Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 05:37 AM

782 posts, read 1,356,600 times

Advertisements

Having a hard time finding any photos or references on how to rig cable and lock system going through wooden posts.
I need to set up barricades to keep vehicles from entering the firebreaks on my property.
Anyone here have describe the rigging for this or know of a good forum that I can seek advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 06:57 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
This is an ad for cable corral fence supplies. Perhaps if you contact them they can give you some pointers.

https://www.hilmarlumber.com/Cable-F...hoCvtgQAvD_BwE

Old 11-10-2020, 07:12 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Here is another link. I didn’t read it all the way through, but it looked like it related to your question.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...eople-out.html

Old 11-10-2020, 10:14 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Two basic thoughts:

a) Locks only keep honest people out.

2)K.I.S.S.

Sink two 6x6 posts. Bolt chain to one side and use padlock to attach it to an eye bolted to the other side.

Cable is cheaper than chain, but by the time you screw around making loops with appropriate hardware, it's more trouble and just as expensive.

It will serve as a suggestion, not an actual barrier to anyone contemplating entry. If they want in bad enough, they'll get in no matter how much you spend. Cf- The Border Wall.

Old 11-10-2020, 04:36 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
A word of advise. If you put one of these up, you'd better tie some hi-viz strips on it so people who may try to ride through there, not knowing the cable it there, can be made aware of it. Several years ago somebody put a cable up for the same reason you are. Some people rode 4 wheelers through there, unaware, and one man was decapitated by the cable. Landowner almost went to prison over that.

Old 11-11-2020, 12:01 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
A word of advise. If you put one of these up, you'd better tie some hi-viz strips on it so people who may try to ride through there, not knowing the cable it there, can be made aware of it. Several years ago somebody put a cable up for the same reason you are. Some people rode 4 wheelers through there, unaware, and one man was decapitated by the cable. Landowner almost went to prison over that.
This is the Gospel-No-Kidding Truth, I’m afraid.

Years ago, I worked with woman whose husband was decapitated in the same manner, while snowmobiling. I never did know how that ended up, regarding lawyers or no lawyers but it is something to give serious consideration of.

Old 11-11-2020, 12:20 AM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Something like this?
You can even make automatic cable gate:
https://www.northshorecommercialdoor...ock-fm245.html

Last edited by elnina; 11-11-2020 at 12:30 AM..

Old 11-11-2020, 07:22 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
How about an ordinary gate? Or a chain between two posts?

Old 11-11-2020, 10:59 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
So this really happens!

I read a novel written decades ago, in which a trespassing snowmobiler shot through wire—I think it was either electric wire or even barbed wire in that case—and got decapitated. He drove through so fast that the body parts were cauterized from friction. At the time, I found it hard to believe. However, later on I slid down an Alpine Slide runway (from running the sled too fast around the curves) and my skin wound got immediately sealed a dark red from cauterization. Now I believe these stories.

Wow.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:42 AM

782 posts, read 1,356,600 times
Thanks for the advice. I was debating cable vs chain for strength (while considering cost of each).
I did think of putting some pvc pipe painted yellow or neon on the cable for safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living