Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 07:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
When you buy isolated homes in the country, your home isn't a very liquid asset, but you do get more freedom than anywhere else.
Freedom of being alone, but not freedom of choice (when selling / needing to move / finding contractors / jobs...)

Always lived in the 'nearby boonies'... 10 miles to decent town.

In energy / mining states...entire towns have been known to dry-up... turn to ghost towns (no buyers).

Know that when you buy... you may be STUCK. (lack of freedom)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 08:03 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,611,100 times
What I don't see the appeal of is some subdivisions that are 15-20 minutes from a grocery store but have smaller lots (less than a half an acre in some cases before there were restrictions on requiring a certain size property for septic fields, etc.).

So you have the inconvenience of living far out but none of the benefits. And these are not the kind of subdivisions that have any sort of meaningful restrictions. They have old junk cars, loud barking/roving dogs, people burning trash feet away from other houses, trespassing with ATVs., etc. Who would want to live there (maybe just because it's cheap)?

Old 01-03-2019, 10:11 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Someone mentioned about wanting a dog park because of us wanting to be social. It’s more for our dogs. The younger one needs more socialization with other dogs besides her sister.

I think next time we should check the area better when we move. We don’t use gas/propane we use a wood stove if it gets really cold other then that we use space heaters.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:37 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I think next time we should ...
...rent for a year or so before buying? You betcha!
Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do.

In general:
Absent the costs and bother of selling many relocating folks won't stick around very long
once they've had the time in place needed to really experience the day to day local realities.
This is true of any place ...but especially so when it's remote and/or outside their past patterns.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:48 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I love being out in the country and crave a visit often. But, I'm used to the conveniences of being able to walk to the train, restaurants,grocery store, pharmacy, doctor's office, and dentist if we decide to switch. We have movie theaters close by, ice skating, roller skating, a great bike path, and skiing about an hour and a half away. Give me a quiet river and a fishing pole or a horse on a wooded path and I'm in heaven. The country is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. I'm just too high octane and an adrenaline junkie to live in the country full time. The quiet I crave from time to time would soon become a problem if there was nothing else.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:10 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
We bought a house three years ago in the country we are about 30 minutes from town. There isn’t an a lot to do in this town. The restaurants are terrible to get to a decent restaurant you have to drive another 15 minutes. We love to hike there are some hiking trails here but to get to the good ones we have to drive over an hour. Each one of those situations where before you leave town you have to make sure you get everything you need and all your errands run.

At some point, We plan to sell this house and move back west we talked about we talked about the pros and cons of living so far out. How far out is too far? What is everyone’s opinions about living far from town?
Big deal. We started combining trips way back when we lived about 10 slow, winding miles from the nearest stores. It is also when we began trying to make at least one day per week “no driving day.” It was not hard to do because we loved the hiking and biking right from home. After all, we had moved there to get AWAY
from traffic, densely populated areas, noise, and light pollution. After moving elsewhere and retiring, it became even easier to make more than one day per week no-drive days.

The few years we spent inside town limits were wrong, all wrong, despite being so convenient we really needed to drive only one day a week. There was never any peace of mind with so many people so close by.

Now we are 7 to 8 miles from town among multi-acre properties, some of them multi-hundreds of acres. We still hold to our minimum of one day a week of no driving.

But maybe what was all wrong for us would be more to your liking. Maybe you should rent for a year before buying in the next area.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:16 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I currently have clients where for the same piece of property, one would complain it's too far out, and the other would say it's too close to town. I'm sure there's a client it is "just right" for, but they're not on my list right now.

These preferences are highly personal and variable.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:18 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Big deal. We started combining trips way back when we lived about 10 slow, winding miles from the nearest stores. It is also when we began trying to make at least one day per week “no driving day.” It was not hard to do because we loved the hiking and biking right from home. After all, we had moved there to get AWAY
from traffic, densely populated areas, noise, and light pollution. After moving elsewhere and retiring, it became even easier to make more than one day per week no-drive days.

The few years we spent inside town limits were wrong, all wrong, despite being so convenient we really needed to drive only one day a week. There was never any peace of mind with so many people so close by.

Now we are 7 to 8 miles from town among multi-acre properties, some of them multi-hundreds of acres. We still hold to our minimum of one day a week of no driving.

But maybe what was all wrong for us would be more to your liking. Maybe you should rent for a year before buying in the next area.
There is one thing we found out about this area that we didn’t know until we’ve been here year and that was the crime rate is pretty high for a small town. There are some decent jobs there but apparently nobody wants to work.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:26 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
What I don't see the appeal of is some subdivisions that are 15-20 minutes from a grocery store but have smaller lots (less than a half an acre in some cases before there were restrictions on requiring a certain size property for septic fields, etc.).

So you have the inconvenience of living far out but none of the benefits. And these are not the kind of subdivisions that have any sort of meaningful restrictions. They have old junk cars, loud barking/roving dogs, people burning trash feet away from other houses, trespassing with ATVs., etc. Who would want to live there (maybe just because it's cheap)?
Right - I just don't understand that. Goes to show the difference between randomly-placed subdivisions of the early 2000s and before, and the newer ones that are more often placed near some sort of shopping experience. Even a strip mall, something!

Old 01-04-2019, 11:50 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
What I don't see the appeal of is some subdivisions that are...
So you have the inconvenience of living far out but none of the benefits.
You sure? Check the schools situation.
Beyond that... in twenty years it's likely to be built up there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living