Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 07:00 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the nature forum as well.

So the other day we had visitors.
I don’t like them even though they are cute.
I will have to deal with them.
Not thinking about immediately shooting or killing them.
They are brazen though.
I think I will ask the fish and game guys for their advice.

My daughter has to walk a good 150 yards in the dark to takeout the ya bags and check the mail.
So that kinda concerns me as well as the safety of our pets.
Attached Thumbnails
Coyotes at our place-bc9f005f-725f-44e2-a5ad-c6ef6f9f077c.jpeg   Coyotes at our place-43208702-65a3-4016-ba3c-56306ae5f332.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 07:51 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,131,116 times
I had them around a lot before I moved recently. Often I would stand at my kitchen window and drink my coffee while eyeballing a coyote on other side of the glass, lol. Make one move and they'd take off. Generally, they are very skittish with humans. Pets on the other hand... be careful. We never lost a pet to them but I know a lot that have. Usually smaller pets. Our house only had about a 20 yard swath of yard clear to the woodline (dozens of acres of woods) surrounding the house and we could often see several of them in the trees when they were around. One move from one of us though, and they were gone.
We could usually hear them calling and howling in packs at night and that was our cue to make sure we kept the dogs in. We often had to make some walks thru the woods and around the house (long way to the end of the driveway) and never ever had a problem or ran into one at those times. Sometimes we were armed and sometimes not.
So, I guess I'm saying... your daughter would most likely be fine (never say never). Your pets should be fine but that is more unpredictable (the larger your pets the less likely any trouble would be).

Old 10-26-2020, 07:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
We have coyotes here too, I used to see them 2-3 times a week when I left for work at 5am. We also have raccoons, black bears, and of course, deer. We are not all that rural, either, a suburban city of 60,000 but still with some woods around. I once called fish & game when I saw a coyote go into the local elementary school yard, and they said not to worry, they are afraid of humans. Our city ordinance makes it illegal to discharge any kind of firearm within the city limits, and any kind of poison could affect pets or other wildlife. My only suggestion, if you are worried about it, is to arm your daughter with bear spray.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:15 PM

635 posts, read 784,864 times
Default coyotes

Do you have something outside that attracts them? Food? water?
If you're in southern AZ those coyotes will leave because they have human cargo to deliver.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:26 PM

We have been there for a couple years part time and my Daughter full time.
It is was the first we have seen them but I go to bed early.
We don’t keep any food or water outside.
The cat is an indoor cat because we have big birds here.

They don’t seem to be a problem so I’m going to be somewhat cool with them.
I mean I will yell scat or just try to make them feel unwelcome and provide no food source for them.

We don’t have any chickens up there yet so they really are not harming us.
I darn sure am not going to kill them for visiting.
I know people that shoot them but that ain’t me.

We will however contact the fish and game people to see if they are currently passing around rabies or whatever and ask for their advice.

It would be nice if they would come and trap them but I think they probably have more important things to do.

So that said I do think they are beautiful and if we have them as peaceful guests every now and then I think we can get along as long as they don’t cross the line.

I did send some pics to the neighbors because they have small dogs.

Thanks.
Andy.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:33 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
They were afraid of my four Scottish Deerhounds because the hounds could outrun them. Other than that, they have no fear of dogs. Coyotes attacked my neighbor's Rottweiler, so it doesn't matter how big the dog is.

You can probably get the state trapper to come out and kill them. Shoot them yourself if you have a safe backstopped place to shoot at them.

Other than that, never leave out anything they would consider to be food, keep your pets indoors all the time, and put up with them.

Unless your daughter is small, she probably isn't in any danger from them. If she is small, get her a revolver and teach her how to shoot it. She can carry that when she goes out to take the trash... or you leave her inside and you take the trash out.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:52 PM

My daughter actually shoots and collects pistols.
She is not small so that is good.

There are only a few safe shooting zones at the house so we don’t shoot there.

Old 10-26-2020, 05:43 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,668,141 times
The cat might be in trouble if it got outside. I remember reading an article not too long ago where they did a study on what coyotes in suburban/urban areas ate. They found out their diet was 30% cat.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:18 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Shoot them. Or, they WILL become a plague.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
The cat might be in trouble if it got outside. I remember reading an article not too long ago where they did a study on what coyotes in suburban/urban areas ate. They found out their diet was 30% cat.
That is true here, too, lots of cats go missing thanks to the coyotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living