Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 05:50 PM

997 posts, read 851,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Is my $8000 budget (used of course) reasonable for what I want?
$8000 may not be enough, though I haven’t priced tractors in a few years. I went bigger everytime I bought, but made a mistake when I bought Kioti Ck35 (35 hp). I should’ve spent a little more to get more than twice the machine. While my DK40 is only 6 more hp, the frame, axles, rearend, etc. are massive compared to the Ck series. And the ck was a beefy tractor compared to other brands in its class. I would’ve been money ahead buying a larger tractor. I would stay away from the John Deere’s unless they have the universal SSQA on the loader. They usually (when you upgrade) put there own proprietary “quick attatch” on and it i doesn’t work on anything else. Also, around 2015 they started putting tier 4 diesels in the 25hp and above tractors. Lots more electronics, regeneration, smog equip., etc. be aware and read up on which manufactures have had the least problems. Back to your question, $8000-10000 may get you an older dk40,45,50 series tractor. They made a Lot of them. The older (2014 and older) compare more to the current “nx” series tractors than the current “dk” series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 06:47 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,919,250 times
For five acres, you could do nicely with a sub compact and don’t be mislead by the words “sub compact”.

Get a 4WD whether you think you need it or not.
Hydrostatic drive
PTO
Belly mower
FEL (front end loader)
Pull behind dump cart - 17 CuFt minimum.

Im against dragging manure on five acres — If I had more than two horses, I would pick it every day, if that’s all the acreage I had but that’s just my opinion

We bought my 2005 John Deere 4110 (diesel) in 2007. It only had ~80 hours on it. We paid 12K. It has a Yanmar motor because JD doesn’t make their own anymore. But it’s a work horse.

Agree to buy a name that is well known and has parts availability.

Also agree to buy what is readily available in your area. If the tractor breaks down and has to be carried to a dealership, the farther you have to pay someone to haul it, the more $$$.

While we keep our three tractors clean, spit shining them does not make them run. Learn how to do basic maintenance and be diligent about it

Old 01-01-2020, 07:13 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Thank you all again....looking forward to tractor shopping.....

Old 01-05-2020, 02:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
really depends on your terrain and use (earth / rock moving).

Steep? (>10% grade?) if so get a 4x4.

I prefer tallest tires and heaviest tractor I can afford. 35HP is nice, 25HP is marginal. I only do diesel (home brew for cars / trucks / tractors) Gas engines do not like sitting in AZ for several months. Diesel can sit for several yrs and start / run fine. <1gal / hr diesel also makes for a very affordable PTO Genset for power losses. A std genset (gas) will drink your wallet dry (daily).

I have some Kubotas and some Yanmars. but if I bought new, I would be satisfied with a Kioti.

I rented some compact tractors and they are dangerous on my terrain. Small tires fall in holes and won't climb over rocks or felled brush >3". A compact tractor will not drag a tree / large cactus out of an arroyo. But the compact tractor is a lot gentler on your lawn / around the house.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:21 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
really depends on your terrain and use (earth / rock moving).

Steep? (>10% grade?) if so get a 4x4.

I prefer tallest tires and heaviest tractor I can afford. 35HP is nice, 25HP is marginal. I only do diesel (home brew for cars / trucks / tractors) Gas engines do not like sitting in AZ for several months. Diesel can sit for several yrs and start / run fine. <1gal / hr diesel also makes for a very affordable PTO Genset for power losses. A std genset (gas) will drink your wallet dry (daily).

I have some Kubotas and some Yanmars. but if I bought new, I would be satisfied with a Kioti.

I rented some compact tractors and they are dangerous on my terrain. Small tires fall in holes and won't climb over rocks or felled brush >3". A compact tractor will not drag a tree / large cactus out of an arroyo. But the compact tractor is a lot gentler on your lawn / around the house.
No grade at all, flat 5 acres.....

No lawn either, just scrubby dirt...and I plan on keeping it that way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living