Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 01:37 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times

Advertisements

Yes! That's it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 05:55 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
theirs are pets, and named after Breakfast Cereals with "C"....
Coco Crisp (MLB, too), Cheerio, Cinnamon, and Crunch.
I used to name our chickens things like, Alfredo, Cacciatore, Stew, Cordon Bleu, etc.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I used to name our chickens things like, Alfredo, Cacciatore, Stew, Cordon Bleu, etc.
We name ours old fashioned lady names.... and we choose names that start with one letter alphabetically each year, so we can remember how old they are. A names (Alice), B names the next year (Betty, Blondie, Bart), etc. We didn't start this system right away so we're currently at D names for our last batch... Deloris, Dottie, Daphne, Delaney, Daisy.... and so on.

We try to only have one hen of each kind, so we can tell them apart. We have one of each of the varieties commonly found in the feed stores... plus those mutts that have been bred and born here.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:31 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
My wife and I are currently living on our 65 acre homestead, gave thought to livestock many times over, realized that was just a fantasy, heck, I can barely keep up with the groundwork.
I’ve come to realize, homesteading / farming is a young persons game, if one doesn’t have a good support team forgetaboutit.
We gave up only 16 acres due to the maintenance. I’m thinking perhaps we might have had it easier with some sheep or goats to graze the field, instead of constant mowing. We gave 7 acres of hay away to the farmer down the road, so we might have used it ourselves. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:59 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I'm not talking about a major operation. Just a dozen sheep or so, some chickens, a horse, maybe a couple of goats. We have been talking about selling a few of our properties to buy a farm and getting some livestock.

How many hours daily would you estimate it takes to care for the animals listed above?

If you have a farm with livestock, what do you do when you have to leave home for several days?

What do you wish you knew before getting livestock?

One horse is a lot of work if you take care of it right and it has a job.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Wow I think a lot of people commenting here are really unhappy with their decision to have livestock! Like Diana Holbrook, this would be a hobby and the animals treated as pets with the benefit of eggs/milk as a bonus. I'm not looking for a big farming operation. But I do appreciate the very detailed feedback. I spent a lot of time in a rural setting as a teen with horses and cows, so I have seen the level of effort with those animals. I was more curious about smaller livestock. It's very interesting how people gravitate towards certain animals while others can't say enough about how much they hated having them.
So, no. I am not unhappy with my decision to run a small farm on my own. I'm not at all unhappy about taking care of my horses and my chickens and other animals. You wanted the reality of it, that was it. That was my experience. I wouldn't give up my horses, ever. However it does suck in the winter to have to haul water when everything is frozen. You wanted to know how much work it was. It kind of sounds like you just wanted everybody to say that it is all unicorns and rainbows. Unfortunately, that's not the case with anything. There are absolute reasons for doing this, knowing where your food comes from is the biggest. Since you won't be using them for food, these will literally just be your pets? Pets are a different thing than livestock. With all due respect, I'm not a hundred percent sure you can see that distinction. Those of us who raise livestock do it for our own Survival and for income. That's very different than just raising pets to have.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:17 PM

The coop needs cleaned out once in awhile, and their food and water needs to be checked every morning, but you can set it up to where the coop and the nestboxes are close and easy to get to. I think they're a good thing, and chickens are more fun than you think!

Ducks are fun too, but a little messier.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:36 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,050,475 times
The daily chores, whatever the livestock, don't take that much time once you get a routine going. The main thing is finding someone reliable to take care of them when you want to go away.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:26 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
My H's family used to own a cattle ranch in Texas. The day to day stuff was not bad at all, only took a couple hours. If you included things like the never ending fencing maintenance it was probably the equivalent of a part time job. A couple times a year when you had to move the herd, brand, and do medical care it was more than 8 hours a day.

If you grow what you feed them, you then also have a farming operation to run, maintain, and care for. And of course that takes time too. And expensive equipment. You also have to have a place to store the hay and silage. A part time job daily but a lot more than part time at planting and harvest.

An operation like this marries you to the land. You can never go away unless you have the luxury of having a responsible person to take care of your animals. You will almost never get to take a vacation or a long weekend!

Old 05-02-2019, 08:09 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,378,674 times
You might want to spend some time watching You Tube videos by Justin Rhodes. His Great American Farm Tour went all over the country and visited many farms. I recommend watching them on the big screen TV if at all possible.

There are so many good videos on You Tube that cover a wide range of farming issues and practices, especially small homesteading operations.

Best wishes for great success and fun if you do venture into any aspect of farming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living