Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 04:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Pay-per-byte dial up is all we will ever get (Nationally protected scenic area, no dishes allowed, (starlink / hughes net, ) not enough population to support extending services for DSL, cable. No cell towers allowed)

Fiber buried in the road in front of the house, USDA-ED funded, so can only be used for libraries and schools (not home schools).

Property taxes are only $15k / yr to support our great services, and WA state now REQUIRES you disclose your internet service options and speed upon sale of residence (56k baud rate, occasionally that good)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 11:45 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Pay-per-byte dial up is all we will ever get (Nationally protected scenic area, no dishes allowed, (starlink / hughes net, ) not enough population to support extending services for DSL, cable. No cell towers allowed)

Fiber buried in the road in front of the house, USDA-ED funded, so can only be used for libraries and schools (not home schools).

Property taxes are only $15k / yr to support our great services, and WA state now REQUIRES you disclose your internet service options and speed upon sale of residence (56k baud rate, occasionally that good)
My co worker has Starlink and her property has an unobstructed view. She didn't mount it on her house- it's sitting on her deck and the cable routed into the home by the door.

I don't see how anyone could pitch a hizzy fit over that.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:59 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,107,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Not really. The 5G signal carries a much shorter distance than regular cell (4G). In an urban setting, with so many cell towers, they can add 5G antennas to most of them and get coverage. In a rural setting, where a single cell tower often covers a vast distance, no way 5G will work. They won't even add it.
When my wife got a new phone recently it was a 5G model. We speed tested her new phone vs. my older 4G phone while in the store. Most often my 4G model was faster than her 5G phone. The salesman said it was because they were using 5G nationwide service vs. actual 5G from a local tower. Most of America, outside of some neighborhoods in major cities, will only get 5G nationwide service, which is said to be only marginally faster than 4G and can get bogged down by traffic (like in a store selling new 5G phones). I tested it again at work with about half the coworkers having 5G service. I was downloading in the 60 mbs range they were getting 75 - 80 mbs on their phones. They reported ~250 mbs when they were on a dedicated 5G tower in the city.

Not sure how this will work in truly rural area vs. small towns. My in-laws living 5 miles or so outside a small town near Rapid City I often still got only 3G service on my phone as 4G was pretty spotty and much slower than in my home in a distant suburb of Boise.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:13 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Looks like StarLink is now offering service over the west HALF of the USA - Map:https://www.starlink.com/map
$110/mo plus equip costs.

I'm glad they're offering this - not because I need it (got fiber to the farm already),
but because my provider now bumped the 50mbps I was paying for ($55/mo) to 300mbps - same cost!
Also I can now get 2000mbps for $105/mo (yes 2-gig!), but I don't need that fast.
Competition is great!
I don't understand why people need 2gbps unless they are running a business with multiple (50 or more) users. I saw a facebook post bragging that they used 5GB on Starlink and I thought what for? Didn't they realize if they used that regularly that Starlink would impose a cap on everyone? As usual, a few people will be pigs and **** in the punch bowl causing everyone to suffer.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:54 PM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
I live out in the sticks about 20 miles from Cookeville TN. Eight miles from the nearest gas station, 12 miles from the nearest Dollar General. There are no businesses in my entire ZIP code except for a kayak rental place. But we have 10 gig internet out here provided by the local telephone cooperative. Over half the county has it, and the other half should have it within the next year. I don't need it, so I subscribe to just the 1 gig service which is only $65/month. The 10 gig service is $250/month which is $50 cheaper than the 10 gig service in "Gig City" Chattanooga. I also subscribe to its television service which is infinitely more reliable and much cheaper than any satellite dish I've ever used (never goes out in bad weather).

We're probably one of the few rural areas in the country with faster internet service than in urban areas. I can sit on my deck and get work done while enjoying the views. I know some people in this forum would balk at this because it's bringing in a lot of WFH people and their higher incomes, but for those of us who live here and use it, it's wonderful. I don't need to go into the office every day and can stay home more often and enjoy my beautiful Tennessee hills. With gas prices the way they are, it's saving me even more money to have this super fast internet at home so I can work from home.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-23-2022, 08:22 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I live out in the sticks about 20 miles from Cookeville TN. Eight miles from the nearest gas station, 12 miles from the nearest Dollar General. There are no businesses in my entire ZIP code except for a kayak rental place. But we have 10 gig internet out here provided by the local telephone cooperative. Over half the county has it, and the other half should have it within the next year. I don't need it, so I subscribe to just the 1 gig service which is only $65/month. The 10 gig service is $250/month which is $50 cheaper than the 10 gig service in "Gig City" Chattanooga. I also subscribe to its television service which is infinitely more reliable and much cheaper than any satellite dish I've ever used (never goes out in bad weather).

We're probably one of the few rural areas in the country with faster internet service than in urban areas. I can sit on my deck and get work done while enjoying the views. I know some people in this forum would balk at this because it's bringing in a lot of WFH people and their higher incomes, but for those of us who live here and use it, it's wonderful. I don't need to go into the office every day and can stay home more often and enjoy my beautiful Tennessee hills. With gas prices the way they are, it's saving me even more money to have this super fast internet at home so I can work from home.

What do you mean when you say "have 10 gig, have 1 gig"? Is that a speed......or a download limit?

On other fronts, if it weren't for the gaming, the streaming, all the fun stuff.......what does one need "super" internet for, anyhow? (see me as old creepy, creaky, Aunt Meeky who you are trying to sell).

Old 06-24-2022, 08:18 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What do you mean when you say "have 10 gig, have 1 gig"? Is that a speed......or a download limit?

On other fronts, if it weren't for the gaming, the streaming, all the fun stuff.......what does one need "super" internet for, anyhow? (see me as old creepy, creaky, Aunt Meeky who you are trying to sell).
Yes, that's download speeds. The vast majority of people have no use for 10 gig. Among the people in my "neighborhood" who do have it are some musicians who now compose and record in their homes without having to make the drive into Nashville. Or engineers. Even some video editors who can email and receive massive files almost instantly. A 2-hour high-def movie can be downloaded or uploaded in just 30 seconds. An entire album (younger generations don't know what that is) can be downloaded or uploaded in just a couple of seconds.

I'm not a gamer but I do enjoy watching movies online, and my job involves watching the occasional training video. 1 gig is plenty fast enough for me. It allows me to watch movies and videos and download music without any buffering or delays, even if I'm lounging on my back patio using a laptop.
Attached Thumbnails
Rural internet coming soon?-1-3797404435.jpg  

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-24-2022, 09:08 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yes, that's download speeds. The vast majority of people have no use for 10 gig. ..........

10 Gigs? WOW.......my best speed on most days is 1.7Mbps with maybe 2Mbps on some days but usually it is more like 374kbps and often, it is under 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living