Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 12:01 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I posted this in the nature forum as well.

So the other day we had visitors.
I don’t like them even though they are cute.
I will have to deal with them.
Not thinking about immediately shooting or killing them.
They are brazen though.
I think I will ask the fish and game guys for their advice.

My daughter has to walk a good 150 yards in the dark to takeout the ya bags and check the mail.
So that kinda concerns me as well as the safety of our pets.
Boy, I've been there, living fairly remotely in the desert with coyotes all around. My daughter had to walk to the end of our dirt road in the early morning when it was still dark in order to catch the school bus.

We fashioned her a string of cans loosely enough to clang together when shaken and they made such a racket the coyotes would always flee from her immediately.
She simply left the cans at the bus stop until the bus drop her back off in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 01:32 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,131,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
We fashioned her a string of cans loosely enough to clang together when shaken and they made such a racket the coyotes would always flee from her immediately.
She simply left the cans at the bus stop until the bus drop her back off in the afternoon.

Cle-vah!

(The only time I would ever shoot one would be if it was actually coming after one of us or a pet)

An interesting aside - I guess they came up with the name Wiley Coyote for a reason. About 3 yrs ago or so my bro-in-law was outside working in his garden and their Golden was out there with him just wandering around and doing what she does. They are at the end of a gravel road with woods and pasture around and someone with goats lives behind the woods. Good attractant for coyote! Anyway, he saw one coyote come out of the brush into the open and it acted all friendly and like it had a little limp and sauntered very slowly and sheepishly toward his dog who was watching it (he was tucked away in the garden apparently unseen and about 1/2 an acre away). It would sidle up just a bit closer like it was trying to be friends with his dog. As his dog got curious and starting to think maybe she just found a friend she slowly headed toward the coyote a bit. As she did so, the coyote sort of inched it's way back toward the brush/woods. My bro in law watched (he was armed) and being a hardened country boy - watched with a bit of amusement. When his dog got a certain distance from the brush/woods, all of a sudden about 4 more coyotes came running out and they were all after her. He said he didn't know she could run that fast! She tore back toward the house and that's when he stepped out from behind the corn and started yelling and shot the handgun toward them and they all took off back into the woods.
Very cunning creatures they are.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:32 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:

They are brazen though.

My daughter has to walk a good 150 yards in the dark to takeout the ya bags and check the mail.
I wouldn't shoot them for just being there. If they become aggressive toward your or your family, however, that's a different story.

Very nice looking house from what I can see, by the way.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:54 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Cle-vah!

... all of a sudden about 4 more coyotes came running out and they were all after her. He said he didn't know she could run that fast! She tore back toward the house and that's when he stepped out from behind the corn and started yelling and shot the handgun toward them and they all took off back into the woods.
Very cunning creatures they are.
This is actually not uncommon. We have 'yotes around here - we hear them often when the moon is on the full side and during a full/harvest moon, the racket outside between the yotes and the LGDs (livestock guardian dogs) can be heard for miles. My own 2 dogs - both hunting breeds - are not out unless we are also, but inside when the cacaphony is going outside, our dogs gets restless. We have a safe/yote-proof enclosure for our kitties and the dogs go out there to protect them. So far, we haven't seen any yotes, but our neighbors with chickens and goats see them often and lose chickens and guineas all the time. We are surrounded with woods and the hunters are only out during daytime. The turkeys and deer come into our yard to escape the hunters and the yotes. And they are welcome to our safe haven - sometimes staying overnight as we discover where they have lain.

Yotes are a problem around here and considered a nuisance.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:19 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,659 times
Quote:

They are brazen though.

So, your kitty was checking him out of the window...

Old 10-28-2020, 12:33 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
I like the coyotes. We hear them nearly every night; they make me think of cowboys headed into town on payday.

We're on the outskirts of Tucson, with lots of open land around. No pets.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:11 AM

543 posts, read 703,485 times
I also like to hear them but if they become a nuisance, nothing baits them better than deer guts.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:49 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I wouldn't shoot them for just being there. If they become aggressive toward your or your family, however, that's a different story.

Very nice looking house from what I can see, by the way.
If they're there, they will kill any pets they can get to. Small children need to be protected, as well. Not to mention they eat dear fawns and other small animals.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:28 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,894 times
I ate lunch sitting next to a coyote on the Ute reservation at 4 corners (states meet) many years ago. I had no idea that coyotes could be dangerous as my very limited understanding (being from Mi where they are rare to see, young, and alone at the time) was that coyotes were afraid of humans.
So the coyote was taking a nap in the sunshine next to a picnic table. I was alone and decided it was time to eat my picnic lunch, so I sat down at the picnic table and ate my sandwich.
He/she lifted their head for a minute watching me then went right back to their nap.
I imagine it was tamed by the Utes.

I believe coyotes are a natural part of the environment, beautiful, and part of nature and that it is US who have bred too much and taken up too much of the landscape.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:52 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,939,578 times
We have a lake house in rural north Georgia. Right across the street is nothing but dense forest. Been hearing coyotes a lot lately and heard them this past weekend when I had the windows open while sleeping. Hard to tell how far away they were but you could hear them and it woke our dog up who started barking like crazy. I won't lie, it was a little spooky! Obviously we were safe inside and were even upstairs but it did get the mind wondering. Also heard something disturbing all the leaves but not sure if that was just a deer or something else.

Whenever we take our dog out, she's always on a leash, we always have a bright flashlight in hand, and I make sure to make as much noise as possible (short of just mindlessly yelling nonstop for no reason, don't need the neighbors to think I'm crazy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living