Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 07:12 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,361,161 times

Advertisements

To me the best situation is living in a small town with 45 minutes of a big city. I'm in Dallas/Fort Worth. There's a ring of small towns like Granbury, Waxahachie, Sherman and Weatherford fit that description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 06:24 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Nice!

That just about says it. Though I am certainly horribly mangling the original statement (being that I'm not that smart) I remember once hearing or reading something to the effect of... stupid people talk about the things in their lives, slightly smarter people talk about other people, and the most intelligent talk about ideas.

A generalization to be sure but regardless of the size of the town one lives in it sure is essential to have some intelligent folks around you to make life interesting.
I know this is an old thread and post, but I moved from a small city to living 10 miles from the nearest town of 232 residents. My nearest neighbor is over a mile and a half away. I love it.

Per the above post , find that completely inaccurate. Perhaps it's because of the migration of people from the dog eat dog world of the cities to places where they can simply be themselves, or to live a more simple life, but some of the most intelligent people I've ever met have been rural.

I traveled the world and the country for most of my working life. Met people of every education level and intellect. Education is great for getting a good job, but some of the smartest people I've ever known only had an 8th grade to high school education.

They may not be nuclear physicists, but for innovation, invention and ideas, it's hard to beat someone that lives by their wits and adapting to life with few resources.
Most watched international politics and news closely because of the effects on markets where they sold their products.
They have to have a good grasp of what the future holds because it directly impacts their livelihood.

If you want a real philosopher, talk to a guy that spends his days thinking about the interworkings of the natural world and how that impacts the human condition. Long days running around a hayfield or grainfield on a tractor doesn't overtax your imagination, but it does allow contemplation of deeper thoughts without interruption.

Many didn't have the time or money to go to college, but living a more relaxed lifestyle allows time for reading and digesting ideas from great writers and philosophers. It's a very different kind of life from much of city life. You have to do your own intellectual stimulation instead of being part of the audience.

City life is too focused on the bottom line for thoughts of "What if..."

Old 07-04-2020, 02:12 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,800 times
Ideally, a place like Connecticut would be nice. Weekend trips to New York... best of both worlds.

I have a fascination with small towns. The people seem to be so humble. But at the same time, I heard that gossip is rampant, even moreso in smaller towns, because everyone knows everybody.

I really dislike towns where people gossip as it creates a sense of in-group bias, and I like being around people who can stay objective (doesn't matter the education level), but people who are at least open to different viewpoints.

The allure of small towns is the innocence and simplicity, but with that comes drawbacks too. Big cities can make a person feel invisible with the constant hustle and bustle of trying to pay rent in a higher priced area. However, there's so much more to do there. So many faces to meet. So many different venues that small towns do not offer.

Small towns do have a sentimentality to them.. it's heartfelt (as a visitor). The thought of having your next door neighbor a mile away is sublime.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:38 PM

138 posts, read 156,358 times
The lack of traffic is great and I hate stop lights. Thankfully as I live in a remote area, the nearest stoplight is 75 miles away.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:58 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschooldad1 View Post
The lack of traffic is great and I hate stop lights. Thankfully as I live in a remote area, the nearest stoplight is 75 miles away.
Now this sounds great

Old 07-06-2020, 06:17 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Quote:
Hey neighbor!!

I hear you. There's one blinking yellow light between my house and my old place in Helena. 168 miles. Otherwise, no traffic lights at all.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Hey neighbor!!

I hear you. There's one blinking yellow light between my house and my old place in Helena. 168 miles. Otherwise, no traffic lights at all.
Helena, that is in Montana?

Old 07-06-2020, 11:19 PM

138 posts, read 156,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Now this sounds great
Its absolutely fantastic. At a density of only 2 people per square mile, my county has lots of room to spread out. One of the most rural places in the lower 48.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Its absolutely fantastic. At a density of only 2 people per square mile, my county has lots of room to spread out. One of the most rural places in the lower 48.
Where is this? Alaska?

Old 07-08-2020, 07:50 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Where is this? Alaska?
Can't be, he said "One of the most rural places in the lower 48"

Where I live we have <10 people per square-mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living