Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:03 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
I don't understand the big beef people have with how rural areas are portrayed. Heck, big cities are portrayed as completely crime-infested cesspools, with criminals lurking around every corner and bullets whizzing all over the place. In the small town where I grew up, my grandparents would hardly ever go to Kansas City (which they usually termed 'the city', said in a disdainful manner) out of fear that they'd be shot. Hardly a statistical probability.
The difference is the big city crime is featured in reality programs ( First 48, Cops, ETC)

Rural towns are featured in fiction cuz the media can't find the rural towns to match their agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 01:01 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The difference is the big city crime is featured in reality programs ( First 48, Cops, ETC)

Rural towns are featured in fiction cuz the media can't find the rural towns to match their agenda.
What? Agenda? Is someone paranoid or what?

Soooo, Hollywood stereotypes small towns in a negative way, and no one stereotypes cities negatively? I grew up in a small town, and believe me, there's plenty of crime and other negative things going on.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
they can see the ignorance and accent in small town. but big city mice are blind to their own cruelty and ugly.
life is short, get a cat.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:18 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
What? Agenda? Is someone paranoid or what?

Soooo, Hollywood stereotypes small towns in a negative way, and no one stereotypes cities negatively? I grew up in a small town, and believe me, there's plenty of crime and other negative things going on.
So true.

They're MOVIES people. It's meant to be entertainment. 2 hours watching a guy plow a field just isn't going to sell tickets. Neither is 2 hours of a guy commuting in to his middle management job in a cubicle.

I'm seeing just as much ugly stereotyping of "city folk" in this thread as any ugly stereotyping of small towns out there. Most people in both places live pretty humdrum lives of long hours and hard work matched by family time, upkeep of their homes and time at the movies or watching TV - where they are looking for a little escapism, not more of the same.
The big "agenda" is ticket sales and commercials.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 PM

26 posts, read 181,126 times
"There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California."
-Edward Abbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I say make the movies even worse and keep the sheep in the larger cities. More room for the rest of us to spread out and enjoy our peace and quiet.
Right on, brother.

I find that you get hassled alot less if your home has an ambience about it that's a cross between "Deliverance" and "Live and Let Die". You know you're doing it right when not even the cops will slow down when driving through the area.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:06 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarog View Post
I find that you get hassled alot less if your home has an ambience about it that's a cross between "Deliverance" and "Live and Let Die". You know you're doing it right when not even the cops will slow down when driving through the area.
...of the cops don't even come to your area...

Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Movies like "Psycho", "Wrong Turn", "Deliverance", "Cabin Fever", "I Spit On Your Grave", "Vacancy", "2001 Maniacs" "The Wicker Man" "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "The Devil's Rejects", etc portray rural and small town America as a place full of crazy hicks who's favorite hobbies are murder, rape, bizarre religious cults, and cannibalism.

Ah, what do those morons in the movie industry know, anyway?

On the other hand, there are movies out that make Big City life look downright scary!!!!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:47 PM

345 posts, read 974,252 times
A trend I've noticed the past few years is one showing tons corruption and such in the 'burbs...so its not just small towns that get portrayed poorly.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:38 AM

67 posts, read 148,726 times
I think if people are that impressionable that they base their perceptions on what they see in movies and read in print.. no one can save them.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
sure a lot of liberals that believed most single males on farms are gay

( they based that on watching Brokeback Mountain)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living