Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 07:59 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,545 times

Advertisements

sounds like it's police business not yours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 07:42 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
You should host a week-long Billy Graham crusade in your yard. The dude will be bound to either change his ways or decide he's living in the wrong neighborhood and move, either way you come out a winner.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:12 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Update: "Jack" just had the police leave his home. He called them and made a report. He told me they told him if "K" does it again, call them back, and they'll take another report. That is some good news.

Last edited by TerraDown; 06-11-2020 at 05:35 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 08:39 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Update: "Jack" just had the police leave his home. He called them and made a report. He told me they told him if "K" does it again, call them back, and they'll take another report. That is some good news.

Good. It is good to have that sort of stuff on record. That way if it does escalate (here's hoping that doesn't happen!) it's already on record and they can't say well, he's never been trouble before or any such.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:57 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Good. It is good to have that sort of stuff on record. That way if it does escalate (here's hoping that doesn't happen!) it's already on record and they can't say well, he's never been trouble before or any such.
Yep. When we had a problem with a neighbor, my husband went to the police department and explained the situation. When crazy guy banged on my door, my visiting mother opened it -- I have no idea why -- and he made threatening statements. It wasn't the first time that they'd gotten a complaint about him. They made him aware that they were watching him for a while.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:46 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Good. Loose cannons should be reported and watched. Drunk, irrational, enraged, firearms handy, old feuds or prejudices = dangerous mix.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:38 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Police/Sheriff deputies are taught to DE-escalate. That means talking with people with problems, not beating them up or arresting without cause. Can you imagine how insane it would be if police took each small situation and made a Federal case out of it? Media and BLM have agendas that paint officers in a bad light. Police are good men and women tasked with and sworn to do a job, and they have the training to deal with unruly people. Bad people know that the person in uniform has infinite backup, and screwing around with them is not a good idea.

Reality is that when a law is actually broken and there is sufficient proof for an arrest, it isn't the police who decide whether or not to prosecute. That is the district attorney's job, and then a judge has to determine what gives and what to do, based upon existing law. Arresting someone or starting down that route when nothing will come of it clogs the court system and hinders important cases. Police have incentive to have perspective, unless they want to sit in a courtroom bored out of their skull and getting reamed by lawyers and judges for half their shifts.

You have a neighborhood dispute. From your perspective it is a big thing. In the greater scope of things it is not. People have a legal right to be irate and obnoxious, and to think things that aren't factual. There is a line that can get crossed though, which varies from state to state. Know your local laws. Walk into the sheriff's office and ask to speak with a deputy about what to do in certain situations. That was the very first thing I did when a methhead metal scrapper started stealing anything I left outside.

When you walk in without prompting, and you ASK for advice as to what is allowed and what isn't, YOU become the good guy and the one the police will tend to believe and listen to. Also, if there are other similar incidents in the area, your information may help in isolating and resolving the problem.

You seem to have fear that K is friends with the police. In most cases, the only ones that police allow to be real friends are other police and first responders. There are too many problems for them if they go outside that circle.

My problems vanished after a few things- I sat down with a deputy and learned when I was allowed to use my weapon and when not (I have a CC permit), I installed 24/7 video surveillance and various detectors around the property, was already out the door whenever UPS, Fedex, the mailman, or anyone else started down my driveway. That made it plain that I was very aware of my surroundings. There is a neighbor in my area that is a sometimes hothead. I've made it clear to him and his friends that I've no interest in him and view property rights strongly.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Police/Sheriff deputies are taught to DE-escalate. That means talking with people with problems, not beating them up or arresting without cause. Can you imagine how insane it would be if police took each small situation and made a Federal case out of it? Media and BLM have agendas that paint officers in a bad light. Police are good men and women tasked with and sworn to do a job, and they have the training to deal with unruly people. Bad people know that the person in uniform has infinite backup, and screwing around with them is not a good idea.

Reality is that when a law is actually broken and there is sufficient proof for an arrest, it isn't the police who decide whether or not to prosecute. That is the district attorney's job, and then a judge has to determine what gives and what to do, based upon existing law. Arresting someone or starting down that route when nothing will come of it clogs the court system and hinders important cases. Police have incentive to have perspective, unless they want to sit in a courtroom bored out of their skull and getting reamed by lawyers and judges for half their shifts.

You have a neighborhood dispute. From your perspective it is a big thing. In the greater scope of things it is not. People have a legal right to be irate and obnoxious, and to think things that aren't factual. There is a line that can get crossed though, which varies from state to state. Know your local laws. Walk into the sheriff's office and ask to speak with a deputy about what to do in certain situations. That was the very first thing I did when a methhead metal scrapper started stealing anything I left outside.

When you walk in without prompting, and you ASK for advice as to what is allowed and what isn't, YOU become the good guy and the one the police will tend to believe and listen to. Also, if there are other similar incidents in the area, your information may help in isolating and resolving the problem.

You seem to have fear that K is friends with the police. In most cases, the only ones that police allow to be real friends are other police and first responders. There are too many problems for them if they go outside that circle.

My problems vanished after a few things- I sat down with a deputy and learned when I was allowed to use my weapon and when not (I have a CC permit), I installed 24/7 video surveillance and various detectors around the property, was already out the door whenever UPS, Fedex, the mailman, or anyone else started down my driveway. That made it plain that I was very aware of my surroundings. There is a neighbor in my area that is a sometimes hothead. I've made it clear to him and his friends that I've no interest in him and view property rights strongly.

Have you ever seen the show "When Good Neighbors Go Bad"? Some (many) of those situations can and do escalate way out of control. You would also note that some of them have done some pretty horrific things and many times the police's hands are tied or they won't do anything because there is no history of bad behavior. Having it on record is a must if things eventually do get escalated.
It seems like you just jumped way ahead on this one, talking about beating him up, blm, using a weapon.... I have 3 cops in my family and they all said reporting it and getting it on record is the best first step.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:22 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Have you ever seen the show "When Good Neighbors Go Bad"? Some (many) of those situations can and do escalate way out of control. You would also note that some of them have done some pretty horrific things and many times the police's hands are tied or they won't do anything because there is no history of bad behavior. Having it on record is a must if things eventually do get escalated.
It seems like you just jumped way ahead on this one, talking about beating him up, blm, using a weapon.... I have 3 cops in my family and they all said reporting it and getting it on record is the best first step.
I don't watch "reality" tv, but know of many bad situations. I think that you can see from my previous post that I don't disagree with getting stuff on record, but point out that expecting more to a police response than the documentation is unrealistic until there is sufficient evidence for a rstraining order, etc. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I don't watch "reality" tv, but know of many bad situations. I think that you can see from my previous post that I don't disagree with getting stuff on record, but point out that expecting more to a police response than the documentation is unrealistic until there is sufficient evidence for a rstraining order, etc. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Ok... actually, no.. I didn't get that out of it but now that you've clarified it, I def agree with that.

Oh, and P.S... I generally don't watch reality tv (or much of any tv for a while now) but before my husband passed he was watching this in the middle of the day and I caught a bunch of episodes because of that while doing housework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living