Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 02:03 PM

50 posts, read 37,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The website of your library should have a contact number/email or other info about the library. Start there.

I don't think this will work, not interested in complaining to someone to review the complaint against... themselves

Last edited by castlelake; 01-14-2022 at 02:13 PM..

Old 01-14-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our county library system has a 7 member Board of Trustees, and their meetings provide the opportunity for the public to present their comments.

I see, thanks. The library gets funds from the county, and someone decides how they're funded, it's probably the board of commissioners. The Board of Trustees, I guess defines, library policies and such, but they got to be accountable before taxpayers, and I'm not sure if there's direct connection here. It seems like this is dependent on the county and there a few systems out there, I found no evidence of Board of Trustees so far. I'm getting the lawyer involved, so they should find out who exactly should be contacted but senior county executive branch official got a notice sent for starters.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Library is usually managed by a board of directors, library council or other local authority.
A librarian is designated as the library director or library manager. In small municipalities, city or county government may serve as the library board and there may be only one librarian involved in the management and direction of the library.
Associations of library and information professionals, such as the American Library Association (ALA) and the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP) help establish norms and standard procedures, secure funding, advocate at the state or national level and certify library schools or information schools.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_library

What's your concerns, OP?

Ok, this makes sense.
This is not a large town and I don't think this library has a separate board, it looks more like what you said about the county government acting as its board. (the librarian is not the one I'm interested in contacting). I guess this structure is very different depending on the county and the state.

I'm talking about some legal aspects here, it more has to do with federal and state law than with library associations guidelines and norms. I got county executive branch leadership contacted, I'm sure they can forward the correspondence to the right point of contact, and the rest will be taken care of by the lawyer, as needed.
Aside from taking care of legal matters it's just interesting to find out more about governance over library and spending of the funds. (I think the libraries are largely doomed given digital transformation and Amazon, though, unless they're transformed into some kind of community centers, kids events places, etc)

Old 01-14-2022, 06:21 PM

269 posts, read 329,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlelake View Post
Library stuff, all on taxpayers' buck, engages in some behaviors that violate the rights of said taxpayers.
What behaviors? What rights? The answers to these questions might determine who it is you should contact.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:46 PM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Ok, this makes sense.
This is not a large town and I don't think this library has a separate board, it looks more like what you said about the county government acting as its board. (the librarian is not the one I'm interested in contacting). I guess this structure is very different depending on the county and the state.

I'm talking about some legal aspects here, it more has to do with federal and state law than with library associations guidelines and norms. I got county executive branch leadership contacted, I'm sure they can forward the correspondence to the right point of contact, and the rest will be taken care of by the lawyer, as needed.
Aside from taking care of legal matters it's just interesting to find out more about governance over library and spending of the funds. (I think the libraries are largely doomed given digital transformation and Amazon, though, unless they're transformed into some kind of community centers, kids events places, etc)
I think libraries besides taxpayers money get also
grants and private donations.

Here you might find additional info that could help your case:

Library Bill Of Rights
https://www.ala.org/advocacy/sites/a...pretations.pdf

Institutional Arrangements for Public Library Funding and Spending
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...75074018785449

https://eduscapes.com/collection/9.htm

https://www.webjunction.org/document...ing-myths.html

Why Do We Think Library Services are Free? » Public Libraries Online

Good luck!

Last edited by elnina; 01-14-2022 at 10:00 PM..

Old 01-15-2022, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 14,535 times
Quote:
I don't think this will work, not interested in complaining to someone to review the complaint against... themselves

Your county should have a Board of Supervisors (or County Commission or something similarly named); start there.

Old 01-15-2022, 03:14 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
OP, you still haven’t divulged all these behaviors that are violating taxpayers’ rights.

Old 01-15-2022, 03:38 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
OP, you still haven’t divulged all these behaviors that are violating taxpayers’ rights.
It's probably because he doesn't like a book the librarian selected.

Many people don't realize that librarians are not charged with performing censorship in book selection.

In fact, they take an oath against it.

Many criteria go into book selection including patron requests.

Code of Ethics
As members of the American Library Association, we recognize the importance of codifying and making known to the profession and to the general public the ethical principles that guide the work of librarians, other professionals providing information services, library trustees and library staffs.

Ethical dilemmas occur when values are in conflict. The American Library Association Code of Ethics states the values to which we are committed, and embodies the ethical responsibilities of the profession in this changing information environment.

We significantly influence or control the selection, organization, preservation, and dissemination of information. In a political system grounded in an informed citizenry, we are members of a profession explicitly committed to intellectual freedom and the freedom of access to information. We have a special obligation to ensure the free flow of information and ideas to present and future generations.

The principles of this Code are expressed in broad statements to guide ethical decision making. These statements provide a framework; they cannot and do not dictate conduct to cover particular situations.

We provide the highest level of service to all library users through appropriate and usefully organized resources; equitable service policies; equitable access; and accurate, unbiased, and courteous responses to all requests.
We uphold the principles of intellectual freedom and resist all efforts to censor library resources.
We protect each library user's right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to information sought or received and resources consulted, borrowed, acquired or transmitted.
We respect intellectual property rights and advocate balance between the interests of information users and rights holders.
We treat co-workers and other colleagues with respect, fairness, and good faith, and advocate conditions of employment that safeguard the rights and welfare of all employees of our institutions.
We do not advance private interests at the expense of library users, colleagues, or our employing institutions.
We distinguish between our personal convictions and professional duties and do not allow our personal beliefs to interfere with fair representation of the aims of our institutions or the provision of access to their information resources.
We strive for excellence in the profession by maintaining and enhancing our own knowledge and skills, by encouraging the professional development of co-workers, and by fostering the aspirations of potential members of the profession.
We affirm the inherent dignity and rights of every person. We work to recognize and dismantle systemic and individual biases; to confront inequity and oppression; to enhance diversity and inclusion; and to advance racial and social justice in our libraries, communities, profession, and associations through awareness, advocacy, education, collaboration, services, and allocation of resources and spaces.
Adopted at the 1939 Midwinter Meeting by the ALA Council; amended June 30, 1981; June 28, 1995; January 22, 2008; and June 29, 2021.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:02 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I'm guessing it might have something to do with masks or vaccination protocols, judging from some of the OP's recent posts in other forums.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:22 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Not a general discussion of libraries and their problems. I believe the OP has received several answers to their question and is not likely to come back and elaborate on their complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living