Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 08:27 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,404 times

Advertisements

Asking for a neighbor (seriously). Poor guy has been trying for 2 months now to keep the deer out. His is the only place that doesn't have a fence on all sides, only on one, which the does jump to get to their young 'uns. The babies are well hidden in a thick copse of Juniper trees there and the Moms keep them there during the day for safety. They are eating every plant and tree on his property.

He has tried just about everything, next step is shooting them (not guns, illegal, but crossbow) but he really doesn't want to.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 08:51 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Lightbulb Have him check with local game warden about "depredation" permits for deer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
His is the only place that doesn't have a fence on all sides, only on one, which the does jump to get to their young 'uns.
So fences work, usually...

Old 11-02-2020, 10:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
So fences work, usually...
While I can see not wanting to spend several thousand for a fence, but there are less expensive ways, such as a less expensive hotwire fence, buying a dog to chase them away, or the Scarecrow.

https://www.amazon.com/COSTWAY-Scare...12729242&psc=1

Old 11-02-2020, 11:01 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Intramuscular injection of lead...will usually work. They have eaten all of my pansies within 3 days of planting.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-02-2020, 01:07 PM

189 posts, read 178,575 times
Do not know which state you are in (are you in the USA?). But here in South Carolina, if deer are doing damage to your property, plants, landscaping...you can call the Department of Natural Resources and apply for a permit to remove....yes shoot, the destructive deer.

Deer meat, Venison, is quite good. If you find yourself with too much I'm sure a local homeless shelter or friends will help you consume it.

-G

P.S. Fences do not work unless VERY tall. Deer can jump an amazing height to make a snake of your garden/landscaping

Old 11-02-2020, 01:13 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Halbach View Post
Do not know which state you are in (are you in the USA?). But here in South Carolina, if deer are doing damage to your property, plants, landscaping...you can call the Department of Natural Resources and apply for a permit to remove....yes shoot, the destructive deer.

Deer meat, Venison, is quite good. If you find yourself with too much I'm sure a local homeless shelter or friends will help you consume it.

-G

P.S. Fences do not work unless VERY tall. Deer can jump an amazing height to make a snake of your garden/landscaping
Does that permit include damage to just landscaping or is it limited to crops? Here in Maryland you can get a depredation permit for crops but not landscaping. You also have to own the farmland and not just be renting it.

I goose hunt on a farm where the owner won't let the farmer who leases the fields get a depredation permit because she doesn't want "her" deer hunted. She also won't allow us to hunt deer on it either.

Old 11-02-2020, 01:23 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,551 times
If any of you who are heck bent to shoot the deer, I hope you’re a good enough shot to kill them on the first pop.

Then redeem yourself by immediately calling someone to pick the deer up so the meat can be donated to those who aren’t fortunate enough to have meat in their freezer. Which, it goes without saying, you should already have that phone number stored in your cell phone.

Yes, that is a viable option; it’s been done in Tennessee for years.

Old 11-02-2020, 01:59 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,046,144 times
So you've advocating shooting does who have young fawns?

Old 11-02-2020, 02:13 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,008 times
I was getting deer in my garden so I put a fence up, didn't work. So I put an electrified wire around the top of the fence. Problem solved.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:43 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
So you've advocating shooting does who have young fawns?
At this point in the year the fawns are capable of fending for themselves without mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living