Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 02:36 PM

172 posts, read 117,876 times

Advertisements

I have some land that has an easement through it that allows our neighbor ingress and egress via a gate at the back of our property. For some reason the gate and fence are about 200 feet from our actual property border. In other words, we have about 5 acres of our property that is not fenced.

I've noticed that our neighbor has started parking on the easement on "their" side of the fence/gate, but in actuality, they are on our property. They also have a lock on the gate, but the gate isn't locked.

So I went back there to confirm the location of the survey peg and sure enough the gate and where they park is on our land. I called them up to clarify the situation and to let them know not to lock the gate and to leave the gate either open or closed depending on how I left it. They replied that the gate must be closed at all times because they have horses.

I was hoping this was simply a misunderstanding about were the property lines were, but they seem to understand that the gate is on our property, but insisted that I have to keep my gate closed at all times because of their horses. They said they wouldn't lock the gate, so not sure why they have a padlock there?

Anyway I was quite shocked with their response. I asked to clarify, "the only way I can access the back 5 acres of my property without having to open my own gate, is if I move my fence/gate 200 feet to the actual border." They said yes.

I would have thought that would be their responsibility to fence in their horses, or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 03:32 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Bring a plat map and meet with them in person out there where you can both look and point and work out what you both want. It will be clearer than a phone call at this point.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:02 PM

I got the impression they don't wish to discuss it further. Our gate, on our land must be kept closed (for their benefit) according to them, end of story.

But as far as I know, their easement rights do not give them the right to control gates on our property. If they want to keep their horses off our land, then they need to put up a gate on their property.

In Colorado I believe that if we don't want livestock (including horses) on our property, we're obligated to fence them out, but since they want to keep their livestock on their property, then that's their responsibility.

Last edited by Mr Blank; 03-16-2022 at 04:18 PM..

Old 03-16-2022, 04:10 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,134,812 times
I understand that... but if you want something to happen than is different than what is now happening, I think a plat map or survey or other aerial view, and a physical walk of the property would be the most clear way to communicate.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:19 PM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times
You may need to pull out the easement document and maybe have a lawyer look at it. You have too many feelings and beliefs, not to mention impressions, about it.

A well crafted agreement will spell out most of your questions.

Or you could put your own lock on the fence and force your neighbor to cut the lock. The aftermath should make a good episode of Fear Thy Neighbor.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I understand that... but if you want something to happen than is different than what is now happening, I think a plat map or survey or other aerial view, and a physical walk of the property would be the most clear way to communicate.

I had a survey done prior to our purchase. While I agree a meeting in person at the back gate would be the best idea, it's clear they don't really care to discuss it. They just want to keep the status quo.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You may need to pull out the easement document and maybe have a lawyer look at it. You have too many feelings and beliefs, not to mention impressions, about it.

A well crafted agreement will spell out most of your questions.

Or you could put your own lock on the fence and force your neighbor to cut the lock. The aftermath should make a good episode of Fear Thy Neighbor.

I've already looked at the easement docs. There's nothing out of the ordinary in them that would suggest they have a right to decide if a gate (that's 200ft onto our property) gets to be kept open or closed. I'm pretty sure the opposite is true, from my research. We can put up a gate (open, closed locked or not) on the easement, as long as we give them the key. They have to keep the gate as it was found.

I know your just kidding, but I would never lock someone out from their property!

I want to keep things friendly with these neighbors, but are not making it easy.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:19 PM

24 posts, read 131,120 times
If they are parking on your land and it sounds like letting their horses on your land, could this situation be heading into adverse possession territory? That and potential exposure to liability resulting from them using your property would be my two biggest concerns.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:30 PM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blank View Post
I've already looked at the easement docs. There's nothing out of the ordinary in them that would suggest they have a right to decide if a gate (that's 200ft onto our property) gets to be kept open or closed. I'm pretty sure the opposite is true, from my research. We can put up a gate (open, closed locked or not) on the easement, as long as we give them the key. They have to keep the gate as it was found.

I know your just kidding, but I would never lock someone out from their property!

I want to keep things friendly with these neighbors, but are not making it easy.
Kidding? About what?

Here's some Colorado law:

https://routt.extension.colostate.ed...0land%20owners.

https://www.findlaw.com/state/colora...sion-laws.html

Old 03-16-2022, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
If they are parking on your land and it sounds like letting their horses on your land, could this situation be heading into adverse possession territory? That and potential exposure to liability resulting from them using your property would be my two biggest concerns.

Yes, we are concerned about adverse possession and liability! Not to mention it makes it much harder to enjoy that part of our property if we have to stop and open/close a gate every time we want to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living