Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 08:21 AM

728 posts, read 303,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Dresses, skirts, high heels

No jewellery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Rural SW Washington here. Rural but not poor either!

Washington has a reputation for not dressing up ever. That there is no restaurant anywhere even in Seattle that you couldn't get in and get a table wearing plaid flannel. Even the most expensive places.

One of my favorite stories about differences in cultures between east-coast and west-coast people was when I was working for a nonprofit based out of Seattle, where we would have a national conference every year. The attendees were mid level social work professionals who worked with the homeless... or ran programs that did.... so not particularly snobby types, right? Well, we spent the day wearing office-casual kinds of clothes at the conference, and then a group of us met for a drink at the hotel where they were staying. After having a couple drinks, we started talking about going out to a popular local place for dinner, and the ladies from Detroit and Chicago and Washington DC et al all wondered what they should go change into for dinner. We locals looked at them oddly because we obviously weren't going home to change first (I lived an hour away), we were planning to go as-is. They simply wouldn't HEAR of that! They needed to dress for dinner. And they did! They went up to their rooms and came down dressed to the nines, in pretty evening dresses... and we went in flannels, and the whole group of us went out and I bet few of the locals even noticed the difference within the group. We're just not that into formalities here.

I wear dresses most every day, whether working or home... but they're casual dresses, that I can wear with sneakers or sandals or boots, depending on the weather. If your rural folk are like our rural folk, I'd bet you could wear pretty much whatever you want, and still fit in. Rural people don't necessarily dress up to go out, but dressed up people will be out and about pretty much anywhere. People just don't pay attention either way... No one will laugh and point.

Laid back country folks don't wear diamonds then?

Old 04-27-2021, 03:03 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
No jewellery?
For women yes lots of jewelry. Especially all of that metalic bracelets, nails etc. Lots of Make-up, lipstick, highlighted hair (ceramic coating) to add that show room shine.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
For women yes lots of jewelry. Especially all of that metalic bracelets, nails etc. Lots of Make-up, lipstick, highlighted hair (ceramic coating) to add that show room shine.

Wow, that's very Dolly Parton.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Wow, that's very Dolly Parton.
yes or some gal in a Nevada cathouse.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:45 PM

60 posts, read 41,765 times
By dressing up, I assume you mean wearing pants..................Only on special occasions.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyrebel View Post
By dressing up, I assume you mean wearing pants..................Only on special occasions.
spandex or latex?

Old 04-27-2021, 04:57 PM

60 posts, read 41,765 times
Bibs when I have to. 100% cotton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living