Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 06:51 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,800,444 times

Advertisements

I didn't know if this should go in the automotive forum...? But figured I'd get better input here in the rural section.....

So, we're getting a larger (5 acre) lot and I'll need a tractor of some type. I've searched and it seems I can get a good used one for ~$8000, but I really have no clue.

It will be a light use tractor, the uses will be:

cutting down weeds a few times a year - no grass, but will need a mower of some sort...?
pulling a rake behind to clean up the horse pasture
a front loader for lifting hay bales, etc..?
an auger would be nice but not necessary..

So, any advice? Where to buy, etc. I'll be in central AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 07:20 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
So, we're getting a larger (5 acre) lot and I'll need a tractor of some type.
cutting down weeds a few times a year - no grass, but will need a mower of some sort...?
pulling a rake behind to clean up the horse pasture
a front loader for lifting hay bales, etc..?
an auger would be nice but not necessary..

So, any advice?
A CUT with some accessories that will suit.

Quote:
Where to buy, etc.
Near you. What brand/dealer choices do you have THERE?

Old 12-30-2019, 09:52 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post

So, any advice? Where to buy, etc. I'll be in central AZ.
Got my 10 year old New Holland T/C29D - with 82 hours. Private seller. Original owner.
Used by original owner only for snow. Backhoe and bucket. Always garaged.

I have had this New Holland for another 10 years. Still looks new. Always garaged here.

Found it on Craigs/list. Keep is washed/clean and wax it regularly. Use 303 protectant on all vinyl. Both seats still look new.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Sound similar to the needs of my parents on their 5 acres, plus they had a rototiller attachment and a post hole digger. They went for a 3 cylinder diesel (4WD) 28 HP Yanmar.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:29 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,887 times
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/g...045237604.html

This Ford would work fine. For 5 acres, you could get by with something fairly small, but it is always better to go a little bigger.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:07 AM

Thank you all....! Good looking machines there. I will have fun looking....

Old 12-31-2019, 10:49 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
I owned a John Deere 750 for similar activities. Maybe a little small for your needs.

I would stick with a John Deere or Kubota. Don't stray too far from major brands, even though you will get a "deal" for an off brand. Attachments get harder to find with lesser brands. Diesel engine for durability.

Get a major brand with a dealer somewhat near to you for parts and repairs. Four wheel drive necessary? Turf or tractor tires? Depends on whether you will use on your lawn and care about digging up the turf.

Three point hitch? Front, center and/or rear PTO? Cab or sun shade?

Go a little bigger than you anticipate. Nice to have more power and capacity rather than struggling to drive a mower or lift heavy items.

Small tractors are costly, but they hold their value. They are used by homeowners, small farms, corporate groundskeepers, contractors and landscapers. Don't buy junk just to save $$$. Buy the best you can afford. Some commercial operations take good care of their equipment and flip them regularly in order to keep the tax benefits alive. Your dealer might help you find some good equipment which has not been abused.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:47 PM

997 posts, read 851,524 times
I’ve had Deere’s, kubotas and 2 Kioti brand tractors. Currently I have a Kioti dk40 se hst. It’s a beast of a machine (41hp). Loader can lift 2750 lbs! High gpm hydraulic pump to run attatchments. Absolutely love this machine, looked very hard at the kubota grand L39, very similar tractor, specs wise. It’s been 5 years now and machine has never been back to dealer, never had to repair anything and I run the dog **** out of it!
Can’t go wrong with the Kubota either, pay a little more but a good machine, provided you but the right series.
What ever you buy, get a ssqa for the front loader, makes your machine much more versatile, changing to forks or my grapple in seconds! Get extendable rear links for the 3pt hitch, this helps immensely when booking up your brush hog, rake, Boxblade or other attatchments. Get a strong loader!!!!!! Get at least 2 sets of rear remotes so you can run TNT, top and tilt cylinders for 3 pt attatchments. You change the angle of your attatchments from the seat of your tractor rather than getting of machine and turning turn buckle. You really need all of these things to fully get the work out of your machine. The grapple I have is always on my machine, best $900 I ever spent. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:15 PM

Is my $8000 budget (used of course) reasonable for what I want?

Old 12-31-2019, 04:57 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Some years ago I bought an old 1954 International Super C, while it's a non-standard design I managed to source several old "Quick Hitch" implements and some adapters to allow using 3-point implements. There is a collector's association and you can find implements in the Red Power magazine they publish. Regular wear parts like oil filters, points, etc. are available at local IH/Case dealers and/or NAPA.

It's not as capable as a Kubota or similar, but it gets the job done, it's very vintage, will always be worth more than I paid for it ($1500).

I have pretty much just done an occasional oil change, put gas in it, that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living