Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 12:14 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,393,204 times

Advertisements

I lived and worked in a small resort town on a lake. Well over half the residents were from elsewhere originally.
Someone once asked the mayor what the local 'cash crop' was and he immediately replied "newcomers".

The point being, growing and changing isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 02:17 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Small towns in NH are experiencing a housing boom, with existing homes selling at a premium over asking price and locals up in arms over developers converting old farms into 20-40 home subdivisions. No longer is this just happening with towns within "commutable distance" of "a large city".

With the growth in work-from-home and the advent of Starlink low-latency internet, many workers are realizing they can do their job from anywhere, so why not do it from a state with no income or sales tax?
Ditto for our tourist- and agriculture-oriented county. Many wealthy people own summer homes here, and many people are realizing what you said above (except there are very few subdivisions here, just large lots and a few condominium developments). However, real estate is going "nuts" here, judging my realtor newsletters and the number of homes for sale.

I think it depends on how beautiful an area is and, of course, how much it has to offer. I can't imagine this happening in the plains of North Dakota, for example. (No offense to North Dakota!)

Old 04-02-2021, 05:13 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
In theory that is true, however it seems many of these people then want to turn their new oasis into "where are my sidewalks, street lights, trash pickup and why oh why do I have to drive 2 full miles for coffee and it's not even Starbucks WAH!!"

You think its bad in all the new oasis!!!

You can't buy a Starbucks coffee in Starbuck!!! Here is an article I wrote on getting a Starbucks coffee in Starbuck!!!

April 1st, 2010 I wrote this article on Starbucks Corporation and Starbucks, WA....................

Starbucks Loses Trademark Case

(Yakima) Starbuck Corporation has been very aggressive about trademark infringement suing many small business owners throughout the world. Today it found itself on the losing end of a trademark lawsuit.

In a stunning decision in the eastern Washington District Federal court Senior District Judge Quackenbush ruled that the company formerly known as Starbucks must stop using the name Starbucks as it infringes on the community of Starbuck, Washington. In a statement the mayor of Starbuck, Olivia Newton stated that they have tried for years to get the large corporation to change their name. "We are a community of wheat farmers, cowboys and retired folks that spend their time fishing. When the corporation formerly known as Starbucks started using our name we started having all these yuppie people showing up looking for the FIRST Starbucks coffee bar, asking about wi-fi and generally making a nuisance of themselves. We want our community back. We are sorry it came to a lawsuit, but the corporation formerly known as Startbucks just refused to listen".

The corporation formerly known as Starbucks stated that their name came from the novel Moby Dick and was not picked from a Washington State Highway Map. Judge Quackenbush did not accept that argument and stated that the town of Starbuck has been harmed by the corporation formerly known as Starbucks using their name. He gave the corporation formerly known as Starbucks one year to change their name or face contempt of court.

In related news, the Board of Directors for the corporation formerly known as Starbucks held a closed door meeting in Port Townsend today. Ms. Adna a waitress said "They were pretty glum coming into the meeting this morning. However, as they left this afternoon they were high fiving and laughing. When I went to clean up the meeting room there were Washington State Highway maps everywhere and on every map the town of
Humptulips was circled".

There is no expresso in Starbuck. The local cafe does serve coffee.....black.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:33 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,980,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
You think its bad in all the new oasis!!!

You can't buy a Starbucks coffee in Starbuck!!! Here is an article I wrote on getting a Starbucks coffee in Starbuck!!!

<snip>

There is no expresso in Starbuck. The local cafe does serve coffee.....black.

You know something? I don't even like coffee!!!

But I do like little diners etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living