Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 05:51 PM

6,025 posts, read 3,739,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blank View Post
The fences came with the purchase of the Ranch . I don't believe I need to give anyone any reason for what I do with MY gate on MY land, but if you must know, it's because I will be riding my motorcycle through there from time to time. There's a cliff that runs along my property and it's only ride-able in certain sections. It's a huge PITA to get off the bike, open the gate, push my 300lbs moto through the gate and then close the gate every time I pass through there.

And yes, I will have live stock on my property from time to time (grazing lease with a local rancher). When I'm riding, the gate needs to be left open and when the cattle are there grazing, I'm assuming my rancher would like it closed.
Maybe you should "ride" the bike through the open gate instead of pushing it. It's a lot easier.

Here's a suggestion. Why not put an electric gate opener on the gate and give your neighbor one of the remotes? That way, when you pull up to the gate on your bike, you could push a button and the gate opens for you. Then you could close it just as easily when you get on the other side.

Your neighbor could do the same thing. Problem solved for a few hundred dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 09:37 PM

172 posts, read 117,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Maybe you should "ride" the bike through the open gate instead of pushing it. It's a lot easier.

Here's a suggestion. Why not put an electric gate opener on the gate and give your neighbor one of the remotes? That way, when you pull up to the gate on your bike, you could push a button and the gate opens for you. Then you could close it just as easily when you get on the other side.

Your neighbor could do the same thing. Problem solved for a few hundred dollars.

It's not a lot easier to "ride" through. Try strapping 10lbs weights to your ankles and throwing your leg over a 37" high obstacle. It does my back in after a few goes. Gates are everywhere in the back country and unless it's significantly uphill, it's easier for me to push.

I've just spend way too much time fixing the electric gate opener that's elsewhere on our property. They don't work that well in the country with mud, snow and ice. Then add in the expense of solar and batteries, it easily a few G's to get one installed. After our neighbors last outburst about the grazing lease, they can pound sand. I'm not shelling out thousands of dollars to appease them. In the end it's their problem, not mine.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:00 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blank View Post
It's not a lot easier to "ride" through. Try strapping 10lbs weights to your ankles and throwing your leg over a 37" high obstacle. It does my back in after a few goes. Gates are everywhere in the back country and unless it's significantly uphill, it's easier for me to push.

I've just spend way too much time fixing the electric gate opener that's elsewhere on our property. They don't work that well in the country with mud, snow and ice. Then add in the expense of solar and batteries, it easily a few G's to get one installed. After our neighbors last outburst about the grazing lease, they can pound sand. I'm not shelling out thousands of dollars to appease them. In the end it's their problem, not mine.

The local sewage plant has an electric gate. When it's open beyond normal working hours, that means it's broken. It's open a lot. I can't imagine a homeowner being willing to pay for the constant maintenance. Remember the Batman TV show where the Batmobile drove over a Road Closed barrier that automatically lowered as the car approached? In real life, they would have been spending a lot of time waiting for the repairman to fix the barrier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living