Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 04:23 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times

Advertisements

I guess I was backwards on my temperature theory.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...iKcq5WQtDmyfCO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 04:57 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I guess I was backwards on my temperature theory.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...iKcq5WQtDmyfCO

Let us know if it works.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:42 PM

I plan on keeping hens up here next year.
One thing I wanna do is to clicker train them to come in at night using my ships bell I have hanging on a wall.
Ring the bell, feed them meal worms and treats then close their door so the night time critters don’t slaughter them.
I will have an incubator station in our shop so I will post up some results in a year or so .

Old 10-07-2021, 08:18 AM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
I'm sure that will work well for you, Andy..It's such a good idea that I bet if you just think about using a clicker at dusk, the hens will come in. They have UHF and can read your mind.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:27 AM

The bell may have some benefit if you want to put them in early sometimes… But I think you’ll find they naturally cone in to roost at dusk, all on their own :-) It’s instinct.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:49 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The bell may have some benefit if you want to put them in early sometimes… But I think you’ll find they naturally cone in to roost at dusk, all on their own :-) It’s instinct.
Many years ago, a poultry truck had crashed at the bottom of the hill. Sometime after that, mom noticed that something was eating her tomatoes. It turned out that 3 live chickens from the crash were living at her house. She bought chicken feed, and they became half tame. My parents eventually captured them and took them to a farmer who had chickens. We were told that the first night at the farmer, our chickens roosted in the trees, but after that they roosted in the coop with the rest of the chickens.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:38 PM

They do sort of need to be finessed into an existing flock.
The last time I just dumped some new hens in and it could have gone better.
I heard that putting them in the middle of the night works well but I haven’t tried that yet.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:42 PM

They really are kindof awful to each other until they work out a new pecking order.

Often helps to give them a week or several days anyway of being right to each other.

We like to put them together in the morning, with lots of treats scattered over a wide area in the yard to keep them busy.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:57 PM

I have a small coop I keep next door to the larger one and they can see each other.
Even after 3-4 days they have to work it out.
Never did the treat thing.
I’m sure that helps.
I can’t wait to be able to free range my hens.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:06 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Many years ago, a poultry truck had crashed at the bottom of the hill. Sometime after that, mom noticed that something was eating her tomatoes. It turned out that 3 live chickens from the crash were living at her house. She bought chicken feed, and they became half tame. My parents eventually captured them and took them to a farmer who had chickens. We were told that the first night at the farmer, our chickens roosted in the trees, but after that they roosted in the coop with the rest of the chickens.
All my chickens are from Florida except a couple of local girls who turned out to be roosters and a little hen I bought off Craig’s list from a lady who lived down the road. I bought her to replace a blue egg layer who was killed by a hawk. This little hen refused to come in the coop at night, she flew up in the tree above the coop and roosted there. She managed to escape nearly everyday and my would spouse come inside and say, you're favorite hen is out. This went on for weeks until she finally settled in. She is now docile and lays pretty blue eggs, but it’s much easier to raise baby chicks than go through all that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living