Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 03:06 PM

20,025 posts, read 20,831,761 times

Advertisements

So isn't there rules about mailbox placement?
Like when you have a bank of boxes in a row shouldnt they be so everyone is able to pull up to their box in the car and check their mail? And thus also keeping it easier for the postal worker to deliver the mail?

I'm curious because some toolbag from the city just bought a place up the road and installed a new mailbox and placed it out past all of the others in the row so that now nobody can roll up to their box and get the mail without getting out of their vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 03:10 PM

130,072 posts, read 12,078,224 times
Check with the post office, they have rules. I once wanted to move the mail slot ( on our house ) from one side to a different side, they said they would not want me to do it. The postal routes are timed, or something like that.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:14 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Like when you have a bank of boxes in a row shouldnt they be so everyone is able to pull up to their box in the car and check their mail? And thus also keeping it easier for the postal worker to deliver the mail?

I'm curious because some toolbag from the city just bought a place up the road and installed a new mailbox and placed it out past all of the others in the row so that now nobody can roll up to their box and get the mail without getting out of their vehicle.
I suspect the mailbox will be in line with the others as soon as the postman delivers. The post master will call the owner and request they move it. If not it would be a shame if it were "accidently" knocked down.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:18 PM

It was knocked down already!
It's one of those plastic ones.
So the box part is 3 snap together pieces.
Don't know if it was an "accident"or not, but it sat there in pieces for a few days before I assume the owner, snapped it back together.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:44 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Just a note.
If the Post Office doesn't deliver to the front of your driveway - doesn't go down your street.
You can get a free PO box.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:58 PM

Really? Didn't know that.
I live on a private road. Post office doesn't come down the road at all, ever.
All the boxes are up on the main road.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:23 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
From the USPS web site, FAQs concerning PO Boxes.

How can I qualify for a free PO Box?

You may qualify for free (Group E) PO Box service if your physical / business location meets all of the following criteria:

”The physical / business location is within the geographic delivery boundaries administered by a Post Office.
The physical / business location constitutes a potential letter carrier delivery point of service.
The United States Postal Service® chooses not to provide letter carrier delivery to the physical / business location.
The customer does not receive letter carrier delivery via an out-of-bounds delivery receptacle.
If you believe you meet all of these requirements, do not reserve a PO Box using the Post Office Boxes Online application. In these instances, please contact your local Post Office facility.“

Old 12-31-2019, 07:44 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post

Has anyone tried speaking to the new guy about it? Maybe he/she is just clueless.
At least its plastic. We had a new neighbor who built a rock house for his mailbox. It sticks too far out in the road. Our mailboxes are at the end of each drive so it doesn't obstruct anyone else but good grief it sure stick out in the way if one needs to pass an oncoming vehicle.
I would guess the postmaster would have something done about it if there were a complaint.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Our mail carrier will not deliver if he cannot reach the mailbox without getting out of his Jeep. Cars have to be parked 15' away from any mailbox, and same with the garbage/recycling on the day it's collected. Postal regulation do include mailbox height (41-45") and they must be 6-8" from the curb, or where the curb would be in more rural areas. The rules are to make it easier for the carrier. The USPS doesn't care whether it's easy for the resident to drive up and get there mail, in fact it's probably illegal, since the mailboxes are on the wrong side of the road for the driver to reach it without driving on the wrong side.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:27 AM

It's about 6" past the rest of the boxes.
And it's in the middle of the row, of about 6 or 7 so it's in just the right spot so nobody including the mailman can roll up and check without getting out, or for the mailman, to have to zig zag when delivering. The front of all the other boxes are even with each other and this one sticks out like a sore thumb.

My block is mostly 2nd homeowners so there really isn't anybody around to complain. Hell, I don't even know any of my neighbors(which is fine by me). I'm not losing sleep over this. It's really not *that* big of a deal, it's just the principle of it. I'm going with them installing it to be easier for them rather than being clueless just based upon the quality of the majority of these cidiot 2nd homeowners.

Maybe the post office will acknowledge it being an issue and notify them it needs to be moved back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living