Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 09:14 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times

Advertisements

So is it just certain areas, like fire roads? Why not set a post in concrete at either side of the road/path, inside your property line, then string a chain across it, and hang a sign "Posted-No Trespassing" on it? As to securing it, what we do in my area is to use a number of locks - the power company's lock is chained to our lock - they have the key to theirs and we have the key to ours, and so either of us can open the gate/chain, but no one else can. (Or variants of the above.) At any rate, snowmobilers and recreational ATVers aren't likely to carry bolt cutters.

I think the hanging sign is VERY IMPORTANT so there's no risk of someone hitting it and accusing you of setting a booby trap, which are illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 10:24 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Thanks for the advice. I was debating cable vs chain for strength (while considering cost of each).
I did think of putting some pvc pipe painted yellow or neon on the cable for safety.
Assuming it is private, you could also hang a sign saying PRIVATE or NO TRESPASSING or just good ol’ KEEP OUT.

Old 11-13-2020, 02:15 PM

215 posts, read 190,398 times
We had a power line easement on some property we owned. Four wheelers were always trespassing on it and would drive up to our home. We spoke with the utility company and they agreed to reimburse us for a fence (3 strand barb wire) and a ranch gate. We gave them the receipt and some keys to the lock on the gate (they added theirs to our lock). A couple of months later we received a check for the materials.
It was about a 200 foot run.

Old 11-14-2020, 03:57 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Thanks for the advice. I was debating cable vs chain for strength (while considering cost of each).
I did think of putting some pvc pipe painted yellow or neon on the cable for safety.
Wouldn't do the PVC. Too easy to break, especially in cold weather. You'd have to keep replacing parts of it if the people riding through didn't want to let that stop them.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:15 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Wouldn't do the PVC. Too easy to break, especially in cold weather. You'd have to keep replacing parts of it if the people riding through didn't want to let that stop them.

Nah, the broken pieces will be hanging on the cable or chain that runs through the middle. It would still warn people that something is strung across the road.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:37 PM

782 posts, read 1,357,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds1 View Post
We had a power line easement on some property we owned. Four wheelers were always trespassing on it and would drive up to our home. We spoke with the utility company and they agreed to reimburse us for a fence (3 strand barb wire) and a ranch gate. We gave them the receipt and some keys to the lock on the gate (they added theirs to our lock). A couple of months later we received a check for the materials.
It was about a 200 foot run.

I also have a powerline easment running through my property; The power company has gone ahead and put up a very nice fence and gate where the nearest paved road enters onto the powerline.
This keeps vehicle traffic from entering from that location.
Unfortanately, they can still enter from surrounding woods then drive onto my firebreaks.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:50 PM

782 posts, read 1,357,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Thanks
I can try the flagging tape recommended by an previous post.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:05 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
I just dropped a log across it every 50 feet or so. It slowed them down so much they went elsewhere.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:17 AM

978 posts, read 675,756 times
Invest in trail cameras for the firebreaks. Get the plate number and let the authorities handle them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living