Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 08:41 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just wondering what the ongoing electrical bill would be to have such a fence?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Great story! But electric fence is actually a very good way to keep bears out. The game farm up near here keeps their bears in pens with 4-foot field fence and a couple strands of electric on top.

Doesn't have to be super high voltage... just a typical farm charger would do.
There are solar powered batteries you can use for the couple strands of electric wire. It doesn't have to be high voltage if you smear it with honey or jelly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 08:51 AM

643 posts, read 329,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
There are solar powered batteries you can use for the couple strands of electric wire. It doesn't have to be high voltage if you smear it with honey or jelly.
The honey or jelly part is true.

You have to entice any animal ( wild or farm animal) to get a shock due to slow moving curiosity.

Otherwise they will be thru the fence at the same time as they get the shock.

My cattle had to be trained before allowing them out in a big pasture.

I hung plastic strips that were soaked in water and the calves would come up and outof curiosity touch it with their nose.

I doubt an electric fence would work w/o honey or jelly to "train" the bear.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:36 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
You wouldn't happen to be a guitarist, would you?
LOL - I thought the same thing when I read his post. My step-son is a guitar player and once when he was here helping us pack up some things, he packed a box of extension cords and wrote the label just like that - "chords." I still laugh when I think about it.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:20 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just wondering what the ongoing electrical bill would be to have such a fence?
...FWIW, the ongoing electrical bill would be very low, regardless of the voltage that fence typically operates with. These fences are low (low low low low low) current devices, and since power (in watts) = voltage x current, the wattage would be tiny. Hence the electrical bill would be tiny.
...Now back to our regular programing.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:21 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
LOL - I thought the same thing when I read his post. My step-son is a guitar player and once when he was here helping us pack up some things, he packed a box of extension cords and wrote the label just like that - "chords." I still laugh when I think about it.
Could've been a 'Velvet Underground cable', no?

Old 07-20-2018, 03:32 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Great story! But electric fence is actually a very good way to keep bears out. The game farm up near here keeps their bears in pens with 4-foot field fence and a couple strands of electric on top.

Doesn't have to be super high voltage... just a typical farm charger would do.
Yep. Electric fences can deter bears. In fact, NPS employers often recommend and supply them for field work crews to put up around their spike camps (a camp that is located in one spot for more than a couple of days). For both grizzlies and black bears. The main issue here is that you now have an "educated" bear that knows where the food is. Ramp up the power once it's installed so a curious bear gets a good strong zap, learns a lesson. You may be able to reduce the voltage after that.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:48 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigangreg View Post
could've been a 'velvet underground cable', no? :d
lol

Old 07-26-2018, 01:12 PM

366 posts, read 214,807 times
Bear stew
Bear rug
Just sayin.....

Old 07-26-2018, 01:20 PM

643 posts, read 329,922 times
A guy gave me a bear roast once.

Very good !

He said he made sure all fat was trimmed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living