Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 08:24 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I don’t know..

I just think you can be smarter than this if you try just a bit harder.

We have always had bad deer probably here.

It is like playing chess.

Did you check all of your boxes and see what will happen when things are done?

You just might find an easy and environmentally friendly solution to this.

Good luck.

Andy.
Thanks, but nothing environmentally unfriendly about killing deer, is there? Not in the big picture. It's actually good for the environment to cull out over-populated deer herds, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 08:39 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
As far as just the garden plants, a friend of mine sprinkled alum on all the foilage. That keeps the deer, rabbits, and all the other critters away after they take that first bite

Old 11-10-2020, 06:40 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Typical human thought process.
We are better and more important than any other life form.
I have no issue with people killing animals for food, or in self defense, but wanting to murder something because it ate your broccoli or hydrangeas is stupid.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:02 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Thanks, but nothing environmentally unfriendly about killing deer, is there? Not in the big picture. It's actually good for the environment to cull out over-populated deer herds, right?
Would you rather torture them to death instead of outright killing them: "including a load of birdshot to the butt"? Birdshot can blind and cause infections, it all depends on the distance away from the target. If you are allowed to kill them, then just kill them as painlessly as possible.

One question that has not been asked is what is your neighbor growing that the deer want to eat? There are some shrubs you can purchase that are deer resistant. If you neighbor wants to grow roses, green beans and corn they don't have a prayer. Nature abhors a vacuum, provide food and some will always knock on your door. I always recommend the English Boxwood (with the shinny, rounded leaves) or the Japanese Andromeda to replace shrubs killed off by the deer.

Since the deer are always there, the neighbor's shrubs are pretty much toast and anything they grew in the garden was already shared with the wildlife. At some point one has to know when to call it quits. Even if you can get rid of this year's pest, there is always next year and new players to the game.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:06 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Where we used to live, deer were severely overpopulous. It was like living a cartoon.

It would have taken many different changes to eventually get their numbers down.

Having lived in a rural area before and after that, my takeaway is that if wild predators do not exist in proportion to the deer numbers, some deer should be killed, but not by any ol’ jerk wanting to test his guns.

Try not to merely maim them, OK?

Old 11-11-2020, 04:27 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Just have a male you know pee around the perimeter. Do this after every rain or at least once a week. this stuff isn't rocket science. I'd say women too, but it's harder for us to get away with that type of thing out in the open.

Old 11-11-2020, 05:18 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Just have a male you know pee around the perimeter. Do this after every rain or at least once a week. this stuff isn't rocket science. I'd say women too, but it's harder for us to get away with that type of thing out in the open.
The urination trick only works, when it does, if the deer population is the right size for the area. Overpopulation pressures will get them to ignore it eventually, especially if nothing scares them.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
More fun though.....

Seriously, does it really work? I've heard of that trick for rattlesnakes, but deer?

Old 11-11-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
but not by any ol’ jerk wanting to test his guns.

Try not to merely maim them, OK?
Relax, if they get shot, they'll be dead.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:17 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
More fun though.....

Seriously, does it really work? I've heard of that trick for rattlesnakes, but deer?

It did not work for us. Neither hubby pee, wolf pee or coyote pee. The yard just stunk and I wondered if we risked attracting more coyote. Didn't work to keep the raccoons away either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living