Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 01:25 PM

8,931 posts, read 4,660,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by US64WB View Post
Hey! I'm a 18 year old male from suburban Minneapolis ...

So I guess what I'm asking is what kind of careers would I need to look at in order to live someplace I would want to? And what are some good rural areas to live? ...
You don't mention what skills or aptitudes you have now, but here are a few thoughts, in addition to what "MistofTime" listed.

Most rural areas are heavy on farming, ranching, etc
That means welding, building fences, farm machine repair...
Soil testing, truck driving, fertilizer delivery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
People that migrate here are mostly retirees, like me.
No good at mechanical stuff, but willing to work hard and deal with us old folks?
Most of us are going to need help with things as we get older (aka: assisted living)

Quote:
Young adults who need to start careers tend to leave this state, seeking careers somewhere else.

This morning I met with some techs doing work on a building I own, one of them is a Sprinkler system tech. He and all of his co-workers are in their 60s and 70s. No young men are going into that field. They know that as they retire, there is nobody in the career field to replace them. The man I was talking to, just wants to retire. Another firm in Michigan has offered him $50/hour to move out there. He was telling me that if any new person started they would need to do a 10-year apprenticeship. It takes 5-years of On-The-Job training to learn enough to pass the testing to get certified, and then another 5 years to become really competent to go out to a job-site by yourself. It is a big nation-wide corporation, so you could live anywhere in the nation.
Now that sounds like an opportunity.
If I understand correctly, the first step is to become a plumber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 01:31 PM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
... Now that sounds like an opportunity.
If I understand correctly, the first step is to become a plumber.
You would think so, but no.

To become a plumber you need to know a lot of building codes. And none of that knowledge is required for sprinklers.

Whereas these systems have their own unique building codes.

As one guy told me today, they want a young person who will show up on time, 5 days a week and who will stay on the job for 8 hours. They will teach everything a person needs for the job.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:35 PM

367 posts, read 421,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US64WB View Post
I guess what I'm asking is what kind of careers would I need to look at in order to live someplace I would want to?
Contractor, electrician, plumber... a lot of rural ares have dearth of these. Truck driver is another possibility/owner-operator, or being a nurse.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:36 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
The first thing you need to do is go to college or a vocational school and pick a career that is useful in a small town or rural area. As someone else mentioned, agriculture or the medical field may fit the bill. Then you can search and find a small town you like, find a job there that will pay your bills and move there. There are tons of towns with populations less than 10,000 that are not in Mississippi and not dying. BTW, some people are quite content living in Mississippi.
You need to take one step at a time with your future in mind and getting a meaningful education is the first step, even in farming or agriculture. Agriculture is a very wide field and there are some really good universities that offer bachelor degrees in their School of Agriculture. We don't all need to be rocket scientists and engineers to be happy and successful.

Last edited by marino760; 12-07-2018 at 02:53 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 02:53 PM

8,931 posts, read 4,660,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
You would think so, but no.

To become a plumber you need to know a lot of building codes. And none of that knowledge is required for sprinklers.

Whereas these systems have their own unique building codes.

As one guy told me today, they want a young person who will show up on time, 5 days a week and who will stay on the job for 8 hours. They will teach everything a person needs for the job.
Still sounds like an opportunity.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:03 PM

496 posts, read 412,022 times
Plenty of small towns in Indiana and Ohio. Everything mentioned above. Teaching, medical, law enforcement etc. The small towns in these areas often have factories. So engineers, hr and maintenance techs are also in demand.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:27 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,183,676 times
Go to school for Forestry and get in with the US Forest Service. Most offices are in map-dot towns.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:32 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
fairhope, alabama

Old 12-07-2018, 05:54 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Have you considered Wisconsin?

They are experiencing a labor shortage, and most of Wisconsin is rural, but there are plenty of big cities within commuting distance that you could find work while figuring out what you want to do for the rest of your life. Also, Wisconsin is very mixed, politically, I think, depending on the county/area.

https://www.wpr.org/wisconsin-employ...orker-shortage

Old 12-07-2018, 08:25 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Go to school for Forestry and get in with the US Forest Service. Most offices are in map-dot towns.
The Forest Service has a wide variety of professional skills. If you don't have a forestry degree.....ask anyway.

IT, Business Management, Landscape Architecture, etc. etc.

For most folks...medical fields. Be a doctor. You can live anywhere. A nurse probably needs a doctor to work with.....

Educational fields. Little tougher, since lots of local kids come back with teaching certifications, but doable particularly in the scienes.

Every job in an urban area is almost always found in a rural area.....the difference is....there is just ONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living