Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 09:29 AM

216 posts, read 564,397 times

Advertisements

I'm sure like many on this forum, I can remember going to my Dads hometown when I was a kid. My family were visiting my Grandparents. It was a farming town in Northern Maine with a population of a few hundred people. I can remember my Dad borrowing my Uncles old Dodge pickup and riding into town. We had to stop and wait for the train to cross the road, and I can remember a feed store with quite a few old pickups parked out in front, a diner, a drug store, gas station, and market. Being a kid from the suburbs, I couldn't help but think how boring! Well that small town is gone now, like so many in this country, but I am hopeful it is out there somewhere for my family. I dream of me driving that old pickup, heading down to the feed store, and maybe "shootin the breeze" with my neighbor about what crop would be best to plant come spring. A town with a set of railroad tracks running down Main Street, a water tower off in the distance. I place where time stands still.

I've read there are still many places like this in states like Kansas and Nebraska. Would love to here more places. Even if you don't have time to describe it, just the name of the town would be great! I can do my own research from there. Thank you all for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 10:36 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,234,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
I'm sure like many on this forum, I can remember going to my Dads hometown when I was a kid. My family were visiting my Grandparents. It was a farming town in Northern Maine with a population of a few hundred people. I can remember my Dad borrowing my Uncles old Dodge pickup and riding into town. We had to stop and wait for the train to cross the road, and I can remember a feed store with quite a few old pickups parked out in front, a diner, a drug store, gas station, and market. Being a kid from the suburbs, I couldn't help but think how boring! Well that small town is gone now, like so many in this country, but I am hopeful it is out there somewhere for my family. I dream of me driving that old pickup, heading down to the feed store, and maybe "shootin the breeze" with my neighbor about what crop would be best to plant come spring. A town with a set of railroad tracks running down Main Street, a water tower off in the distance. I place where time stands still.

I've read there are still many places like this in states like Kansas and Nebraska. Would love to here more places. Even if you don't have time to describe it, just the name of the town would be great! I can do my own research from there. Thank you all for your time
Yes on Kansas and Nebraska -- also Missouri, Iowa, the Dakotas, Oklahoma, Indiana, downstate Illinois. A big chunk of this country is still like that.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:57 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,090,641 times
The towns around me are still like that. Check out Rochester.
Start here, at the diner: (I really wish my truck was there for the picture!)

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.8218...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 09-30-2019 at 11:23 AM..

Old 09-30-2019, 01:33 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
There are plenty of small towns in New Mexico like that; in fact, some of them are used in films on the Old West, and no special props are needed! Many are populated by Hispanic families who have been in the area 400 years. There are also towns like that in "Gold Country" in California's Sierra foothills; one of the most affordable areas in CA. Look at Placerville, for example.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:01 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post

I bet Miami, OK would fit your bill. My paternal grandparents, and my dad was from there.

When we were kids, sometimes one of the grownups would give us money and let us go to the local little (and I do mean LITTLE grocery) to get a gallon of milk, and whatever change was left, let us get some penny candy.

When my grandpa was young, he was the lifeguard at the local community pool. Later, he became a house painter. Once, he pulled a drowning kid out of Neosho River. Everyone seemed to know who my grandpa and grandma were.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:32 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
I love driving through small towns in Texas. I'd look at a house and kind of wonder how they live, what do they do for fun, etc.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:44 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,932 times
Reminds me of this: Willoughby, next stop Willoughby

Old 09-30-2019, 04:54 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
All small towns aren’t the same. I would never buy in any area that is seeing a huge population decline. Neat and tidy towns that are in more desirable natural settings are a much better proposition for those that can afford it.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:54 PM

455 posts, read 1,498,815 times
Sounds like you are describing my town, Cornville, Az. Unfortunately, with the influx of people wanting to live in Sedona, the entire area (Verde Valley, Az) is growing and losing that small town feel.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:14 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Here ya go.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UZWT2E4oNjc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living