Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:21 PM

129 posts, read 163,097 times

Advertisements

Any one know of any towns that are not liberal or conservative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 05:22 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
I've moved roughly 30 times in the past ~28 years, from towns under 1,000 pop to cities over 5million. That's having lived in about half the US states, from the least populated to the most, and every major region. Never, not even once, have I lived somewhere I'd say the town was decidedly one way or the other. Actually, in all cases, I'd say the towns are ambivalent to "politics", with the people preferring to keep their opinions to themselves and company they know share their opinions.

Now, maybe that's because I don't fuss about politics. It's one of those things over which I have no control and just opt to not be involved in, so I judge each entity (person, business, town, etc...) by their own merits and not some label arbitrarily assigned by random people. These days, I do my absolute best to avoid ANYONE who mentions politics in any way as they are all proving to be people with lower ethics and morals than I feel I maintain.

So, don't want to live somewhere that's "liberal" or "conservative", then stop looking to assign those labels and *poof*, you'll be there!

Old 02-20-2019, 06:31 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,823 times
We live in Oakridge, Oregon, population about 3200. Seems like a nice mix of liberal and conservative. We live on the west end of town and our neighbors are pretty liberal. Politics is not a common topic.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:56 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
Well there's always the town of Neutral, Kansas. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral,_Kansas

Old 02-21-2019, 09:46 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I've moved roughly 30 times in the past ~28 years, from towns under 1,000 pop to cities over 5million. That's having lived in about half the US states, from the least populated to the most, and every major region. Never, not even once, have I lived somewhere I'd say the town was decidedly one way or the other. Actually, in all cases, I'd say the towns are ambivalent to "politics", with the people preferring to keep their opinions to themselves and company they know share their opinions.

Now, maybe that's because I don't fuss about politics. It's one of those things over which I have no control and just opt to not be involved in, so I judge each entity (person, business, town, etc...) by their own merits and not some label arbitrarily assigned by random people. These days, I do my absolute best to avoid ANYONE who mentions politics in any way as they are all proving to be people with lower ethics and morals than I feel I maintain.

So, don't want to live somewhere that's "liberal" or "conservative", then stop looking to assign those labels and *poof*, you'll be there!
I couldn't agree more! I have ranked metro areas, retirement areas, and small towns since 1985. I'm also an Independent Conservative and devout Christian. I am astounded by the number of people here in C-D who actively seek new places to live with political leanings as one of their tipping points. Pretty much no matter where one lives, you can find your niche. Too, if you're not a jerk, have a live-and-let-live attitude, and can agree to disagree, you can get along with anyone. I come into contact with many people daily and politics is never mentioned or an issue at all. Yet I don't "hide" who I am either, and I don't expect others to do so as well. Too many watch too much news and allow that to formulate their views of other people who they don't even know. I live in the Charlotte area. The city of Charlotte leans just left of center. The suburbs (where I live) are pretty conservative. Overall, a pretty moderate area. Yet we get along and interact well. We talk to each other at the checkout counter, post office, restaurants, parks, etc. Politics are never mentioned. It's GREAT! lol. Again, great post

Old 02-21-2019, 02:34 PM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
If you are politically aware, then the best you can hope for is a mix of Liberal and Conservative.
There aren't too many were the whole populace is so apathetic as to be neither.
(In reality, though, only about a third of people are politically aware, and the rest are apathetic.)

Old 02-22-2019, 06:24 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,619 times
Politics, sports, and many churches have the same type of fans, rivalries, etc. If you don't see anybody caring about politics, they may all be rabid sports fans.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:41 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeazabird View Post
Any one know of any towns that are not liberal or conservative?
I'd say just about anytown along the I-70 corridor thru Pittsburgh, Youngstown, Zanesville, Columbus, Dayton, Richmond, Indianapolis, Terre Haute, St. Louis, Columbia, Kansas City, and Denver

I think those are the cities you will find a good mix of Country Club Republicans, Trump-like Republicans, liberterians, working middle class whites, poor whites, minorities, Those towns seem to be pretty much middle of the road with a slight turn to right, can often go either way, Democrat or Republican, liberterian, independent . They are usually more likely to vote for the less extreme candidate and vote for the person instead of the party. A high percentage of people from those cities voted for Obama 2008 and 2012 and then voted for Trump in 2016. Not one party truly dominates in these cities enough for it to be labeled a conservative or liberal city.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:32 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,166 times
Interestingly I notice some towns within SoCal either within the 88 within the greater Los Angeles area or the 36 in greater Orange county area that are pretty live and let live and not right or left or Democrat or Republican nor are hell bent to follow the fads from either side or try to micromanage their population. Alas since they are in California they will still have to go down with the ship.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I've found midsize midwestern communities to be, not neutral, but a good enough mix of both ends of the spectrum and including enough middle ground people that that's the aggregate effect. Too small, and they nearly without fail skew conservative (small college communities would be the main outliers), but enough of the more liberally-minded population wind up congregating in the smaller cities to balance that out, once you leave the smaller towns.

But if you're looking for communities where a majority truly doesn't profess an affiliation with any ideas either right-leaning or left-leaning, I'm not really sure that's a realistic endeavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living