Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,123 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

Here is the 'dilemma' where I find myself stuck, but not sure why.

I am 46, single, employed - remotely these days - in a job that provides a paycheck. I fully own my current home in Charlotte, North Carolina. I have friends and hobbies and had a full life prior to Covid.

I grew up in TN and my parents, who are now 75, live in Tullahoma, TN...aka sleepy, peaceful middle TN town about 1.5 hours to Nashville. We have a great relationship and they have asked nothing of me.

Also my grandmother's house, which is vacant now, is right beside my parents and has been updated and fixed up and is ready to sell. And it's right beside mom and dad's house.

So, with the whole pandemic fun, I've seriously been considering selling my home and buying my grandmother's house and moving back to TN.

I'm in a hot area of Charlotte and property values have more than doubled in the time I've lived here. My mother has told me I would need to buy my aunt out of my grandmothers house - would be a steal of a price for twice as much house as I am in now. I would also be able to bank a nice chunk from the sale of my home.

My parents have not asked me to do this, but for a few years I've been thinking about my parents getting older. They are very independent people, but I know the reality of aging. And I get such limited time in my 4 annual visits and the 7 hour drive home isn't convenient, though beautiful.

I don't know why I am dragging my feet on making this decision. I think I'm a bit afraid of losing a bit of my independence maybe or feeling too claustrophobic living so close. I've not lived at/near home since I was 17 and went off to college. I know my parents would give me my space as they want their own.

If I do it - bigger house, cheaper COL, nice bit to put in the bank, closer to parents, close to old friends.

If I stay - lots of continued quality time with me only and dogs (with pandemic), same old same, no change.

What would you do? Thoughts appreciated..want to make a decision! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 06:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,733 posts, read 58,079,686 times
If approved by your new neighbors, do it!

Realizing employment options may be limited, but if you can continue to work from home... live where you will enjoy every minute, as l our time is quite limited.

This very different from something I would / could do, but sounds great for you.

Invest your reduced expenses for an early retirement, or on travel / doing stuff with and for your parents. You've had 30 yrs on your own, you likely know what's best for you. Relationships are far more valuable and lasting than striving for wealth and career.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:08 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,106,895 times
It is not a decision we can make for you because there are other factors that only you can answer. Even though you get along with your parents well, could you stand being that close to them forever? How secure is your job? I ask because if for some reason you became unemployed, the job market in a small TN town would not begin to compare to the job market in Charlotte.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:15 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,797,133 times
Do it. Wish I could have bought a house next door to my parents when I moved back. Even living a couple miles apart worked out wonderfully . I wanted to help them while they were still relatively young (sixties) and active. And yes, they eventually needed me to help with their various health issues. I was glad I was there.

Old 07-04-2020, 09:17 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,217 times
I would think down the road and what it would be like living there after your parents pass away someday. Their house, I presume, would be sold and is that where you want to be for the long haul and would that be the future you see for yourself?

Old 07-05-2020, 12:07 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,517,299 times
You've answered your own question at bottom of your post "if i do" plus frankly way things are going getting outa Charlotte while you can with the opportunities in TN is a no brainer....

Old 07-05-2020, 01:44 PM

367 posts, read 585,681 times
I would do it. You can always move back to Charlotte or somewhere else if it doesn't workout. You only have so much time with your parents left.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:31 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,924 times
The best years of my life (also single but older than you) were the years I lived two miles from my folks. They moved to me after I retired, rather than the other way around, but that’s not the important part. We always enjoyed each other’s company, and they were as independent as it was possible for them to be. One of them is gone now and the other had to go to assisted living but I wouldn’t give up those 3 and a half years of daily drop in visits and drives for anything.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:11 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times
As others have said, you can always move again if your mindset changes after your parents are gone.

You seem to have something very special that not everyone has with their parents. Don’t let it slip away while you’re thinking. Time goes fast enough as it is.

Seems like New Years was last week. Even though 2020 could use a reset button, somehow we are already halfway through the year

Cash out and get moving

Old 07-05-2020, 10:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I'd move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living