Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:20 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times

Advertisements

Should come to western Kentucky. Quite a few small towns. I live in Mayfield. Is 10,024 population too high? Have some places to work in the area. Chicken processing plant just outside town with starting pay of $14.50/hr. Paper mill getting ready to reopen about 25 miles away with pretty good pay and benefits. But if you don't want a factory job, I have a friend who has worked for Dollar General in this area for almost 15 years and is doing pretty good. Want to deliver pizzas? Delivered for a pizza chain for a month and a half before going to DG and made almost $1000 just in tips! Not saying those are the only jobs around here.
Want a little more education? Murray State University is less than 20 miles away. Even if you don't want to go to college, that's a good place for concerts. Murray State University - Murray, Kentucky
If you need a little "resting and recreating" time, Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley are about a half hour away and the Land Between the Lakes, 170,000 acres of nothing but nature, is right there. Kentucky Lake is the largest man made lake (by acreage) east of the Mississippi River.
https://www.explorekentuckylake.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 10:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
GA, Carolina Mtns (I don't do HEAT, so I don't do SE USA) no problem with HEAT this week!
NE TN

as Sub mentioned.

"Pick up a trade".

Mine served me well, Most yrs I made more in OT wages than straight time.
I worked nights, More money, more daylight time at home (to farm), no bosses, 'work' is FAR less hassle on nights, no stink'n 'day-shift' cry-babies.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-12-2018 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-12-2018, 12:55 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,845 times
As the Mike Rowe Foundation has noted, jobs in the trades are lacking all over the US. I do know that master plumbers, master electricians, master carpenters, HVAC, etc. can earn six figures a year. Naturally, apprentices and journeymen don't earn so much, but they do have to learn the trade.

The best idea presented here is to learn enough about each trade to be able to take care of most stuff on your own. Then live as far out in the rural regions as you want. You'll be able to live on quite a lot less than those who have to hire the repairs.

Or, if you find a trade you particularly like, go for it.

You don't have to go to college or be an office worker to have a good living.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:32 PM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
They must not be looking very hard. My husband can't keep foresters on staff. He's hiring CONSTANTLY. He made 13 job offers in one day last week.
The mills are closed. There is nobody buying timber.

I own a woodlot. There are plenty foresters in this area. When I hire a forester, they are all focused on the value of timber in my woodlot, and I have to rein them in to the fact that nobody is buying timber because there are no mills running.

Standing timber is useless when there is no market for it. Foresters trying to convince me of how valuable my timber is, seems kind of silly when it has no market value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living