Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:19 AM

8 posts, read 18,120 times

Advertisements

I purchased property in 2010 and signed with sellers of property a shared “Two party water well agreement.
Agreement states:
Both parties are responsible for one half of all well expenses,upkeep and taxes .
It is understood that both users of water system will share in the electricity bill.
(User is the one actually using water.)
This agreement shall be binding on all successors and assigns of both parties and runs
Pertinent to the land.If any party permanently cease and abandon their respective share,
That share reverts to the other share holder equally.
Grantor of the above described well and the well site, together with all water lines and storage tanks
Connected thereto will not be liablein any respect whatsoever for failure of
SUSPENSION,quality,purity,or diminishing of water supply service or pressure.

I have paid entire electric bill and have had well serviced at my own expense for over 4 1/2 years the renters
Have been given bills by certified mail and refused receipt.
Owner of property refuses to give me their mailing address.
Renters use water for a mobile car washing business and have over 4 people living there
Vs just me.
Based on well share verbiage
Abandon their respective share 4 1/2 years should indicate that have abandoned their interests in performance
Of agreement and I’m not liable for suspension of service.
It would seem to me that at this point a letter of intent to shut water off within say 30 days of pay in full would be fair and I’m not responsible for loss of income for their
Business or any damages .
If I’m all wet (pun) intended could someone chime in.
This has been very stressful and burdensome to say the least.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 10:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
First, go to the website for (or visit) the County Assessor's office. It's public record, and here the website has a simple search that gives the owner information including mailing address for the tax bill. If you can't get a hold of them or they refuse to help, get a lawyer to review the agreement and advise. If it doesn't show a remedy, you will most likely need to have receipts for everything you have paid, and put a lien on the property for their half.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:47 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
You need a lawyer, preferably the one who wrote the sharing agreement. If he/she cannot get the county judge to enforce the agreement, then you'll need another lawyer to sue the other lawyer for errors and/or omission, unless your forbearance over the years has effectively waived any rights you might originally have had. I think. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:34 AM

Owner of record died and the living trust new owner will not give me their
Address.Also they refuse to help in any way. This from phone conversations.
They live out of state.
Nalabama are you saying that by performing my due diligence I have sat on my rights to enforce the agreement.by what time frame would “permanently cease” cause me to lose any rights
Living on ssi prevents any hiring of a lawyer .

Old 10-31-2018, 11:36 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwashedup View Post
Owner of record died and the living trust new owner will not give me their
Address.Also they refuse to help in any way. This from phone conversations.
They live out of state.
Nalabama are you saying that by performing my due diligence I have sat on my rights to enforce the agreement.by what time frame would “permanently cease” cause me to lose any rights
Living on ssi prevents any hiring of a lawyer .
If you shut the water off and they sue you, are you going to manage to find money for a lawyer then?

Old 10-31-2018, 05:00 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
You can always sue them for what you have spent in the last 3 years. If your state is typical, torts are uncollectible after 3 years. You can get the address of the owner of record from the county tax collector. Somebody is paying the property taxes. If there is a lender on the property, you might send them a notice of intent to file lien, along with the owner of record.

Without a clear definition of what constitutes abandonment, you will need a judge to slice this baby in half. You probably won't get any money right now, but $25 a year to get a small claims judgment isn't a big expense, and if the judge goes along with granting you a lien, you will collect when the property is sold. You may also get the statutory 9% interest on the outstanding balance, which is a sweet deal.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:24 PM

Property taxes haven’t been paidin 4 years not has the Rent.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:26 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Property taxes haven’t been paidin 4 years not has the Rent.
What state are you in where property taxes are delinquent for four years without a tax sale occurring? Two years delinquent is pretty standard.

The trust address should be listed in the tax documents, the State/County/Town needs an address to send the tax bills to.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:38 PM

California. Tax bill is sent to deceased owners family trust. Person that inherited property has not notified county of new ownership and will not give me their address.
5 years before tax sale in my county.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:32 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times
Quote:
California. Tax bill is sent to deceased owners family trust. Person that inherited property has not notified county of new ownership and will not give me their address.
5 years before tax sale in my county.
Figures it’d be CA. This state makes it so easy for criminals and other scofflaws to flourish. The laws and policies of this state hurt and go against law abiding citizens. Consult a real estate attorney with experience in water well rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living