Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:40 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,581,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Gee, the last time I heard that broom story, it was a mop in a city hardware store. If you're going to repeat "urban" legends, at least get the details right. And gas hasn't been under 20 cents/gallon since 1941. Were you even old enough to drive then? You'd be 93 now. Or were you just parroting some other legend?

https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles...rice-1929-2015

Umm, I distinctly remember fuel being 19 cents a gallon in the early 60's in S. California. Gas wars were common then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Well, I paid 16 to18 cents a gallon on several occasions in 1968. Just saying,,,,
Yep, glad I'm not the only one .

Old 04-23-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
No satellite available? I have no options where I am other than satellite. No cable, no dsl or other. There is a fellow that had a blog.. still is on Facebook I believe.. Duane Ose. He lives in Alaska, 205 miles from the nearest road. The last homesteader in Alaska. He is a fur trapper, married a mail order bride close to 50 yrs ago. Lived in a dugout for 9 yrs while he hand built a log home. He has internet. Satellite dish and he provides his own electricity. Where in this country can one not get satellite service? I know that some places .. particular homes, trees can block the signal but trees can come down. I'm in a Nat'l Forest and have a 20' clearing around the house... the dish is on my roof.

If the library is getting internet... why can't they?
Thanks for the neat stories. I enjoy hearing them. That goes for the rest of you too. I had to look up Duane Ose to learn more. What a cute couple, and I love their sense of humor. Tough as an old boot, both of em. Sorry if these have been posted already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uurXp8aOps

https://www.facebook.com/osemountainalaska/

-------------------------------------

Old 04-23-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Be that as it may, the OP has posted a series of threads lamenting rural living. I don't recall the OP stating a reason he could not relocate. If one is that miserable it would behoove them to do something about it. It really isn't a Ray Bradbury short story.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:35 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,713,093 times
There's actually a thread of truth in this rant. Kids graduate from high school and go to college. When they graduate, there are no jobs in their old small town, so they gravitate to cities where there is the opportunity to build a life. About 28% of adults in my state have a baccalaureate degree, but in my county it's only 9%. Some of the high school graduates make a good living in building trades, as loggers and such, but many are stuck in dead end minimum wage jobs. Many of them are drunks and druggies, but you find those wherever you go. Anyone with intelligence and initiative can do very well indeed. I rub elbows with multi-millionaires every day. They may be wearing bib overalls and muddy boots, but they know what they are doing.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:41 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,713,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Sorry, but not "every square inch of the USA has ...internet". Our county government is currently trying to partner with a private enterprise to provide internet services to people who don't have it in our rural county. Many of these residents use the local private library to gain internet access, otherwise they wouldn't have access at all. It seems ridiculous for a county with one of the largest and oldest Naval R&D bases in the country not to have this access available to all citizens, but it's also the reality for many.
Satellite internet is not that expensive. The only information utility I can't get at my house is cell phone service, and I'm getting ready to install a signal amplifier in hopes of getting that to work. It's true, however, that you have to be able to see the sky to get satellite internet or television.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:54 AM

36,597 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There's actually a thread of truth in this rant. Kids graduate from high school and go to college. When they graduate, there are no jobs in their old small town, so they gravitate to cities where there is the opportunity to build a life. About 28% of adults in my state have a baccalaureate degree, but in my county it's only 9%. Some of the high school graduates make a good living in building trades, as loggers and such, but many are stuck in dead end minimum wage jobs. Many of them are drunks and druggies, but you find those wherever you go. Anyone with intelligence and initiative can do very well indeed. I rub elbows with multi-millionaires every day. They may be wearing bib overalls and muddy boots, but they know what they are doing.

I agree. And not every person wants to remain in their hometown for various reasons, not just lack of job opportunity. As well some return home after retirement and there is plenty of migration. In my small rural area we have too many, IMO, people moving in from all over. Lots of retirees, but lots of families too. Many are moving for a lower cost of living once they retired, some to escape the crime, regulations, crowding, people, and some just because they want a slower pace of life among " mountains views, streams, lakes, outdoors".

Old 04-24-2018, 07:29 AM

10,113 posts, read 6,463,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
No satellite available? I have no options where I am other than satellite. No cable, no dsl or other. There is a fellow that had a blog.. still is on Facebook I believe.. Duane Ose. He lives in Alaska, 205 miles from the nearest road. The last homesteader in Alaska. He is a fur trapper, married a mail order bride close to 50 yrs ago. Lived in a dugout for 9 yrs while he hand built a log home. He has internet. Satellite dish and he provides his own electricity. Where in this country can one not get satellite service? I know that some places .. particular homes, trees can block the signal but trees can come down. I'm in a Nat'l Forest and have a 20' clearing around the house... the dish is on my roof.

If the library is getting internet... why can't they?
Poverty. And trees.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:54 AM

14,551 posts, read 12,192,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Sorry, but not "every square inch of the USA has ...internet". Our county government is currently trying to partner with a private enterprise to provide internet services to people who don't have it in our rural county. Many of these residents use the local private library to gain internet access, otherwise they wouldn't have access at all. It seems ridiculous for a county with one of the largest and oldest Naval R&D bases in the country not to have this access available to all citizens, but it's also the reality for many.
Satellite is available everywhere. It may not be cheap, and it still requires power, but it's available.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:22 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,137,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Thanks for the neat stories. I enjoy hearing them. That goes for the rest of you too. I had to look up Duane Ose to learn more. What a cute couple, and I love their sense of humor. Tough as an old boot, both of em. Sorry if these have been posted already.

https://www.facebook.com/osemountainalaska/

-------------------------------------
heh.. that was good. I didn't know they had made that little clip. I remember when she broke her leg, it was just a couple of yrs ago.
His blog when he had it was great..he had so many pics and so much info. Following his fur trapping was fun too. Interesting. Definitely an interesting couple. Oh.. and anyone that's willing to work... he'll let you come and visit and stay for a while.. but you'll work. Help cut firewood or whatever. I would have had I not had a husband at home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living