Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 08:24 AM

782 posts, read 1,356,886 times

Advertisements

Someone is selling used round fence post for $5 ea; they are 5" diameter by 6 ft tall

Is 6 ft long enough for using to make corner posts and H braces for a woven wire fence.

I will be using them to replace/repair an old poor condition fence on 2 acre area of the property I bought.

No animals will be kept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 09:28 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Georgia has a lot of clay in the soil so it's a different consistency from the alluvial schist very sandy soil I have in Montana.
The greater density of clay has a lot more hold than what I have. That said, I plant my strongback stretch point posts at least 3 feet deep and reinforce with stamped rock in the pothole. With your moisture, you may consider pouring concrete in the hole to help alleviate rot. Even treated posts rot in damp soil o a little quickcrete may save you replacing your set every few years.

Personally, I would never set a stretch point strongback set at less than 3 feet deep, which requires at least an 8 foot post. I prefer at least a 6 inch post for sets, but I have to contend with the weight of drifted snow covering the fence, so I need a lot of strength you may not need in your sets.
I do have to hold animals, so I need a strong fence. If you're just marking a boundary, you could get by with a lot less than what I need.

Good luck.

Old 12-08-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Georgia has a lot of clay in the soil so it's a different consistency from the alluvial schist very sandy soil I have in Montana.
The greater density of clay has a lot more hold than what I have. That said, I plant my strongback stretch point posts at least 3 feet deep and reinforce with stamped rock in the pothole. With your moisture, you may consider pouring concrete in the hole to help alleviate rot. Even treated posts rot in damp soil o a little quickcrete may save you replacing your set every few years.

Personally, I would never set a stretch point strongback set at less than 3 feet deep, which requires at least an 8 foot post. I prefer at least a 6 inch post for sets, but I have to contend with the weight of drifted snow covering the fence, so I need a lot of strength you may not need in your sets.
I do have to hold animals, so I need a strong fence. If you're just marking a boundary, you could get by with a lot less than what I need.

Good luck.
Originally, the local electric company had replaced some wood power poles and pulled and left at least 7 of them for me to have.
Since it took me about 3 weeks to get back to my property with my truck, trailer and 4 wheeler they have 'vanished' without a trace. Those were going to be my corner posts.

Thanks for the suggestions you gave me.

Old 12-08-2021, 01:53 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Yes, we normally put two feet in the ground which would give you four feet out of the ground. Most common woven wire field fence is four feet.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:13 AM

thanks Diana
this is what I will do

Old 01-01-2022, 06:49 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
A 4' woven wire fence alone will do little to keep critters in or out. What is the purpose of the fence ?

https://blog.redbrand.com/what-to-co...-farm-fencing/

Old 01-03-2022, 06:23 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I hope you check them out and make sure they aren't in the same shape or worse as the ones you're replacing.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:26 AM

1,085 posts, read 693,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

Good luck.
I’d have to agree here. I just set a stretch this past summer (TX Clay soil) we augered down a solid 3’ with quickcrete for the corners as we were stretching hog wire across about a 90’ span.

Really depends on the use and what you’re hanging on it, but I’d rather have to top an 8’ post than have only 2’ of footing and have to do it again. I hate setting fences.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:45 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
I’d have to agree here. I just set a stretch this past summer (TX Clay soil) we augered down a solid 3’ with quickcrete for the corners as we were stretching hog wire across about a 90’ span.

Really depends on the use and what you’re hanging on it, but I’d rather have to top an 8’ post than have only 2’ of footing and have to do it again. I hate setting fences.
Amen to this ^^^^ That’s what they make chainsaws for - cut the tops off, if needed.

Old 01-05-2022, 07:04 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
My DH used old telephone poles at the corners of our fences. 40 years later, they are still sturdy. He got the poles free from the telephone company and cut them to the size he wanted. A few miles down the road a neighbor used them with panels of hog wire for a fence for his horses. I don't know if you can still get the poles for free. It used to be one could get old railroad ties for free, too. Probably nothing is free anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living