Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times

Advertisements

I agree with you FrugalFox.
But would it not be the same if you asked how much money do people make here?
Where I work a husband and wife team with only one working here will earn a solid 300k with out a sheepskin.
The thing is they have to produce and lots of them do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 09:59 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFox. View Post
The level of education impacts a town greatly.
The lower the education, the more likely you have dopers, maybe even growers.
More likely to have bars
More likely to have crime
More likely to have lower income folks
More likely to be a lower COLA area
More likely to not have as good of schools.

Not saying all towns are this way but these are factors that often correlate with education levels.
Yet I am confident there can be towns with lower education levels which do not correlate, hence the word correlate with these factors.
Exactly right. I live in an unincorporated area outside a small town where houses range from higher end houses to low end shacks. Judging from some of these area houses, people are lucky if they finished grade school. Generally, people who are more educated, want to get out and work and contribute, not sit around on their lazy butts doping and throwing trash out their front door.

No matter how humble, I can respect a person who keeps their house and yard looking good. It says way too much about character when people turn their yards into junk piles. No, I don’t think most of them went very far in school.

Last edited by Taz22; 03-23-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-23-2019, 10:27 AM

83 posts, read 43,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I agree with you FrugalFox.
But would it not be the same if you asked how much money do people make here?
Where I work a husband and wife team with only one working here will earn a solid 300k with out a sheepskin.
The thing is they have to produce and lots of them do.
I am not sure the correlation between the level of income and specifically asking a poster how much they make.
With us, there is no correlation so it never occurred to me to think anyone who lives in a lower educated area is necessarily low income. Doesn't matter anyhow since this is an anonymous forum. FrugalFox is not my real name and a few of my details as I've posted have been changed, just in case

That is a great idea for a poll!

Old 03-23-2019, 10:31 AM

83 posts, read 43,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Exactly right. I live in an unincorporated area outside a small town where houses range from higher end houses to low end shacks. Judging from some of these area houses, people are lucky if they finished grade school. Generally, people who are more educated, want to get out and work and contribute, not sit around on their lazy butts doping and throwing trash out their front door.

No matter how humble, I can respect a person who keeps their house and yard looking good. It says way too much about character when people turn their yards into junk piles. No, I don’t think most of them went very far in school.
Yes, that is likely a correlation too. The toilet out front with the plants growing inside is a tip off lol

Old 03-23-2019, 04:03 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFox. View Post
Yes, that is likely a correlation too. The toilet out front with the plants growing inside is a tip off lol
But it adds atmosphere.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:06 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
The town I'm in is kind of bimodal distribution. Due to a national lab, we have a very high percentage of highly educated people in town. But then being middle of nowhere TN, the rest of the education level is very low. The same thing flows through the school system. For a small school, we have a large number of perfect SAT/ACT and college scholarship recipients. And a large number who have no education ambitions beyond getting out of high school.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:01 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The town I'm in is kind of bimodal distribution. Due to a national lab, we have a very high percentage of highly educated people in town. But then being middle of nowhere TN, the rest of the education level is very low. The same thing flows through the school system. For a small school, we have a large number of perfect SAT/ACT and college scholarship recipients. And a large number who have no education ambitions beyond getting out of high school.
You forgot the large number that doesn’t even care about graduating from high school.

The area I live runs the full gamut from dropouts to Ph.D.s and everything between. There is much substance abuse, which drags down both income level (or employment, period) and educational achievement.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:44 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
We live in a small town of about 3200. For every bar there are 3 churches. Average education level is High School. It sort of depends which side of the railroad tracks you live on. North of the tracks tends to be more affluent. South of the tracks tends to be poorer. There is also an east/west component. Western half of town is poorer, eastern half of town more affluent. Both my wife and I are college educated with good careers, both retired. We live in one of the nicer houses in our neighborhood. There are a number of double wide trailers all around us. We get along really well with our neighbors and enjoy our town a lot.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:53 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We live in a small town of about 3200. For every bar there are 3 churches. Average education level is High School. It sort of depends which side of the railroad tracks you live on. North of the tracks tends to be more affluent. South of the tracks tends to be poorer. There is also an east/west component. Western half of town is poorer, eastern half of town more affluent. Both my wife and I are college educated with good careers, both retired. We live in one of the nicer houses in our neighborhood. There are a number of double wide trailers all around us. We get along really well with our neighbors and enjoy our town a lot.
Trailer homes are no problem.

Drug cooking is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living