and much larger city and I moved back to that small town after college. Way different than the city I grew up in.

Two stories about small town cheaters: a small grocery owned by one guy ALWAYs had a broom propped up next to the checkout counter. The locals knew the scam but the newbies or visitors didn't know that he would ring up that broom on every person's bill unless they checked their receipt and then he's say "That isn't YOUR broom? Sorry, I thought it was." and refund it. He sold that broom many, many times and it never left the store.

Different guy owned a filling station on the main highway, town size like Mayberry. This was back in the day that they pumped your gas for you and you paid cash. Yep, unless you checked the pump your gas was always shorted, sometimes several gallons but you paid full price. Now this was in a time that gas was under 20 cents a gallon. Again locals knew and kept their eye on the pump and kept him "honest", out of towners? screwed.

I lived 24 years in that small town and learned to NEVER talk in the movie theatre while waiting for the show to start about anything except the weather. If I said anything interesting about anybody in town it would make it back to them before the movie was over.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:43 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Ex neighbours of ours (from NYC)used to do the whole city sopshicate routine with us, but they really didn't seem much different to other folk -maybe just had a few more restaurant and show stories to tell.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:24 AM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
Gee, the last time I heard that broom story, it was a mop in a city hardware store. If you're going to repeat "urban" legends, at least get the details right. And gas hasn't been under 20 cents/gallon since 1941. Were you even old enough to drive then? You'd be 93 now. Or were you just parroting some other legend?

https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles...rice-1929-2015

Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think hifijohn and misskansas might have a lot in common!
Well at least misskansas knows about paragraphs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living