Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 04:12 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,216 times

Advertisements

So, I learned years ago that when something 'not so great" happens, and you know that its' going to be a "good story that you can laugh about someday," that you might as well laugh about it now. So, this is what happened.

Yesterday morning we went into the younger chickens and baby goats pen to feed them breakfast and just play with them a bit. Because we live in a predator-filled area, their pen is 6 feet tall chain link fence, AND it is covered and very well secured with more chain link fence. So, we went in and immediately noticed that one of the metal poles was bent. and the chain link covering was no longer flat. Since we figured that it was not from a hawk that was dive-bombing to get to the chickens [happened last year]all we could figure was that a bear had made it onto the top of the fence and tried to get in. We double checked to make sure everything was secure and took turns "taking watch" last night.

About 1 AM, my son screamed "BEAR!" We ran out and there was a big black bear banging against the side of the pen. We started screaming at the bear. The chickens were squacking. The bear did not r.un off until Bobby slammed the door behind him when he ran inside to get the shotgun with the rubber bullets that the sheriff had given us right after we moved here.

This morning we made our plan of defense. We toyed with the idea of amping up the electric fence, but we all knew that would not stop a determined bear. We have no electricity to that part of the property. So, we paid over $125 for 3 loooong extension cords that were durable enough to be buried underground. We bought 2 motion flood lights, another supportive pole, and found an old "low technology" radio, which will be permanently playing "talk radio" stations. And with all the extras to put everything in place, it came to a little over $300. But, if that keeps our 6 younger chickens [who are not even laying yet] and our 2 goat doelings[who will not be giving us milk for almost 2 years] safe, it's all good. Somewhere during October, the 6 girls will probably each lay their first $100 dollar eggs.

$300 is quite a bit of money to us, but if we each do an extra hour of online surveys every day for the next month it will be paid off. So, assuming that our 'girls" are safe, this "good story you can laugh about someday" is something I thought I would share today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 04:15 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Sounds like a blog entry.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:24 PM

1,204 posts, read 933,989 times
Great story, Vicky!

Old 07-19-2018, 04:32 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Is this a short or long term solution? Be careful that the chords are rated for under ground long term use.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:50 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
We toyed with the idea of amping up the electric fence, but we all knew that would not stop a determined bear.
I took a class about bears here in New England recently. They said the electric fence doesn't have to be high voltage. You are supposed to rub honey or jelly or any sticky sweet stuff on the fence. Ideally the bear will try to lick it and get a shock on his tongue... and then run the other way. So in addition to what else you are trying, put out the sweet stuff.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:58 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I took a class about bears here in New England recently. They said the electric fence doesn't have to be high voltage. You are supposed to rub honey or jelly or any sticky sweet stuff on the fence. Ideally the bear will try to lick it and get a shock on his tongue... and then run the other way. So in addition to what else you are trying, put out the sweet stuff.
Just wondering what the ongoing electrical bill would be to have such a fence?

Old 07-19-2018, 07:57 PM

643 posts, read 328,904 times
Back in the 70's I kept beef cattle in a distant pasture using a battery powered fencer.

I also heard you could use a coil from an old model car and really make that fencer strong.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:03 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Great story! But electric fence is actually a very good way to keep bears out. The game farm up near here keeps their bears in pens with 4-foot field fence and a couple strands of electric on top.

Doesn't have to be super high voltage... just a typical farm charger would do.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:06 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Is this a short or long term solution? Be careful that the chords are rated for under ground long term use.
You wouldn't happen to be a guitarist, would you?

Old 07-20-2018, 08:12 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Sounds like a blog entry.

Except I can share in those thoughts.

I just paid $100 for an incentive to learn how to do my own repairs. Something wasn't working, they came out, it was a simple repair over 15 minutes, and it cost me $100. I don't argue the price but it is an eye opener for me to realize how much house calls cost.

Moral of the story is to investigate first before you cry for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living