Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 09:40 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

GOD, I HOPE NOT!

I think the lack of high speed, broad band, unlimited Internet is what keeps people away from rural and that's quite fine with me. For otherwise, more people means soon it is not rural anymore with all the disadvantages that means.

But, I know, you can't fence time and I am fighting a losing battle......can hope to be dead before the net ruins it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 12:05 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,522,078 times
Oh, it's coming. More people have moved to rural areas the last two years than ever in history, so they're going to find a way to take your mon - uh, I mean get you service. Five years ago when I moved here, I couldn't understand why all these hayseeds thought a Facebook page was a good stand-in for a website until I came to understand that so few people had reliable service, or any service, to run a site. T-Mobile kept threatening to show up with 5G internet for $50 and it didn't happen and it didn't happen some more and then it actually happened. Just this month we cut the cord and $80 a month off our budget.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:26 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,647,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We are rural and have Frontier lines, they work well, not like what we had in a city, but not bad. We are probably going to to double our speed, but I've been holding off, trying a wifi extender first.
We don't have the fastest speed Frontier/Ziply fiber has to offer, but we can stream movies from Amazom Prime Video, tubi.com, imdb, youtube, etc.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:36 AM

462 posts, read 286,613 times
Moved here in 2007. All you could get was dial-up or satellite. Tried satellite and it sucked bigtime. Put up with it for a few years and then they put up a cell tower nearby. Worked good but quite expensive. Really had to watch the data. A few years ago, a local company put up fixed wireless towers. Luckily, we are line of sight with the dish on a tower so went with that. It works well. Now, the same company is putting fibre past our house. Debating whether to go with that.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:51 AM

3,275 posts, read 1,751,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
GOD, I HOPE NOT!

I think the lack of high speed, broad band, unlimited Internet is what keeps people away from rural and that's quite fine with me. For otherwise, more people means soon it is not rural anymore with all the disadvantages that means. <snip>
Exactly. This is what attracted me to the area of NH where I currently reside. Heck, most of the local roads aren't even paved ! I'm fine with that as well because it slows down the speeders making things safer for children. Cellular reception here is notoriously bad as well due to the hilly terrain. Can't talk or text on a cell phone hearabouts either. Gee, what will people do ? Maybe shut up, pay attention to the road and drive ?

Old 06-20-2022, 07:32 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
It was what stopped my former co worker from his attempts to move in with me, make my ranch a "golden pals" place. When he found out the Net out here was unsuitable for streaming, it stopped him dead in his tracks...............

........................he's dead now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Exactly. This is what attracted me to the area of NH where I currently reside. Heck, most of the local roads aren't even paved ! I'm fine with that as well because it slows down the speeders making things safer for children. Cellular reception here is notoriously bad as well due to the hilly terrain. Can't talk or text on a cell phone hearabouts either. Gee, what will people do ? Maybe shut up, pay attention to the road and drive ?
My cell reception sucks but I think others are still getting through. My belly dancing teacher, driving me to and fro my eye appointment the other month, noted that the slow poke driver infront of us was looking down, probably texting on her phone. I've had two situations of people swaying into my lane, one majorly and the other minorly (just this morning).........

........between my love for creatures of the forest and with drivers like that, it is well to slow down, take it easy. The problem is, so many of the drivers around here want to drive the speed limit.....if not more.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-20-2022 at 07:43 AM..

Old 06-20-2022, 10:20 AM

19,784 posts, read 22,680,815 times
I have Starlink and it's FANTASTIC. My local line of sight service at most got me 20mbps but with Starlink? Right now as I type this I have this-

Until something better comes along, which would be a long ways out, I'll pay the sheckles for this service. I work from home and only go into the office once or twice a month so I need the speed and reliability. Starlink has been waaaay more reliable than my old ISP. I borrowed a man lift and put that puppy on the gable end in an afternoon and have been enjoying high speed ever since, lol.

Last edited by Threerun; 06-20-2022 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-20-2022, 10:38 AM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Oh, it's coming. More people have moved to rural areas the last two years than ever in history, so they're going to find a way to take your mon - uh, I mean get you service. Five years ago when I moved here, I couldn't understand why all these hayseeds thought a Facebook page was a good stand-in for a website until I came to understand that so few people had reliable service, or any service, to run a site. T-Mobile kept threatening to show up with 5G internet for $50 and it didn't happen and it didn't happen some more and then it actually happened. Just this month we cut the cord and $80 a month off our budget.

The big companies DO NOT CARE. The population density is not adequate for them to profitably provide any new infrastructure unless govt forces them or pays them. When I moved here, I had nothing, nada, zilch. No landline, no DSL, no cell service, no line of sight for sat TV or internet, no cable, nothing except FM radio which was mostly static. Every morning, I drove to the nearest place with a cell signal so I could check the news and my Email. I spent one year trying to get the phone company to run a line through an existing conduit from a pole <200' away, and to get Comcast to run a line from the next road over to that pole. I finally gave up and notified the state that I was being denied access to any emergency bulletins or services. Several weeks later, I finally had a landline and cable hookup. Ten years later, I still have a landline, no cell service, no sat anything, cable TV and internet where I lose the signal literally every 5 seconds, and staticky radio.

My town fought with the cell companies for years to get a tower to provide much-needed EMS communication, we finally got a tower, and I still have no service where I or most other people in town live. The topography in a lot of rural areas, particularly forested areas, does not lend itself to over-the-air communication. Fixed wiring is required and the large telecom companies are not going to provide it nor are they going to allow smaller companies to encroach on their existing areas.

Old 06-20-2022, 11:55 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Fiber internet has really been expanding the last few years in my rural area. We live on one of the streets that has cable so we've had that for years. But just a few blocks away cable didn't exist. We signed up for fiber the day they announced it was live in our area. We were all hooked and connected within 3 days - including the weekend. Couldn't wait to drop off those boxes back to Spectrum. Goodbye and good riddance. Fiber has been so much faster and consistent. It doesn't drop like cable does. Fiber even costs significantly less each month. When most people were working from home, cable here was a nightmare. It was definitely not built to have that much usage.

Old 06-20-2022, 12:13 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,660 times
Default Leap Frog

[quote=k7baixo;63646092]It’s been a hot topic for the last decade or more….millions & millions have been thrown at various entities with the promise of providing internet services for rural residents.

Why Rural Americans Keep Waiting for Fast Internet, Despite Billions Spent - WSJ

One of these broadband companies signed an agreement earlier this year with our electricity provider to use their poles for their fiber cable. Last week, contractors were running strand from pole to pole on your county road saying that they’ll be back with the fiber cable “soon”. Another crew said to expect services by the end of the year.

I thought the Star Link System would or is providing rural conectivity? Is this going to go the way Bell land lines were rejected when cell service was available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living