Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 09:13 AM

181 posts, read 159,783 times

Advertisements

Agree with @zenith32. Did some reading up a while back when debating someone about speed humps to slow people down. I was against them, they're a huge headache if you actually live in the neighborhood where they are installed. Anyway, different studies showed that the most effective way to slow people down is by changing the landscape. It's been a while so I'd have to look the reference up again. However, the gist of it was people tend to slow down when lanes become narrower, or sight is slightly limited via trees or bushes. In other words, someone is less likely to drive fast through clearly marked divided lane lined with trees/bushes, than a wide open unmarked lane (or one with wide shoulders) with long sight distances.

I'm not sure what you're legally able to do, but you may be better off investing on a beautification project that changes the landscape to encourage slower driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 09:37 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
slowing down traffic in rural areas
I assumed this thread was going to be about rural, but instead you want to talk about in town.

If the town's budget is too small to allow them to hire Law Enforcement, then your options are limited.

Signs and rumble strips, then speed bumps.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:40 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Try this link:

https://www.ite.org/technical-resour...nt-for-safety/

you may find some ideas there

Old 06-23-2021, 10:19 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
On rural roads, an effective (and cheap!) way to slow down drivers is to leave the roads narrow and bumpy. So-called road improvements make people drive faster, regardless what the speed limit signs say.

In towns or areas of shops or many houses, adding landscaped medians and eliminating any more than two lanes (one in each direction) also has the effect of making the road feel like it should be driven more slowly. Actual, consistent ticketing helps, too.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:22 AM

765 posts, read 621,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
On rural roads, an effective (and cheap!) way to slow down drivers is to leave the roads narrow and bumpy. So-called road improvements make people drive faster, regardless what the speed limit signs say.

In towns or areas of shops or many houses, adding landscaped medians and eliminating any more than two lanes (one in each direction) also has the effect of making the road feel like it should be driven more slowly. Actual, consistent ticketing helps, too.
While neglecting road maintenance may slow some cars, people who want to speed will probably speed anyway and it's a pain in the butt for everyone else, as well.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:28 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
One house that I pass by regularly has a small sign that says "Please Drive Like Your Kids Lived Here."

One thing to be aware of, since you live in Vermont and the road is a state road - signage of any kind is frowned upon, and can even be illegal. It started with the anti-billboard law and went from there.

I'll tell you what immediately came to mind though

Spoiler
unrepaired potholes

Old 06-23-2021, 11:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
Agree with @zenith32. Did some reading up a while back when debating someone about speed humps to slow people down. I was against them, they're a huge headache if you actually live in the neighborhood where they are installed. Anyway, different studies showed that the most effective way to slow people down is by changing the landscape. It's been a while so I'd have to look the reference up again. However, the gist of it was people tend to slow down when lanes become narrower, or sight is slightly limited via trees or bushes. In other words, someone is less likely to drive fast through clearly marked divided lane lined with trees/bushes, than a wide open unmarked lane (or one with wide shoulders) with long sight distances.

I'm not sure what you're legally able to do, but you may be better off investing on a beautification project that changes the landscape to encourage slower driving.
I don't know about speed bum/humps. We have five of them on a windy hill nearby, and I remember one time I had the grandkids in the car they enjoyed them and both were yelling "faster!" Since then I do enjoy going over them in my truck, but don't slow down (it's 25 there, I stay at 25).

Old 06-23-2021, 02:22 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
A small town shouldn't have that much traffic which is one of the reasons people move there. If that's the case then speed bumps and law enforcement presence using speed measuring equipment from laser to aircraft is warranted.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:33 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
One very small town I lived in only had soft surface roads when I arrived. Traffic speed was generally low. 14 years later state DOT got funding to pave the one main arterial. The immediate result was a significant increase in traffic speed, fender benders, and other accidents. The more frequently the town graded the soft surface roads the faster people drove on them. Which damaged the roads, requiring even more repair. If they didn't grade them so often traffic slowed down which resulted in less frequent repair. Sure, more people whined about potholes but it was actually self-limiting in terms of speed. There's an added bonus of increased resident camaraderie commiserating about the roads.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-23-2021 at 04:44 PM..

Old 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our city installed traffic calming circles, sort of like roundabouts but smaller.

Then we also have solar powered radar signs that warn when you are speeding. These are both fairly inexpensive one-time investments with minimal maintenance costs.
Thanks Hemlock....I'm not sure I've ever seen that particular speed limit sign with the 'your speed' above it. That could definitely work. Not sure if the circle would work but this is going on my list, too.
Thank you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living