Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 07:33 AM

726 posts, read 329,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicmom View Post
This has to do with gender and not sex. It has nothing to do with being sexually active or being attracted to a certain type of person.
The T-girl I used to know would disagree with that. Gender and sex are pretty tightly related, especially when you're old enough, which you should be before you start making decisions about what gender you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 07:37 AM

335 posts, read 166,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
The T-girl I used to know would disagree with that. Gender and sex are pretty tightly related, especially when you're old enough, which you should be before you start making decisions about what gender you are.
exactly

Old 01-07-2021, 07:02 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicmom View Post
I think you don't understand what it means to be transgender. This has to do with gender and not sex. It has nothing to do with being sexually active or being attracted to a certain type of person. It means that you do not identify as the gender you were assigned at birth. So if your birth certificate says "Female" you dont identify with being female and identify as a boy or vice versa. It has nothing to do with having sex or who you are attracted to.
How does this manifest in the child who doesn't identify with their outward gender?
Do they articulate that they do not feel like a boy? or girl?
Do they play with gender specific toys? Want to dress in opposite gender clothing?
How do you know?

Old 01-08-2021, 02:48 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,658,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
How does this manifest in the child who doesn't identify with their outward gender?
Do they articulate that they do not feel like a boy? or girl?
Do they play with gender specific toys? Want to dress in opposite gender clothing?
How do you know?
How would they even know what it means to feel like a boy or a girl?
They wouldn't.

They are being fed incorrect information from someone, or misinterpreting cues from others, and being led into a path of self destructive mental illness. This probably should have been dealt with the day they came out (or before that, when their behavior changed), but the so called adults in their life are doing them a great disservice, following the child's lead, instead of being the leader.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:01 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
How would they even know what it means to feel like a boy or a girl?
They wouldn't.

They are being fed incorrect information from someone, or misinterpreting cues from others, and being led into a path of self destructive mental illness. This probably should have been dealt with the day they came out (or before that, when their behavior changed), but the so called adults in their life are doing them a great disservice, following the child's lead, instead of being the leader.
Unfortunately I think what seems "common sense" to you, is not the way reality works.

We don't know why trans people feel they are "really" the other sex. Just like we don't know why gay people are attracted to members of their own sex. What appears to be well known is that this feeling of being the "other" sex, is something that all the re-programming, therapy, brainwashing in the world will not change. Basically you're faced with either accepting it, or driving it underground where it will later re-emerge in all kinds of sick and twisted ways (including, quite often, suicide).

Do you REALLY think any parent WANTS their child to go through the trauma of feeling transsexual, and thus imparts such messages to them? And don't you realize that almost every trans person has had TREMENDOUS pressure to conform to their apparent sex, and has been unable to do so despite extreme efforts?

Sorry, but you're just moving the whole "re-programming of gay people because homosexuality is just a choice" to a different sphere. I don't know how gay people become gay, I don't know how I became hetero; I don't know how trans people get that way, I don't know how it is that I clearly identify as male just like my birth certificate says; what I do know is that just like I don't have any choice whether I want to be attracted to women or to think of myself as a man, gays and trans don't have any choice either. There is essentially NO support in any responsible, data-based sphere for the idea that people have a choice in sexual orientation or identification.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:30 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Post Google "Munchausen syndrome by proxy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Do you REALLY think any parent WANTS their child to go through the trauma of feeling transsexual, and thus imparts such messages to them?
Many? No.

Any? Sadly, yes.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
What appears to be well known is that this feeling of being the "other" sex, is something that all the re-programming, therapy, brainwashing in the world will not change. Basically you're faced with either accepting it, or driving it underground where it will later re-emerge in all kinds of sick and twisted ways (including, quite often, suicide).
Appears to be well known, but wrong.
The brainwashing is being done by those who embrace post modern thinking: that there is no right or wrong, and they are pushing that line of disinformation for their own hopeless virtue signalling.

Quote:
Do you REALLY think any parent WANTS their child to go through the trauma of feeling transsexual, and thus imparts such messages to them? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Many? No.
Any? Sadly, yes.
You are quite correct.

But it isn't always the parent that pushes the incorrect signalling to them. Today we have media saturated with false signals and disinformation. And teachers and schools. And many others, sending perverted messages to children that will brainwash them and their parents into believing right is wrong and wrong is right.

A well balanced adult with wisdom will understand that they are being Gaslighted, but today, the majority of people eschew sound doctrines, and believe that thinking "with their heart" (really nothing more than being led by emotions and hormones) is a greater understanding. It is a philosophy of life that ends in destruction, but today it is the most common philosophy.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:33 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Appears to be well known, but wrong.
Please provide some peer-reviewed citations on the success rate of "gender dysphoria re-programming" or whatever you choose to call it.

Whatever you may believe about how people "ought to be", will be irrelevant in the face of how people actually are. I think you will not find many actual practicing psychiatrists who are of the opinion that trans people should be forced, cajoled, brainwashed, pressured, shamed, or what have you, into acting against their deep feelings that they are a different sex than they appear to be.

I can't understand it either, I'm obviously a dude and never even thought about it till recently, but what these people feel is real. The difference is that I'm open-minded enough to believe what trans people are saying about how they feel, and you want to push them back into the closet.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Please provide some peer-reviewed citations on the success rate of "gender dysphoria re-programming" or whatever you choose to call it.
Not my problem. It is what has been know throughout history.
If you want to refute that, it is up to you to provide evidence.
And not some politically correct BS that makes a sham of science,
it would have to meet my approval. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:53 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Post Puberty blocking is not risk-free, but most of the claims about these drugs are overwrought at best

When I was in middle school, none of us even knew what "trans" was (we barely comprehended the L,G,B part)
Quote:
Whatever you may believe about how people "ought to be", will be irrelevant in the face of how people actually are. I think you will not find many actual practicing psychiatrists who are of the opinion that trans people should be forced, cajoled, brainwashed, pressured, shamed, or what have you, into acting against their deep feelings that they are a different sex than they appear to be.
Note that OP is talking about a "middle school aged child", where peer pressure is at its highest, thus the concept of "transtrending"

Puberty suppression is one of the less extreme ways to deal with dysphoria (particularly in genetic females where late onset puberty has fewer long-term consequences than in males). Not that drugging young teens is always appropriate, but better to delay the onset of physical changes until the child is a little older and can make a more informed decision, postponing hormone-triggered reshaping which become vastly more difficult to "override" after puberty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living